COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Agree with this, some places have a sign but never mention it, or if they do they arenā€™t enforcing it. Some places have nothing. Itā€™s piss poor.

4 Likes

Itā€™s just so good and easy in SA. If anyone has been they would understand. Every single shop has it as well. Even petrol stations. But here itā€™s just not as good. And it takes time. Also all places have a different template with different questions. I was shocked at how terrible it was.

1 Like

Whoā€™s responsibility is it though? We all know we need to do it. Businesses all know they need to do it. Should the government be using resources to go to every business in the state to verify?

Thereā€™s a bit of we are adults, we need to act like it I think.

3 Likes

I would be one of them, I have heard a lot of stories of people abusing the system and travelling to Australia to visit family over xmas or dodge a European lockdown, with every intention to travel back asap. They arenā€™t all in the dire straights that the anecdotes on the news would suggest. Take a look at the Aussies in London facebook group to see some of the attitudes towards covid among the potential incoming travelers.

It was mentioned in the NSW presser today that by Jan 25 there will have been more hotel quarantine placements than there were people stranded when the program started. so clearly there are a lot of people that have left since the borders closed, those people knew the risks that they were taking, so I donā€™t think they need any sympathy.

Its been a year, I always thought hotel quarantine was a means to an end. I think the best system now would be a small program that is better targeted. ie. only available towards people that fulfill a strict compassionate, medical or economic criteria. Hopefully that can be done with the new, reduced capacity.

1 Like

Well itā€™s the governments responsibility to contact trace. Yes every business should be doing it. But having one system that links back to the government website would make it a lot easier for businesses and the government. As I said in SA it is just so much easier. You donā€™t even need to fill in your details. All you need to do is put your camera up to the barcode and click submit. It is why everyone there is doing it. I donā€™t see anyone doing it in Victoria. Nor do I see it on every shop window. I went into about 5 shops yesterday without a QR option. It is really really bad here. But if the government stepped in and made a universal system, like they have done on SA, it would be so much better.

You can only learn from other states. Just like people in other states can learn from Victoria and their mask policy. Itā€™s ok not to be doing everything perfect. And thatā€™s ok they are responding to a pandemic they have never experienced before. We need to be questioning these so called ā€˜expertsā€™. Look at what is happening in the UK with over 1000 deaths. Should they not be questioning their government because they are the experts?

2 Likes

The Vic Government do have their own QR system though, that businesses are able to download via Service Victoria. The Government wants them to use that instead of businesses creating their own so itā€™s easier to contact trace.

Iā€™ve been to several places now that have the Service Victoria QR code system in place. It tracks where youā€™ve been etc, which is great. Itā€™s a shame that more businesses have not opted to use the Service Victoria QR code. It should actually be made mandatory for all businesses to use the Service Victoria QR code system.

I agree, some businesses donā€™t give a rats if you scanned or given details upon entry. While you canā€™t even set foot in some without scanning and hand sanitizer upon entry - those ones I feel safer attending.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good they have it but they should make it mandatory like other states have done now

1 Like

Victoriaā€™s latest numbers -

So far so good. Now four days of no new local cases.

https://twitter.com/vicgovdhhs/status/1348019233372971014?s=21

Yes - I agree.

2 Likes

A lot of the players are already here and started arriving this week. Melbourneā€™s passenger intake is not reducing either, its other states that are reducing numbers.

There are a lot more players than that. The qualifiers are there to determine the wild card spots, they are not early rounds of the Aus Open and donā€™t make the AO any shorter.

Same when I got my haircut on Friday. Nobody in the barber was wearing a mask, not even the guy at the desk, which I thought was odd.

2 Likes

Victorian health minister Martin Foley said that one of the six is an international flight crew member, the rest are returned travellers. The flight crew member who had tested positive is now quarantining at a flight crew hotel.

1 Like

Iā€™ve spoken to a few living in the UK and it seems because Covid is so widespread thereā€™s a feeling of ā€œno-one is following the rules so I wonā€™t eitherā€, with stories Iā€™ve heard of people not self-isolating when theyā€™ve returned to the UK (when rules said they had to), going to the offices when WFH should be the option etc.

Whereas in Australia/NZ, because the outbreaks have been relatively small/contained thereā€™s a willingness to ā€œplay your partā€. Yes, thereā€™s been slip-ups (Victoria ) but by and large itā€™s been a collective effort.

3 Likes

Yeah I had a friend that was in Spain and told to self isolate. She got to day 7 and was bored so starting going for walks. I was in shock and said why arenā€™t you taking it seriously. She just said no one else does it.

2 Likes

Yep, similar story to the one I was relayed.

2 Likes

So who is telling the truth?

Seems like Itā€™s Gladysā€™ way or the highway.

3 Likes

Victoria disputed Ms Berejiklianā€™s suggestions that it did not inform NSW before the decision was made, and said NSW health authorities and ministers had been kept up to date.

Victorian health officials told an Australian Health Protection Principal Committee at noon on December 31, attended by NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant, that the state was ā€œstrongly consideringā€ a border closure, according to the meetingā€™s minutes. At 3.30pm that day, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan announced the closure.

They gave the NSW CHO via the AHPPC 3 hours and 30 minutes notice of ā€˜strongly consideringā€™ a border closure before actually announcing the border closure? That doesnā€™t seem like much notice to meā€¦

1 Like

Especially in contrast to the several days of discussions and mutual consensus that was reached back in July.

A COVID-19 death at the Vatican. If the manā€™s death is included in the COVID cases at the Vatican, his will be the first death.

Victoriaā€™s latest numbers -

https://twitter.com/vicgovdhhs/status/1348378547426103302?s=21

Itā€™s called a pandemic. Things can change quickly. It doesnā€™t run on NSW time nor when NSW want it their way.

How much notice do you think that WA and QLD give when they close their borders at the top of a hat? Especially WA. It seems 1 local case and itā€™s closed.

4 Likes