COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

They’ve just said on the radio that it was a hoax message being circulated. No such decision…yet.

3 Likes

As I would have expected.
When it’s a case of “a friend of mine who has a friend who…” it’s sketchy anyway.

I am so sick of people going around saying stuff like this based on no fact. My brother last night was telling me how there is a “rumour” that we will be in full lockdown from Thursday. I was trying to tell him that going to people like my parents with false things like that based on no fact is not helpful to anyone. Also the amount of people (and even media) that use the word “apparently” or “could” are doing my head in. People need to stop spreading panic. I think we are all prepared for these possibilities but I just don’t see fuelling rumours useful to anyone.

I do think that it’s likely more restrictions will be imposed before the end of the week. How far they will go… who knows. Wait and see.

2 Likes

The idiot is keeping the schools open. These people rubbing the show have no idea. School isn’t essential yet they define it as such. Sorry we can’t inconvenience precious parents who might actually have to do some parenting for once.

According to SMH, the following areas are exempt from the 100 person ban: airports, stations, platforms, stops, trains, trams, buses, medical and health service facilities, emergency service facilities, disability or aged care facilities, correctional facilities, youth justice centres or other places of custody, courts or tribunals, parliaments, food markets, supermarkets, grocery store, retail stores, shopping centres, office buildings, factories, construction sites, mining sites and other workplaces necessary for their normal operation.

1 Like

You still can go out for walks to local park or doing some gardening . I thi i that’s what I plan to do during this time.

2 Likes

I completely disagree. Shutting schools shuts the economy. Parents then can’t work and a lot of parents then don’t get paid. A big chunk of the workforce, including medical staff, then have kids at home. It’s a domino effect. Of course if a school had a case close that school… But worldwide stats show kids are very minimal risk of transmission or any issues from it.

Also put into perspective the fact that there are so few cases that have occured through community transmission. In Victoria of over 100 recorded cases, only 2 were person to person. The rest have come from travellers. I agree with every measure in place so far to reduce mass spreads so we don’t have a situation like Europe but we are not at any point where everything needs to shut down. We are well ahead of most places with our restrictions and the stats show it’s mostly coming in from overseas.

This will probably go on for months as well, so how long do you then keep a kid out if school? If a parent can and wants to pull a kid from school go for it. But it’s important some people have some normality in their lives and that people can still earn a living. School is a safe space at this stage and school holidays in Vic start just next week anyway.

9 Likes

I generally agree, but given the lack of testing kits Australia still is only testing people who have contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19.
Not testing means we don’t know if there are other cases, spreading person-to-person.
Hopefully the test kit shortage won’t last long.

1 Like

So to hell with the teachers. Schools aren’t childcare centers. Kids over 13 can look after themselves. Then parents make arrangements for younger kids.

All the arguments are flawed. Given the holidays are on in two weeks the schools will be closed as it is. Just close the god damn places. May schools have made the decisions as you can to follow the distance protocols in schools. It’s just not practical.

To hell with the parents. They chose to have kids. Deal with it. Why should single people with no kids suffer. Schools and teachers are not babysitters. Learning can be done online.

Most people that are working are out and about and exposed to just as many or more people than teachers are. Why are teachers any different?

No they can’t. My brother is a high school teacher and a group of kids that were pulled from school by their parents were then spotted hanging out together at a local shopping centre. That is what is going to happen when you close schools.

5 Likes

And that will happen in the holidays. So no different. Many private schools are already closed down. Sydney Catholic Schools want to close and they educate 30000 children so when big systems want it shut down.

Teachers are often older and more susceptible to this stuff. The kids coughing and spluttering. I have may family and friends who are teachers who just want it over and work from home. They are being treated as childcare workers to mind kids. They aren’t babysitters for whinging parents. The schools will be closing anyway for holidays so it’s no different to closing now and doing online work.

Not to mention politicians and office workers are work ughh from home so why should teachers be penalized.

In Norway schools are closed but some remain open to care for essential health care workers children.

And what are the arrangements? Leave them in child care where they can easily be exposed to the virus in the same way? Leave them with grandparents who are more susceptible to dying if they catch the virus?

It’s not a simple solution.

5 Likes

They had children so they can work it out. Split it up amongst the parents. Friends and others.

:roll_eyes: Yeah. We’ll just tell people to work it out amongst themselves and hope for the best.

12 Likes

If schools are to remain open by the government then at the very least they should allow schools the option to transfer everything online. UniSA and Flinders in SA are both moving fully online next week and we have also been instructed not to attend lectures but to monitor the situation and study online.

They need to give the schools a chance to protect their students rather than forcibly exposing them to a risk of infection.

1 Like

Ideally, that’s what they would like to do but not entirely possible. They’ve already addressed this issue, saying that a lot of students are not set up to do this yet.

This is a learning experience for a lot of people. We’ve started working from home this week and it’s going well, so far. We’ve had some issues which means that one person has had to go into the office this week. A few people have volunteered to take turns. It’s alright though because the office is practically empty and from what I’ve heard, foot traffic in the city was about half what you usually see and even less today.

1 Like

Well it’s not for schools and teachers to be working out parental arrangements. About time parents actually do something for once rather than palming it off to schools. They’ll have arrangements for the school holidays. Just extend those. I know about 50 teachers and by and large over the last few years they’ve been saying that parents are more and more absconding from their duties and expect the school to solve all the problems. This is a big issue in schools these days .

1 Like

I think that general issue and the current crisis are vastly different.

A lot of people use up their annual leave to look after kids at school holiday time. This is not sustainable if a total lockdown happens for weeks or months.

5 Likes

Exactly. People plan for school holidays. They don’t plan to have kids home for months nor can afford it.

1 Like