COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

For all the analysis that Victoria closing the border to NSW was because of a lack of confidence in contact tracing here, what does slashing the amount allowed through the nationā€™s border show about the lack of confidence in the management of hotel quarantine?

We need to get Australians who want to come home, home. Itā€™s more important now thereā€™s this more dangerous variant - do we need to have Australians dying of COVID overseas while waiting for flights home before we take this more seriously?

This surely also means not running the AO? How could we allow a thousand tennis players to Quarantine in Victoria when weā€™ve just halved intakes of Australians?

5 Likes

There wonā€™t be. Where did you get this number from?

Made it up, I donā€™t think theyā€™ve announced the exact number of players. But apparently in 2019 the number of total players was 769 - not sure if that excludes or includes qualifying.

Plus, thereā€™s the implied that the players can bring coaches/managers. So any offset by a lower total player count, and those who are Australians, could be filled with non-playing people who will travel for the event.

So yeah, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a wildly outsized estimate, if you have a source that disproves me, go for it. It doesnā€™t take away the point though.

Itā€™s only the players involved in the ā€˜finalsā€™. Qualifying is in Qatar. I know that there will be 32 women in the warmup tournaments, 8 wheelchair competitors, and presumably 32 men. With support (physio and coach), that makes 216. So there might be 250-300 people coming in.

Iā€™m sure I heard that number. With players and personnel.

Agree 100%. It is quite disturbing how little the government is doing to its overseas citizens. Yet they are happy to give a diplomat a plane to travel across the globe. This could all be solved by mandated negative tests before travelling which will reduce the amount of cases in HQ on return.

2 Likes

As cruel as it sounds, I suspect the feds have tested the issue with focus groups and found that the masses donā€™t care enough to put any effort into trying to bring back those that are stranded overseas.

3 Likes

People donā€™t care and itā€™s disgusting. You just have to look at the attitude most have about the fact VIC has closed its border and not even allow Victorian residents to return to understand the attitude of the general public and it is disgusting.

What are the rules around masks in hairdressers in Victoria?

1 Like

When Victoria moved to ā€˜COVID Normalā€™, they were able to be taken off during the appointment. However, I am not sure since the NYE announcement on masks, as they were made mandatory indoors. I have an appointment on Wednesday so I guess Iā€™ll soon see.

1 Like

I went today and had my mask on and got told to take it off. My hairdresser wasnā€™t even wearing one so found it a bit strange.

Airflow blamed for super spreader event at restaurant

By Aisha Dow

The Black Rock restaurant ā€œsuper-spreadingā€ event at the centre of Victoriaā€™s latest coronavirus outbreak was likely fuelled by the venueā€™s airflow and seating arrangements, despite the restaurant abiding by density rules.

Eleven of the 37 patrons who dined at the Smile Buffalo Thai restaurant on the night of December 21 tested positive to the virus after visiting between 7pm and 9.30pm.

Significantly, the group was not all on the same table, nor even in the same area of the restaurant.

The identity of the person or people who were infectious with coronavirus that night is still yet to be discovered.

It appears the Smile Buffalo Thai does not have any opening windows to the street, just a single door providing entry off Beach Road. There is no suggestion the venue did anything wrong, rather the Health Department confirmed that they had been respecting density rules, which require venues with more than 25 patrons to limit customers to one person for every two square metres.

That is confusing. I thought we had been told it was from someone who travelled from Sydney. How can they not know the person who was infectious that night? They would have tested everyone.

while that is true. they are yet to find the vehicle ie the carrier of the virus from Sydney

Your hairdresser definitely should have work one.

1 Like

That is even more concerning. I just donā€™t understand how they couldnā€™t figure out who was the person infectious at the venue. I can see why Victoria are doing hard borders there are clearly still issues with their contact tracers.

Do I need to wear a face mask while receiving a beauty and personal service?

You must wear a face mask while you receive a beauty or personal service.

However, you can remove your face mask if you are receiving a service or treatment that requires a face mask to be removed so it can be performed. This includes facials, certain face tattoos, lip waxing, or certain face piercings.

The person providing the service must wear a face mask.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me if the Black Rock cluster and MCG are somehow linked to each other. Yes - they are linked to NSW but to who though, both links havenā€™t been found.

Contact tracers can only be as good as what people tell them. Just look at the Shepparton track driver for example.

3 Likes
1 Like

Exactly which is why the government here in Victoria really needs to ramp up the QR codeā€™s. They are not being used effectively enough here in Victoria. South Australia is miles ahead with this. It would make contact tracing so much easier.

2 Likes