COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

For the seventeenth consecutive day, Victoria has recorded no new cases or deaths.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/averages-easing-restrictions-covid-19

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s easy for states that have had no community cases for months to just feel like everything is normal. A case popping up can be a good wake up call to remember that the only way to stay on top of it is through testing.

Iā€™m already feeling complacency in Melbourne. I know testing numbers have been pretty good but thatā€™s through a lot of blitzes and now asymptomatic tests in workplaces. People are just going back to life like everything is normal again, which is fine and we deserve it as long as people donā€™t take it for granted. Maybe cases popping up in other states will be a wake up call to remain cautious.

WA response is frustrating when we havenā€™t gone for elimination (but they clearly have). Itā€™s just not useful opening borders then shutting them the second a case pops up which needs to be expected will happen from time to time. I wouldnā€™t feel confident booking any trip there (if we ever can) if thatā€™s how quickly they react. There should be a window or circumstances should be assessed for those who are already travelling in the next couple of days. and if there is zero connection from passengers to anyone linked or the areas then shutting border last minute is an overreaction at this point.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Really does show how it can get out of hand so easily. Which is why Iā€™m skeptical about ā€˜COVID normalā€™ domestic Interstate leisure travel until a vaccine arrives. I donā€™t think I will risk any interstate holiday until mid next year when some form of vaccine is hopefully available. Will spend too much time online stressing if borders will drop.

It could happen anywhere.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll likely just do interstate travel between VIC and NSW where my family are and just drive between the two. Melbourne to South Coast NSW sis only around 9-10 hours drive and I wonā€™t be impacted if the borders shut. Iā€™d love a North QLD getaway but the border status lacks stability especially when they slam it shut for 17 casesā€¦ so does this mean SA counter resets and they need 28 days before QLD reopen?! Anastasia previously has said once borders open she doesnā€™t imagine slamming them shut for small outbreaks but this clearly shows that, that is exactly what she is going to do.

Australia didnā€™t choose this but apparently anything short of elimination is unacceptable.

1 Like

Have broken out a new thread on this COVID-19: SA Outbreak and moved posts across.

Have left out a few posts that were relatively neutral or topics that might be better continued in here, which remains the best thread for the overall picture of things across Australia and indeed, the world.

6 Likes
1 Like

Victoria has recorded no new cases or deaths for the eighteenth consecutive day.

5 Likes

Big number of tests too which is a good sign

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering how many of yesterdayā€™s testing numbers include the South Australian arrivals into Melbourne Airport?

2 Likes

Some Victorians might have got anxious and decided to get tested after the news of a small outbreak in Adelaide on the weekend.

I donā€™t think they started that yesterday did they? I think it is just something they are flagging. And I am also wondering if the rapid testing will be included in the official testing numbers as it isnā€™t an ā€˜officialā€™ test. It is less accurate than the official tests.

Barely any. Only 2 flights landed at Melbourne Airport from Adelaide yesterday.

In the next 24 hours there are 3 flights arriving into Melbourne from SA 1 from Mt Gambier and 2 from Adelaide even if those plans are full to the brim it would be <500 people and we know planes arenā€™t full to the brim at the moment.

So 17,500 tests is pretty impressive in my opinion.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Reuters reports the total number of COVID-19 cases in USA has passed 11 million, just over a week after hitting 10 million, the fastest time it took the country to report an additional 1 million cases since the pandemic began. Over 250,000 Americans had died as the result of the coronavirus.

The situation looks dire with Thanksgiving happening next Thursday.

No new local cases in Queensland. One more was found in hotel quarantine.

1 Like

recently the global cases have been 1/3 in America, 1/3 in Europe and 1/3 in the rest of the world.

but numbers in most of europe have stabilised, and the worst affected Euro/asian countries (France, Belgium, Czechia, India) are improving fast while the US is still increasing exponentially. I think there will come a point where we view covid as less of a global issue and more of an American issue that is affecting other countries.

1 Like

Yesterday, two flights arrived at Tullamarine from Adelaide. A total of 122 passengers were screened, with 81 tested. There were no arrivals who attended a high-risk location.

1 Like

I just donā€™t even know what to say about Americaā€¦ the mind boggles.

3 Likes

One wordā€¦ Trump.

4 Likes