COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

The NBL has been terminated.

2 Likes

Hey @Mubd, I feel very sorry about the decision to cut your stay in Toronto due to unprecedented measures. Good luck and I hoped that you stay safe during self-isolation. I know that this is tough, but safety is the number 1 priority.

4 Likes

Oh no, that sucks. Itā€™s bad everywhere and we definitely wonā€™t be immune from the downturn, but I imagine it would be much easier trying to find a job on home soil.

The flip side is that youā€™re only young (I think?) and youā€™ve always got the chance to give it another shot when these shenanigans die down.

7 Likes

My sister has just gone to Toronto and has enough to support herself for now. She is currently living with some friends in her own part of the house so no problems if she has to self-isolate. But I doubt she will end up getting permanent work as the downturn will last for many months, possibly years. She will probably end up having to come back to Australia prematurely too.

1 Like

The QRLā€™s ā€œIntrust Super Cupā€ is now suspended until June 5th.

2 Likes

June?!
I honestly think that is simply looking too far ahead.

He was just telling you that the federal government needed to put money into ā€œrubga leagueā€

1 Like

I disagree. I think all upcoming events should be canned. The AFL/NRL is a tricky one as a truncated competition is still possible; might be just fairer to nuke the whole thing though. We simply donā€™t know when this will peak yet. From what Iā€™ve read this will have many months to run. June would be overly optimistic at this point; hope Iā€™m wrong.

Things like the HSC may even have to be canned; not sure how they will deal with that.

1 Like

Soā€¦just grind the economy to a hault? I foresee crime will skyrocket as with no events or anything happening boredom will set in.

2 Likes

That is my worry too. But could happen either way if the pandemic is left to run its course. There is no easy solution other than the old stiff upper lip.

1 Like

Yes, this thing has the potential to cause mental health issues for those who have to bear the brunt of the economic impact.

Overall health is not just about viral health.

Its a delicate balancing act.

5 Likes

Yes- perhaps Iā€™m not the best person to be commenting on this issue as Iā€™m fairly introverted- and am fairly happy with indoor pursuits. But I realise the adjustment for others will be very difficult and yes, may lead to social disorder and crime. I will dislike not being able to travel freely but thatā€™s a sacrifice Iā€™m prepared to make.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, due to be held in Sydney in May, is the latest event to be cancelled due to coronavirus.

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are now in self-isolation.

Big news to break today about coronavirus.

Related to what specifically?

Closure of schools finally? Restaurants etc?

1 Like

There was a hoax going around on social media last night relating to a lockdown based on whatā€™s happened in Malaysia.

1 Like

A lot of comments on Twitter that the government is going to impose a 14 day lockdown.
A case of ā€œmy friend works for the governmentā€¦ā€ whether itā€™s true or not we will see.

So its not true then?

1 Like