COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I think she’s hit the nail on the head with her analysis of Twitter.

Twitter is full of gasbags who love to hear their own voice and political junkies - mostly of the left-wing progressive flavour, but there certainly are conservative personalities on there.

The only reason it gets such traction in the media is because media personalities and journalists are exactly the type of people who regularly use it, and thus they’ll happily write articles about the latest hashtag campaign on Twitter thinking that people are interested.

I would never engage with Twitter using an account because it clearly is just so toxic once people engage with others outside of their echo chamber circle, but it is incredibly useful for finding out what’s going on in the rumour mill because it’s so easily searchable.

What I don’t understand is why journalists and other public figures choose to have a public Twitter account. You don’t need a Twitter account to research topics (search.twitter.com works fine), so that argument is moot. If you insist on having a Twitter feed so you can follow people, just create an anonymous one so you don’t receive a pile-on direct to your inbox whenever you say something that offends someone.

Keeping a public profile with full engagement/regular tweets and blocking people you think are being abusive is clearly not a sustainable strategy. It’s as effective as swatting flies in the middle of a blistering summer.

5 Likes

Is twitter really an echo chamber? all the state and territory elections in the last 18 months would suggest that attitudes on twitter are representative of society.
I think its Leigh Sales and the Sydney media that are out of touch and in the echo chamber.

3 Likes

It’s a collection of echo chambers. I think the progressive echo chamber is by far the largest, but there are definitely conservative echo chambers as well of different flavours. It’s when the two worlds collide that all hell breaks loose.

I still don’t think it’s representative of society - the Twitter progressives seem to be far more aligned to the Greens than the relatively centrist Labor governments that have been elected over the past 18 months.

1 Like

Just out of interest, I’d be keen to know if anyone on here thinks they would like to wear a mask permanently into the future, once the coronavirus pandemic is well and truly behind us, even just as a cautious measure for other infectious diseases?

While I don’t think masks will be here forever, they are likely to be with us for quite a while. They’re not too much of a nuisance compared to other protective measures. As many have said on this forum, it’s a little price to pay to keep us safe. Not just for COVID-19, but for things like the flu as you seem to suggest.

… Speaking of the flu, there have been far less cases with all these measures like mask-wearing and lockdown. Not that a full lockdown is viable just to stop the spread of the flu, there would be economic and social issues by doing that…

1 Like

I dont think masks will be mandated forever but I do think you will see many more people wearing them - especially in workplaces and public transport. I think it will just become second nature to people. I for one will continue to wear them in the cooler months just because they make my face warmer and because you never know what sort of viruses you could be spreading.

1 Like

Texas is an interesting test case for what happens when opening up with 60% of adults fully vaccinated. Looks like the death rate is the same as previous waves from when there was no vaccine.

In other news the ACT has now overtaken the least vaccinated US states West Virginia and Wyoming.

1 Like

Under Phase C of the national reopening plan, triggered when Australia’s double vaccination rates reach 80 per cent, vaccinated Australians would be exempt from all travel restrictions.

Under the NT’s stage 3 roadmap, triggered when the Territory reaches 80 per cent full vaccination, travellers from so-called “red zones” (declared COVID hotspots) must undergo 14 days’ self-quarantine — even if they are fully vaccinated.

Unvaccinated travellers from red zones will be banned from entering the NT altogether, unless they have a pre-approved reason for travel, such as essential work.

The same rules will apply to travellers from orange zones, which will be areas with medium-level COVID risk.

Texas never really closed. Stay at home orders (not that they were ever strict or enforced in the US) ended over 12 months ago.

I would be wearing a mask on public transport/planes etc in the medium or long term.

1 Like

Here in regional Qld we’ve only had to wear masks once for 2 weeks and the only lockdown was last year but was weird because ice cream shop could open, hairdresser, bank ,post office all was open. Big W was also open. All I remember was food was takeaway no dine in.

QLD Update: 1 new local case - linked to Sunnybank cluster - detected in home quarantine - not infectious in the community

1 Like

some changes to the leaderboard in the last 2 days. WA has overtaken Qld, Victoria overtook Tas in single dose, but fell behind SA in double dose.

I’m really worried about SA, QLD and WA. Half the people I talk to in SA just seem to think covid isn’t an issue for them and want to wait and see.

You’d think what’s happening in NSW & Victoria would be enough of an inducement for anyone in Queensland, WA and SA to get jabbed…

2 Likes

i dont think i’d be concerned about those states … yet. they are fully utilising the doses they are being provided, so it wouldn’t make much sense for their leaders to push people to get vaccines that don’t exist.

I’d hope that changes next week when the UK doses come online and moderna is available.

2 Likes

I am worried about the hesitancy just from conversations I am having. I think it’s going to be an uphill battle for them to get to 70% let alone 80%.

You do have to remember that SA still has Astrazeneca second shots at 12 instead of 4-8 weeks like in NSW & Vic. I’m sure SA will get there eventually.

It’s not the second shot that’s the worry though. It’s the first and the hesitancy from so many I am talking to.