COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

I am pretty sure it’s not the school that allows it. Perhaps parents need to educate children on social norms. Can’t expect schools to do all the teaching…

1 Like

Ive said this before but it probably has a lot to do with trust of the government and the mixed messages they keep providing. Like saying non essential activities to stop but keeping schools, malls, hairdressers open… it’s confusing to people and of course they think it’s over the top because the messages are unclear and mixed.

For beginners government should stop parliament and do it over the internet to encourage working from home. Set a fucken example Morrison. It was also only two weeks ago that our leader was bragging about going to a rugby match…

2 Likes

I saw six teenage girls sitting on the ground outside Westfield eating lunch. They were obviously not all from the same family, but they were all sitting very close to each other as girls of that age who are friends usually do. I also saw a group of about five teenage boys walking through Westfield who were very close to each and making no attempt to avoid other people. To me neither group were taking the current situation seriously.

Aside my from friend, I am actively trying to avoid getting close to people. At Bunnings tonight if there was someone in an aisle I went to the next aisle to get through. Earlier at Coles I gave everyone else a wide berth.

2 Likes

This is the first post of a long thread. She writes in another post that he is being sent home to die. New York City isn’t coping with COVID-19 as it has spread too big too fast.

3 Likes

There’s also Netflix Stan and Amazon Prime. I need to catch up on my shows I’ve got on my watch list. My job is safe for now as I work in hospital admin so I’m thankful for that. But my partner we aren’t so sure as he’s a high school teacher. We will soon see. Fingers crossed !

3 Likes

Just spitballing with some work colleagues, I’ve realised that at post the next few weeks through online shopping will either see us be smashed with parcels and packages from the likes of Target and K-Mart, or basically have next to no work at all, particularly after the council elections are done.

I’ve also tried to make some guesses as to the range of cumulative cases on the 7th of April (scarily just 2 weeks away) with my guesstimates relying upon what percentage of the tested cases were positive, and the increases day upon day being relatively uniform, with additions made to positive cases for further experimentation. For the exercise I’ve assumed there would be 20 cases in the Northern Territory as no information as to the number of tests conducted are available. First number would be absolute best case scenario, second number more likely looking at current figures. I adjust daily when I can find figures that are either 100% confirmed or near confirmed, or realistically estimated should an exact figure not be available. These are also KNOWN cases, so many can speculate from there for a figure when those ineligible to be tested are added.

NATIONALLY: 6617-23417

WA: 440-2840
NSW: 2709-5109
QLD: 1219-3619
SA: 644-3044
VIC: 1240-3640
TAS: 118-2518
ACT: 227-2627
NT: 20 cases either way (again assumed figure)

Not sure how accurate that will be or how much will be adjusted based on tomorrows figures being released. Some states (NSW, WA, ACT) are easier to somewhat project than others as their testing figures can easily be calculated/are available.

Some will get closer to 54000 if a simple doubling every 3 days happens, but I’m not so convinced that that will apply in later weeks as the cumulative number increases. It would need major community spreading/an increase in accurate testing for that to happen. I say accurate testing because the newer kits developed apparently are reportedly only about 60% accurate.

But:

#confused

1 Like

I live with my friend and close contact is unavoidable.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I was due to have a dental checkup today, but it was cancelled yesterday after the dentist told me he wasn’t sure if his practice would be continuing after today.

5 Likes

Dentist friend of mine similarly has effectively lost his job, as his practice is winding down.

Almost 150 cases in NSW alone overnight.

2 Likes

I had my scheduled dental check up two weeks ago and the next one isn’t due until September, by the time coronavirus outbreak should ease (I hope).

4 Likes

https://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/news/1098449/sunraysia-daily-to-suspend-printing-stand-down-staff

I wonder if Nine and News could suspend printing or reduce the amount of newspapers being printed as sales have undoubtedly fallen and will continue to fall

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be buying a print newspaper at the supermarket or newsagent atm, because you wouldn’t know who touched it last.

1 Like

That’s really over the top. You could say that about everything you might be buying at the supermarket, butcher or grocery shop too.

Do you plan on not touching any food or drinks for the next 6 months, 12 months or how ever long?

6 Likes

RUSH - seems like a really good time to start a new FTA multichannel (NOT) :smile: Perhaps Nine should put this on hold for the moment.

5 Likes

QLD Premiere is explaining the “border closure”. Stay in your state - stay in your suburb. “We do not want people coming to Queensland to have a holiday …”.

Working on potentially having a sticker for cars that regularly cross.

3 Likes

Absolutely devastating for the Gold Coast

1 Like

Also announced that Queenslands will receive a $200 credit on their next electricity bill.

1 Like