COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

But how is that the problem for the poor teachers? Why are they treated like second class citizens.

Who is it ok for politicians, corporate workers, public servants etc etc to work from home and shit down but not for teachers? It is inequitable.

If parents can’t afford to look after their kids then they shouldn’t have had them.

1 Like

Mate has a child done something to you? Sounding very bitter to the idea of parents having children right now.

5 Likes

No just hate the inequity. It really grates on me.

1 Like

Not everyone is working from home or able to work from home. Some jobs can. More jobs can’t. Teachers are not the only ones going to work. There are so many jobs that have more people contact than a teacher.

These comments that you make about people not having kids if they can’t afford it are pretty derogatory and offensive IMO. Not everyone is as fortunate as you must be.

We are literally talking about people losing their jobs or unable to do their jobs because of this. It is not as clear cut as you seem to think.

4 Likes

It’s not just teachers who can’t (or may not be able to) work from home; there are plenty of examples of jobs which at are risk everyday, including firefighters, paramedics, doctors, nurses, police, child care workers, aged car workers, tow truck operators, retail staff, bus & taxi drivers…

Schools & childcare centres are a haven for disease spread, and they will have to close sooner or later, but let’s not panic; every year teachers already risk getting every cold, flu, so it isn’t a safe job, but yes of course COVID-19 is worse than the usual.

4 Likes

It could go the other way as well. Teachers chose to become teachers. They’re government workers and if the the government says to keep on working then “To hell with them”.

See, by using that logic, you could pretty much justify anything.

For the record, I completely disagree with that rhetoric.

10 Likes

Man I’m actually started to panic a bit…

3 Likes

Seriously cmo calm your farm! How is a Prep student expected to do their studies online? What about grade 3? If the schools remain closed until the end of the year as is a possibility, that is completely different to a 2 week school holiday period being extended to 4 weeks. You say that teachers want to work from home? I highly doubt that all of them would be doing the same hours from their house as if they were at the school. They chose to be teachers, they are doing their job. They are not currently babysitting, they are teaching as they are employed to be.

The economic ramifications from this are going to be huge, the venue limits alone has put many, many people out of work with either their main income or a significant side job income now gone, including myself with my second job disappearing.
Then there’s all the festivals cancelled, tourism bookings gone - our first overseas holiday was due to start on Saturday and we’ve had all to cancel all of those and seek refunds, there’s at least a dozen businesses alone that we have made have a loss due to this current situation. Airlines have cut all their routes and there’s thousands of positions gone.

Teachers should think themselves extremely lucky that they are likely to still have jobs. This is not an ordinary situation that parents can plan for. A few days of sickness yes, but not nearly a year with only a few weeks to prepare.

13 Likes

It seems that there are many cases that have not been confirmed by officials, or in this case, the NSW State Government.

Last week 3 cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Orange, however, the local community were aware of these cases much earlier.

Tonight our local Federal MP posted on Facebook stating he personally knew of an additional 4th case in Orange. This has yet to be reported. Is there usually a delay in officially declaring cases or are we witnessing a bit of dodge on our Government’s behalf?

1 Like

Great post @ando9185. Agree with it all.

The live stats for Aus are usually updated once a day.

1 Like

Not to mention if they’re alone even in a home environment, they’d be prime targets for undesirables (kidnappers, sexual predators) to do something much worse than the Corona Virus. Lockdowns wouldn’t stop them either, the smart ones know where the police target and when (the dumb ones obviously don’t).

From the Post persepective we’re still going head first although international freight may be compromised for a while as we work out how to get things in and out. We’ll still press on until such time our workplace has to be shut down, and we’ve been told we will be paid up to 4 weeks if we’re forced to stay away for that long. We won’t be asking people to sign for packages on delivery either as a preventative measure (delivery drivers have to sign). So far up here it hasn’t really been that different to a normal March save for postal votes being mailed out to areas for upcoming council elections, and with online ordering still available we may be able to keep functioning reasonably close to our levels.

My take on when the mess will normalise? Reckon the next 6 weeks before May will be the toughest. Once May comes around the number of new cases I don’t think will be massive but thanks to super cautiousness the restrictions will remain largely in place with some adjustments here or there. The South African trip at this stage remains remotely alive with a decision on the race not due until April 17, but obviously the difficulty will be getting out of the country.

I think you killed off my brain cells with such a horrible statement about teachers.

4 Likes

I am trying to set up my new place in Bungendore and was told that it will be 16 weeks minimum for my furniture, which sucks. Thankfully I was able to get my beds/fridge/microwave before the chaos started, so I will be able to move down and self-isolate in a rural town :smiley: I’m expecting things to be delayed indefinitely as supply chains are disrupted. Hopefully local deliveries can still take place, as that will be the only way some sort of normality can prevail.

But getting back to the gist of the thread, my problems are tiddlywinks compared to the massive economic shocks that will reverberate for some time to come.

1 Like
1 Like

This will affect people travelling on Spirit of Tasmania ferry between Melbourne and Davenport in particular. Where can travellers from interstate self-isolate?

1 Like

What this all tells me is that at least some of the people who have the virus are NOT self isolating as they are supposed to be doing.

If they did, the whole thing would be over in a matter of weeks, not months.

I think most cases of the virus will escape detection because of its mild presentation in the majority of the population. It’s only the severe and media worthy cases (e.g. Tom Hanks, Peter Dutton) that receive attention. That’s why the virus continues to spread despite increasing control measures.

3 Likes

Remember that any change takes 2 weeks to have any real impact. As of Sunday, people were still able to fly in from most countries and not have to self isolate. Numbers of infected from international travellers will continue to rise because the percentage of those travelling and coming back with it would be up. Soon less people would be flying in so hopefully in a couple weeks those numbers from overseas will reduce. However it will continue to spike for a little longer.

2 Likes

I usually agree with CMO in many cases but I just can’t help myself to say that I disagree with him on this instance.

Sure, some parents might want schools to stay open because they can’t be bothered looking after their kids and viewing school as a childcare centre and they obviously deserve zero sympathy in times like this. But at the same time there are also other parents who work in health and medical industries who genuinely cannot look after their kids at home because of the need for them to work to contain this outbreak. I think it’s best if we don’t generalise that all parents should “go to hell” and “not have kids” just because they can’t look after them. Everyone is different and their situation needs to be considered in some way before making a judgement.

With regards to schools staying open, definitely there is a risk of transmission within a school community that shouldn’t be underestimated. I personally think for the safety of students, teachers (and their families and other individuals) they should close, but if they don’t then the government needs to at least address this issue by providing schools with options to conduct safety checks and/or move their classes online whilst staying ‘open’ (teachers at school, students at home). Of course keeping schools wide open poses a high risk but at the same time schools should also have the option to plan for alternative ways for teaching and keep teachers and students working (in different environments) which can reduce the risk of transmission but also fulfil students’ and their study needs as well as teachers in their occupation.

There is still plenty of unknowns associated with the coronavirus and its characteristics so I personally believe that everyone, in whatever circumstances, need to have options to protect themselves from infection instead of being enforced with policies such as schools remaining open for the time being amongst others. Also I just think that the idea of people going to hell for having kids or being teachers is absolutely ridiculous and frankly quite inconsiderate considering the current situation.

Rant over.

6 Likes

Sorry to interrupt with double posting, but some good news from China, with Wuhan recording 0 new cases in the past 24 hours (see in live blog on ABC News)

Though there has been a rise in the number of cases detected in China in the past 24 hours due to a large number of people returning from overseas testing positive.

6 Likes