COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Yes and no, whilst it’s only 2.8 infections per 1000, extrapolate that across 300,000 people in the affected postcodes, that’s 855 infections.

Isn’t the Victorian Government already offering financial assistance to businesses impacted?

5 Likes
1 Like

Yes, but there are reports that some businesses may not survive the second lockdown despite government assistance.

All I can say is… if we don’t get Victoria under control it will only be a mater of time until we see outbreaks appearing in other states. We saw two examples today of how easy this virus spreads with 1 case in NSWs and another in the NT.

4 Likes

The cluster at Coles’ Laverton Distribution Centre is affecting supermarket supplies due to short staffing, necessitating new product limits. Hey, those panic buyers might have been onto something.

1 Like

Using drones is draconian.
All the mental health support for people suffering lockdown is not enough, the Victorian Government must promise no more lockdowns in future. This will only increase social divide.
I think people living in these 36 suburbs should leave their cars at home and travel by public transport if possible.

I think 27,000 tests in one day is quite the feat regardless of the positive cases and that is what I was highlighting. It’s a great accomplishment to get that many done in one day.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t know my postcode. I actually had to look it up.

2 Likes

i disagree 100 % the govt doenst have to promise anything. if anything must do all that they can do get top on this even if it means more lockdowns by postcode. and with some one with mental illness i can say iam ok with everything the govt has done and will do.

2 Likes

Wow. And we wonder why some people just don’t get it.

Stop listening to the Victorian Liberal Party talking points, they’re bad for our state’s health.

6 Likes

Ridiculous.
They would be insane to promise this. Eliminating the virus has to be prioritised over all else - businesses, lifestyles, jobs etc. Or else it will be even longer.

11 Likes

Today they were calling for Health Minister Jenny Mikakos to be sacked due to the hotel quarantine debacle. They seriously have nothing else better to do. Hope they enjoy opposition even more after the 2022 election

5 Likes

I am not saying I disagree but do you think elimination is ever a possibility in Australia? And if they don’t eliminate when can other issues become a priority? We saw issues such as black lives matter pushed aside by the government because of the pandemic and we can’t let other issues just slip in the next 18 months just because we are trying to eliminate covid19

2 Likes

Surely you are trolling…

5 Likes

Elimination should be the mentality and decisions should be made with it in mind, certainly until the end of the year at least anyway.

While I appreciate what you mean about “other issues”, the reality is the virus is going to shape decisions made over the next 2, 5, 10 years and the better the coming months are controlled, the better we can deal with other issues and a “new reality”.

5 Likes

Are you mates with Tim Smith MP?

7 Likes

Look I am not trying to argue but I think it’s an important conversation to have. So do things like domestic violence just get ignored until the end of the year?

It’s a discussion, not an argument.
It is possible to focus on more than one thing at once. Police are still carrying out police work.
The DV stats as a result of Covid-19 are a worry and measures should be in place to shut it down, but it’s not a matter of one over the other.

6 Likes