COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Yep. Agreed.

Exactly - donā€™t how it wasnā€™t foreseen that making tens of thousands of people register for Centrelink wouldnā€™t have led to long lines outside Centerlink offices, long waiting times contacting Human Services and the my Gov website crashing.

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/1241936787901001728

1 Like

I want to punch this guyā€™s face. Could they have made Generic Centrelink Virtual Customer Service Agentā€™s head bubble look any more smug?

4 Likes

Premier Palaszczukā€™s office said all arrivals to Queensland, from overseas and interstate, will have to self-isolate for 14 days from midnight (QLD time) on Wednesday. More details on how the border shutdown will be managed along the southern border with NSW (particularly Coolangatta / Tweed Heads area) will be revealed tomorrow (Tuesday).

2 Likes

Super Netball has become the latest sporting league which has had to postpone their season due to the Coronavirus

1 Like

A new word for lexicographers

3 Likes

A side effect of licensed clubs and pubs being shut down due to the new Federal Government rules is the closure of TAB outlets which are located inside the premises. I reckon this will severely affect betting turnover for the upcoming autumn racing carnival in Sydney (if it is allowed to continue) as there are not many standalone TAB outlets across Australia.

2 Likes

Really? I would have thought that addicted punters (bar the boomers who canā€™t operate a calculator properly) would go straight to online punting.

2 Likes

Online operators like Sportsbet will benefit while TAB will take a hit.

Even though TAB also has online betting?

1 Like

Just out of curiosity what non news shows are still in production this week? I have the following bellow:

The Block
Masterchef
Ninja Warriors
Big Brother
Neighbours
Dancing with the Stars
Better Homes and Gardens
Hot Seat
The Chase
Shaun Micallef - Mad as Hell
Gardening Australia
Goggle Box
Footy Classified
Sunday Footy Shows
Sports Sunday
Outsiders
Talking Footy
AFL Game Day
The Front Bar

Iā€™m assuming a lot of the sports based shows will stop after this week. Any word on the other programmes?

If the VIC/NSWs borders are closed then I think most will need to stop.

Iā€™m amazed that there are still people who think all these measures are over the top and that the government is exaggerating etc etc. Makes you wonder at the intelligence of the population.

6 Likes

Iā€™d probably say that all TV productions aside from news/current affairs programs are at risk of shutting down soon.

2 Likes

I would say seven would be regretting axing Sunday Night now days.

3 Likes

When your workplace is too small for social distancing :wink:

4 Likes

Which is was always going to happen, it was a matter of when not if. I by the way donā€™t want to live in martial law.

2 Likes

Could be a taste of whatā€™s to come for Coolangatta and Tweed Heads when Queensland closes its borders this Wednesday at midnight.

2 Likes

I was in at work today feeling sorry for all the parents needing to buy laptops and tablets for their children ready for online learning. Broke my heart a little bit knowing that many families cannot afford this expense or could only afford the entry level devices (thinking this was a bad thing, in a school setting these devices are usually enough) :sob:

A lot were stressing about the additional costs such as Microsoft Office 365, however I simply told them that this is freely available for State School Students, and also told them about free services such as the Google suite of apps. I also showed parents the ins and outs of these programs in my spare time, It felt good seeing some form of stress being relieved in these hard times :blush:

Iā€™m just hoping other sales people across the State today were doing the same and not up-selling unnecessary products.

11 Likes

The closing of Queensland borders is not directly aimed at the land border with NSW and people either side of it. It is primarily aimed at stopping people from Sydney and Melbourne coming to Queensland because those are the big two places where human to human virus transfer has been seen in the general population; it hasnā€™t been seen in NNSW. The usual transfer of people across the land border for work/school/shopping/freight/commerce wonā€™t be affected.

4 Likes