COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

A sticker?

Isnā€™t an interstate number plate an obvious sign that itā€™s not a local?

3 Likes

However, people who live in NSW will be allowed to regularly come to QLD at border crossings if there is a good reason - work for example and they wouldnā€™t have QLD licence plates.

3 Likes

Lunchtime 24/3 adjustments, states where figures have updated are in ITALICSā€¦

NATIONALLY: 6677-22577

WA: 440-2840
NSW: 2904-5004
QLD: 1219-3619
SA: 644-3044
VIC: 1195-3295
TAS: 118-2518
ACT: 137-2237
NT: 20 cases either way (again assumed figure ,currently at 5)

There are now 8 deceased, a passenger off the last ship in her 70s passed away. Again not in the age bracket where younger people will take it seriously.

1 Like

I feel sorry for the staff working at Sunraysia Daily. Even though the paper will suspend printing this weekend, surely the paper can keep the website running? Itā€™s not fair to the locals who want to know the latest on the coronavirus outbreak in the region.

Actually, sales of The Daily Telegraph increased over the past week according to The Australian yesterday, and News Corp had to increase the print run each day.

4 Likes

Sorry, I should have clarified, anything you touch in a supermarket, bakery, bank, the traffic light button to cross the road etc carryā€™s a risk. When I posted my original post, news just broke where I live, that there has been one confirmed case of Covid 19 in the area, everyone in this town is a bit panicky atm, so I wasnā€™t exactly thinking clearly when I sent my original post!

1 Like

A bit of anxiety is understandable. Iā€™m quite anxious too. But I think we all need to keep calm and not panic. If we take precautions, then thereā€™s a good chance that we will never contract the virus.

11 Likes

Better than good, even in Italy the rate only about 1 in every 1,000. Here itā€™s about 1 in every 13,000 and rate of serious infections is less than 5%.

Still we canā€™t be complacent. I can understand the anxiety too, particularly when itā€™s so close to you.

7 Likes

This is about the first time ive seen a response anywhere in the reverse of scaremongering, and on the more positive side. Agree, its all very serious, but its nice to see some data that reflects the good rather than the constant bad.

8 Likes

Iā€™m surprised by that as there are less people out and about.

Not to mention the probably thousands of mild cases that are flying under the radar. The true mortality rate may not even be 1% but I agree itā€™s likely still substantially more than garden variety flu. The propensity of COVID-19 to kill those most vulnerable is reason alone for significant containment measures, though.

2 Likes
1 Like

NZ are moving to essentials only from tomorrow night. The only Retail store that will be open is Supermarket. This is for 4 weeks.

We surely must be on the verge of that here. UK, now NZ.

Woolworths and Coles are most certainly going to be pushed to the limits in the next month or two. On the staff front, they will have an abundance of staff from Kmart/Target to Coles, and BIGW to Woolworths to assist.

3 Likes

Sunraysia Daily is not the only regional paper to suspend publication. Several other papers in north western Victoria and south Gippsland will also print their last edition (for now) by the end of this week.

I smell something fishy.

2 Likes

Coles demerged from Wesfarmers. They are under no obligation to send their staff to work at Coles.

2 Likes

There havenā€™t been many people in the shops (here) the last few days anyway. I canā€™t see that closing more stores is going to help much, will probably do more harm than good overall when you factor in the cost to the economy.

Woolworth and Coles have done the equivalent of 3 Christmases back to back in the last 3 weeks. I canā€™t imagine things being any worse than that, a lot of people have been stockpiling so that they wonā€™t need to buy as much from here on in.

Whatā€™s REALLY need is for infected people to STAY THE HELL AWAY from everyone else.

1 Like

The real problem lies with the asymptomatic/very mild cases- hence the need for everyone to practice social distancing.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen anything like this before.

4 Likes

ā€˜Lead usā€™: Carrie slams Govtā€™s advice:

4 Likes

ok regarding the staying home unless its essantional travel. i was hoping to see my eleldry parents on friday and coming home monday . should i still go ahead? i still think in my mind this is essnetional

Only if they need your help or is necessary. If itā€™s just to visit, itā€™s being discouraged. Especially if they are elderly.

2 Likes