COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

NSW has reported 11 new cases of locally transmitted COVID 19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. Three cases in overseas travellers in hotel quarantine were also diagnosed. pic.twitter.com/AXWuxs9ny2

— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) October 14, 2020

At what point do we say “Restrictions need to be increased”?!

Concerning that we’ve now got more community transmission than Victoria again.

3 Likes

Are they all from known clusters though?

2 Likes

The 11 cases are from known clusters.
NSW Health usually reveals the daily data at around 11am Sydney time. It didn’t reveal the latest data until just after 11.30am today which normally means bad news.

1 Like

I don’t think its too bad. It is just two known clusters that these cases are coming from. I don’t think you can keep locking down on two known clusters. It has gotten to the point where we need to learn to live with this and adapt. They seem to have been good at tracing.

1 Like

Isn’t the source of the cluster still unknown though?

Depends on where the deaths come from. People die in aged care and they may never have been admitted to hospital or those in hospital that never went to ICU i.e. older patients that may be DNR.

looks like someone did a stocktake of the active cases in Vic. first decent daily decrease in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Cool, but let’s not get excited about any single day. The trend is what really matters.

2 Likes

You’ve been saying for months now that restrictions should be increased in NSW, yet they’ve maintained sustainable numbers all of this time. There is absolutely no reason to increase restrictions. Most of the cases in Sydney are linked to clusters and there is no evidence of any widespread problem, just a low level of virus bubbling away. NSW has proven for months exactly how a city of it’s size is able to live with low levels of the virus. Victoria are soon going to have to live a similar way.

It’s not just one day though - it’s been a consistent steady downward trend of active cases. To go from 1000+ active cases to under 200 in a month is pretty massive. Given the lower numbers the past 2-3 weeks there’s no reason it won’t remain below 200 (and get a fair bit lower in time too).

1 Like

They’re only looking at putting on hold some loosening of restrictions. I don’t think we need to act just yet. It’s only confined to one geographical area and they’re all connected at this stage. Looks like they’re moving quick to clamp it down but the testing rate is down. They need more people to get tested.

6 Likes

Queensland

• 0 new case
  • 2 active cases

A woman in Melbourne has tested positive who has travelled through Queensland. It’s most likely she contracted COVID in Melbourne. However, Q Health contact tracers have asked a number of people who may have been in contact with her to quarantine themselves for 14 days and get tested.

There is also a health alert - though very low risk - for locations and flights as a result.

2 Likes

I’m really getting sick of the media comparing NSW and VIC. Saying that NSW would be in lockdown with their numbers or VIC should be open as NSW has managed their case numbers. Etc etc

• NSW aren’t coming out of a 700 cases a day second wave.
  • NSW hasn’t seen the level of community transmission as Victoria has seen.
  • VIC has 182 active cases. NSW has 40 active cases

They need to stop going on about the VIC ‘roadmap’ too on easing of restrictions. Andrews’ has always said that it not set in stone and could be move forward if need be. Like, moving to the Second Step for example. That was bought forward by a week. Some restrictions will be eased this weekend but unfortunately not all. Even with the thresholds, he had said - 10 cases a day could be the 5 and 5 cases a day could be the 0. This is a ever changing situation.

The media need to put all of that into prospective and stop trying to cause anger in the community. It’s not helping anyone.

7 Likes

Yeah I agree. And I am sick of people suggesting Sydney should be imposing restrictions. The issue for Victoria is still those mystery cases. For every mystery case there is at least another case from where that came from. That is the real concern for Victoria and the reason why things are taking some time.

Sydney on the other hand know all the clusters and where they have come from.

4 Likes

VIC’s latest numbers -

5 Likes

100%. NSW and VIC are not an equal comparison. As Dan put it the other day, NSW have been chasing a trickle of cases for a few months where VIC are just weeks out of hundreds of cases per day.

There is also no reason for NSW to impose restrictions. There are people on here that have been calling that since July and I just can’t understand the logic. Victoria will soon have to live a similar way to NSW and need to accept a low level of virus that is manageable in the community.

4 Likes

Oh wow. That is awesome. Second day of consistantly low figures… If this sustains a couple more days I think Sundays easing could look better than expected. Looks like no new cases in Shepparton either.

4 of the unknown source cases drop out of the 14 days by Sunday so hopefully that can land closer to 10.

3 Likes

Unknown cases are still high at 15 though.

2 Likes

Unknown sources will drop when contact tracing improves, I bet a lot of these are linked somehow they just haven’t been able to establish it.
In the past 14 days there have been 11 new unknown. It’s less than 1 per day. It’s only at 15 in that tally because they are reporting 16/17 days out for unknown cases. Like I said a few drop out by Sunday so no reason to be alarmed. It will only increase after today if more than 1-2 are reported per day.

I wonder how many of those cases from unknown origins are because of people like this truck driver:

And those running the partisan campaign against Victoria’s premier should ease up now, before someone is seriously hurt or killed:

Meanwhile, police are investigating after Mr Andrews’ electorate office was vandalised for the second time in less than a month.

His Noble Park office was cordoned off after “Sack Dan” was spray painted on the office and one of the windows cracked, apparently by a thrown brick.