COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

Seems to be spreading - multiple outbreaks in a variety of situations - pubs, health care, schools, hotels, workplaces. More than 288 active cases in Vicotia (7 in NSW, 2 in QLD).

I was one that was saying states should open borders a few weeks ago, especially Qld, i thought they were being far too risk averse when there was no or very little community transmission. But at this point fair enough, it would be good if they could move the border closer to metro melb so regional areas aren’t unnecessarily affected, but any border closure now is better than waiting to create a perfect one.

Also gives Vic a mandate to close borders to other states if/when they have an outbreak and we have recovered, which i hope we would do.

2 Likes

What time is Andrews speaking? Edit: on now

Stay At Home orders to be reinstated from 11:59pm tomorrow night in the following postcodes in Victoria 3012, 3021, 3032, 3038, 3042, 3046, 3047, 3055, 3060 and 3064.

This is to last a month.

They will need to close all department stores down in those postcodes going off Dans language. Going out for Shoe shopping won’t be acceptable

This is a bit harsher than I expected in those areas. However I am also gobsmacked that almost 1000 people refused tests… so this will give them the message surely. This sounds like a logistical nightmare.

1 Like

Will the new Stay at Home orders affect public transport to/from these areas? Especially since the Craigieburn line passes through three of the last five postcodes (Oak Park, Glenroy, Roxburgh Park and Craigieburn).
Also, the Sunbury railway line passes through West Footscray, Tottenham and Watergardens. It is currently closed for major upgrades and is scheduled to reopen next Monday, July 6.
I feel sorry for the residents of Roxburgh Park and Craigieburn which are not on the list of current hot spots.

ABC reporter Bridget Rollason tweeted the new Stay at Home order:

Also:

I assume this includes cargo flights? What does it mean for postal delivery and freight to and from Melbourne?

1 Like

It would be passenger flights.

2 Likes

He think he is saying that Victoria has enough cases to handle without the addition of international flights bringing back Australians who would have to be quarantined. Cargo/freight is not affected.

3 Likes

I heard Dan Andrews say this. Is “breached protocols” a new euphemism? :wink:

and looks like till the 10 postcode lockdown is lifted or undercontrol 2b and stage 3 and beyond of easing of ristrictions is off the cards

3 July changes QLD

Pretty funny for me over the fact that the inner northern suburbs now in lockdown are all around where I live (one postcode off!)

This is infuriating. I hope these people are severely punished. It goes back to a cultural issue and probably a young guy in his 20s or 30s (like that one on the news the other week) that doesn’t care less.

1 Like

As a consequence, Premier Andrews has announced a judicial inquiry into infection protocol breaches at quarantine hotels, to be headed by a former judge. The inquiry will take 8-10 weeks, while Correction Victoria will take over the hotel quarantine program in two weeks’ time.

2 Likes

if this doent work then it could be a metro melbourne lockdown
Edit: brett sutton doesnt want cases in regional and rural vic where commuinty transmision and cases are 0 hence the metro melbourne lockdown

i think a full melbourne lockdown in inevitable. how can a virus be contained in a suburb? Especialy considering the cases being added to the stats today were likely contracted a week ago, and people have been moving freely between those postcodes since.

1 Like

Maybe the Old Melbourne Gaol could be repurposed? It was good enough for Ned after all.

1 Like

I imagine people will be checking Post Code maps for exact boundaries. I wonder if you could move in with friends across the road for a few weeks to get around the restrictions or at least park your car on the other side of the road when the boundary runs down the middle.

1 Like

Good to see that it’s a reduction on yesterday (75).

Hopefully we have hit the peak and that the lockdowns don’t need to stay for as long as a month.

1 Like