COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

Oh dear.

1 Like

At first glance it seemed drastic. But it’s only advice, not mandates. And the highest level of precaution is a recommendation for mask wearing indoors.

Seems consistent with the ‘living with covid’ deal. But it will make for some clickbait, online media is probably licking their lips.

2 Likes

Is it only advice? I don’t see anything that explicitly says that.

Other measures

The advice in the traffic light system is a recommendation only and not a legal requirement. However, if there is a serious risk to the public health system or the community from COVID-19, the Chief Health Officer may mandate:

• wearing masks in stated circumstances
  • isolation for people with COVID-19 and quarantine for symptomatic close contacts
  • vaccinations for workers in certain settings.

National COVID-19 Community Protection Framework for a COVIDSafe Australia

Baseline, Tier 1 and Tier 2 mentioned above correspond to Base Level Strategies, Tier 1 and Tier 2 respectively in the National COVID-19 Community Protection Framework for a COVIDSafe Australia.

According to the news.com.au article : When rates of transmission are high, the red tier will be brought on and indoor mask-wearing will be mandated.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/national-covid-19-community-protection-framework
The National COVID-19 Community Protection Framework will help outline what public health measures states and territories might put in place to manage the COVID-19 pandemic.
Publication date:
14 October 2022

I’m been in the US on holiday since last Wednesday, one thing I’ve observed in California (or at least Los Angeles and San Francisco) is just how popular masks still are on public transport and among retail/hospitality where (I’d say 40-50% wearing them on PT and 20-25% in retail/hospitality).
Given that in Australia even within Sydney and Melbourne mask wearing has pretty much dropped away completely I found this very interesting and slightly unexpected.

On a more predictable note though, today I’ve flown over to inland Washington state (even though it’s a blue state these are very much Republican counties) visiting family, and there’s not a mask in sight lol.

2 Likes

The demographics and unqiue attitudes / societal peer pressure (ergo the perception that if you’re not wearing a mask you’re anti mask, or a republican, etc) in the big liberal cities in California absolutely influence this. I suspect LA / SF probably has more COVID driven mask wearing than anywhere on the globe now outside of East Asia / China.

I’m curious how many were N95s vs cloth or surgical though.

1 Like

Ugh go away.

2 Likes

It’s a recommendation. Why are you so upset?

4 Likes

If you’re speaking directly to someone can you please reply to them using the reply button otherwise unless I went back in here I wouldn’t have known you’ve asked me a question lol.

I just think we’ve moved passed it. She needs to move on. We can look after ourselves now.

1 Like

Won’t be long before Wa follows on.

I will comply with if it does Happen here in W.A . It just seems logical with interstate travels to and from Queensland around Australia.

There are still idiots in each state they still can’t even stay home while flu or with Covid. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: trusting people to do the right thing is like trusting a banana to guard your belongings.

1 Like

The Queensland Government is rightly worried because in two weeks’ time, tens of thousands of young people will converge on Gold Coast for Schoolies Week, which may become a superspreader.

A superspreader of all sorts of Viral and Bacterial Diseases, not just Covid. We also got Influenza, Rhinovirus, RSV, Gastro going around at the moment. Especially in my local area where three weeks ago I got Covid, and after recovering from Covid I got Rhinovirus. Aka Year 12 Biology students will probably witness a real life Biology lession.

We have been dealing with Influenza for a few thousand years, and we will be dealing with SARS-CoV-2 for the next few thousand years.

Recommendations are fine. Mandates are not. It is not going away, don’t do what China is doing because it’s just madness.

5 Likes

Exactly that’s the point we have managed every other viruses it’s time to stop with the fear mongering. It seems to be labour stick to control the citizens. It stopped being about managing and started being about control.

“Hello, Covid infections are rising, here’s some thing you can do to protect yourself. You don’t have to, but we’re just giving you information to make an informed decision.”

“Hello, monkeypox has reached Australian shores. It’s mostly affecting gay males. Here’s a vaccine we think you should take. You don’t have to.”

“Hello, flu season is upon on us. We recommend you take the flu jab to protect yourself and others. You don’t have to though.”

ThIs Is AlL AbOuT ConTrOL/

9 Likes

Never thought recommendations = control. They haven’t legislated anything regarding this yet people are getting themselves into a lather. What’s wrong with advice?

4 Likes