COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

And would you believe that the emergency powers have been recinded

I’ve got no issue with these recommendations, however I suspect they will fall largely on deaf ears, but when for nearly 2 years the response to Covid, especially in this country, involved government interventions and restrictions on daily life to a level unprecedented in at least 100 years, I can understand why anything like this can trigger a new wave of anxiety and nervousness for some people.

2 Likes

A cruise ship with 800 covid positive passengers will disembark in Sydney tomorrow.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/covid-outbreak-looms-on-majestic-princess-cruise-ship/news-story/86df1216b4b4909129d90d3c627be693

Why is the media all of a sudden reporting so heavily on COVID? Viewership and readership down or something? Need to install fear in the community again to regain numbers?

6 Likes

NSW clearly learnt nothing from 2020.

1 Like

Did you read the article? They’re going into isolation.

Lucky the media reported that so your mind can be put at ease.

2 Likes

My mind was already at ease?

Because we are currently going through another wave. Most media outlets are just informing people to be careful. Seems logical to me.

2 Likes

It would be very interesting to see the reaction if a state does mandate masks. I am looking at WA. I reckon the public would go nutso.

I reckon they just wouldn’t wear them regardless.

Unlike QLDs “recommendations” there has been no implication at all that WA would do such a thing, the state of emergency ended last week, not to mention WA is actively phasing out COVID public health support this month (COVID-at-home support has been canned, there’s only 1 public PCR testing facility left open after this weekend and likely to be none by the end of the month) which would make such an action political suicide, particularly at a time when nurses are also about to go on strike.

I would suggest the days of states “going rogue” with COVID restrictions are done and dusted.

I won’t be following mask mandates. I will follow what is common sense. If I was entering a room with 100 covid infected people I will wear a mask. I wont be wearing one at the gym or at work, or walking the dog.

Not selfish at all.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call that selfish. There has to be a point where we just live with it and move on. That point is now. Dipping in and out of mandates and restrictions is not practical. This virus could be around forever now - just like the flu, chicken pox and many other permanent illnesses.

5 Likes

Simple, for more ratings, clicks and with that advertising money. The media spreads fear all of the time for ratings and advertising money.

I get that. And your position is very much ‘get on and live with it’. And that’s fine. I am there too.

But if the health experts thought it valid enough to ask the government to mandate masks again (and I imagine that would be a BIG call), I’d hope the public would follow that.

1 Like

I don’t think people would oblige if that were to happen. That’s my point.

1 Like

That’s fair. And my point would be that would be unfortunate.

Chicken pox? That barely exists anymore because of ongoing vaccine mandates/ no jab-no pay. So it’s an example of the opposite to the point you are trying to make.