COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Itā€™s not about being fair. We donā€™t have a choice right now. Would you rather it be ā€˜fairā€™ and everyone gets the virus?

8 Likes

The lockdown should be smaller, just to the ten hotspot suburbs, and not the surrounding ones which have the same postcode(s).
There is only so much sacrifice these people and businesses can give.

77 new coronavirus cases in Victoria overnight. The state now has 415 active cases

ā€¢ 13 linked to outbreaks
ā€¢ 37 detected through routine testing
ā€¢ 0 in hotel quarantine
ā€¢ 27 under investigation

1 Like

agree to disagree

1 Like

1 Like

I have an answer for the Chief Health Officer: rural Victoria should not go into a shutdown because of high number of cases in metropolitan Melbourne. They have nothing to do with this.

ended up at 51,097, Itā€™s usually Thursday and Friday that are the peak of the weekly cycle in the US. so they could break an international record this week. (Brazil has a day of 55k after the courts ruled Bolsenaroā€™s suppression of numbers was illegal.)

1 Like

this why they have the lockdown the 10 suburbs so it dont get into other suburbs and if it does they will do more door knocking and testing to get the numbers down 1st and if they dont work then and only then will they look at lockdowing more suburbs. this is so it doesnt get back into rural and regional victroia

2 Likes

isnt that exactly what he is doing? shutting down 10 targeted postcodes in metro melbourne.

3 Likes

Post codes are simply the most practical way to quickly identify areas. As the Premier has said, everyone knows their postcode. Any other system would be much harder to quickly communicate, and clear communication to the whole city is far more important than the people at the boundaries of these post codes.

There is support payments from the state Government for those impacted, especially for businesses. The Government has clear powers in legislation to do these health based lockdowns, any legal action should be laughed out of court.

5 Likes

No I donā€™t agree with this. Most people in these suburbs probably interact with surrounding suburbs too. Whether itā€™s friends/family in the area, or go to the gym down the road that is a diff suburb. There is no perfect way of doing this but postcode is the easiest for many reasons.

People need to stop talking about whatā€™s fair and what people might do to breach these rules. The Government are trying to contain a virus thatā€™s a problem in a specific area. I would be frustrated too if I lived in that area and had been doing the right thing but itā€™s got to the point where this is necessary. There is also a point where people need to take responsibility. If people work in the city and then go to the cinema (which probably isnā€™t open anyway) then thatā€™s wrong but you canā€™t police every individual 24/7. The idea is about limiting the amount of movement and interactions as much as possible by people in a hotspot to drive numbers down. It will never be perfect but will hopefully get us on top of this.

6 Likes

Oh please donā€™t be ridiculous.

Thereā€™s no pleasing some people.

Earlier, with some reason, people complained that restrictions were state-wide while the problem was only in the big cities and restrictions shouldnā€™t apply to regional areas which donā€™t have the same case numbers, now when the government has limited the restrictions to just the postcode areas with outbreaks, somehow thatā€™s still not good enough.

Weā€™re not experts, so letā€™s give some deference to the health professionals and listen to their recommendations.

It seems reasonable to have a buffer around known outbreak locations, to try and stop the spread (just restricting an individual, or household, would be so minimal as to be ineffective), and postcodes in Australia are sometimes large, but they do tend to reflect the number of houses/buildings so using them for these restrictions (especially in a large city) is logical.

8 Likes

The world total recorded 197k in new cased within the last 24 hours. I believe that is a new record? USA, Brazil, India, South Africa, Russia and Mexico, seem to be driving this massive surge in new cases.

iā€™m sure if they shut down by suburb there would still be people saying ā€œwhy am i affected because i share a suburb, why not lockdown by block or streetā€ The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Viruses spread, they dont respect suburb borderlines. if you wait for evidence that is has spread to do something about it, its too late.

2 Likes

Iā€™d argue that itā€™s more likely residents would know the name of their suburb. Some people are not very good with numbers.

2 Likes

Not everyone knows their mobile phone number these days, and as less and less people use the postal system I suspect there would be some people who donā€™t know their postcode without looking it up.

1 Like

But do they know the correct suburb name? Plenty of people might associate with a broader area name that doesnā€™t apply to their actual suburb.

Iā€™ve lived at a number of places where Iā€™d get different suburb names on mail from different sources - as they were all in the same postcode. So if they said one of those was locked down and not the other, itā€™d be more confusing than just locking down both.

As for people knowing - Iā€™d expect the vast majority to know - people need to get packages delivered, or have bills come in addressed to them.

1 Like

I received this text message earlier advising if I live in 3055 thereā€™s only four reasons to leave home.

For the record, I donā€™t live in 3055 but I do live and work near that postcode though.

2 Likes

That phone number the message came from is GOLD!

3 Likes

yep, im pretty sure there are about 12 suburbs of melbourne that refer to themselves as ā€˜Essendonā€™.