Community Radio

This probably won’t ever happen, but personally I think there should be a 4th Sydney DAB+ multiplex set up to allow all 16 Sydney suburban community radio stations the opportunity of metro-wide coverage on the condition they remain committed to their respective communities.

2 Likes

That’s right. Thanks for the reminder, but it was part of a short lived DAB+ station, think it was it a station calling itself Z or something like that at the end of of the alphabet of station names. Sorry for my vague recall.

That would be nice if spectrum was available & cash available by the community stations to fund it.

2 Likes

That other one was Zig… I don’t recall what was on it, there was silence on most occasions when I tried it.

Yes that was it. I thought if memory serves me correctly it also carried JOY programming at times.

From what I recall, Joy has been on Sydney DAB+ a couple of times - pretty sure there was even a station slideshow during the most recent broadcast.

I think it was originally “Zed” before later being rebadged as “Zig” - a few Melbourne community stations ran their feeds on that station for a short time IIRC.

2 Likes

Joy being permanently broadcast on DAB+ in Melbourne despite not being licenced to cover the Melbourne RA1 area is your precedent here.

4 Likes

You could argue that Joy provides a unique service in the Melbourne market; the same with Eastside which mainly airs Jazz, Soul and Funk music. I wonder if the loophole lies in the fact that both stations cover the inner suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney. But the LAP designation for 2RES is ‘Waverley RA1’ and doesn’t mention Sydney; I think Skid Row is ‘Sydney RA3’ which covers the CBD and the inner south. Skid Row could be the next station on DAB I reckon as it also has a fairly unique format of hip hop/soul/indigenous/LOTE.

I vote for Skid Row to convert entirely to DAB, leaving 88.9 free for DX from Braidwood FM :slight_smile:

A more generalist station like SWR would probably have a tougher case. You can bet the commercial incumbents would kick up a stink.

5 Likes

Yeah a bullshit decision from decades ago that favoured yet another Christian station, that operates today as a quasi commercial offering like they all do.

5 Likes

much like 2CBA - Quasi commercial FM station…ever since the God Squad took over it…

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s a case that WYN FM volunteers are not allowed back into the studios, due to (Covid related) access restrictions enforced by Vic Uni (where their studios are located)?

1 Like

Correct.

Correct, they’re back Jan 11th finally, but I’m sure they could have arranged something (ie even pre-rec stuff) with the manager loading stuff, but I don’t know what kind of management is even there.

2 Likes

2RSR Radio Skid Row 88.9 now open carrier for 2nd day…
UPDATE: Is still streaming. No mention on Facebook or Twitter why not on the FM airwaves.
So much for usage of social media by the broadcaster to keep their FM listeners informed.
Wonder what % of their audience still listens via radio?

Also is anyone hearing Orange community broadcasters 107.5FM lately on their FM frequency?
Is a message on their Facebook page Dec 31st about being back on air, but I’m not sure it is atm.

3 Likes

Turn it off! Braidwood FM will get into Sydney then :). In fact, it may be a chance of getting over the carrier.

2 Likes

With SDR# notch add-on all I do is use my programmed notch for their carrier & bang, as soon as I detect your signal with some help from a good tropo lift between locations I should hopefully be able to hear Braidwood FM. So for me 2RSR’s carrier isn’t the problem, only if its modulated.

Problems are; the weather at the moment isn’t conducive to decent tropo lifts for the foreseeable future & only a matter of time before Skid Row fix their problem. Even SpE avoiding Sydney past two days, would like to hear something else on 88.9 for a nice change…

UPDATE: 88.9 Skid Row back with usual programming Jan 5th :frowning: …no good for dx, maybe okay to chill out with some reggae though “mon”

3 Likes

Which is a real shame given we are heading right into what is normally the peak of the year with tropo… in my experience anyway, my best catches have usually been mid to late January.

3 Likes

Warmer weather forecast next week at least down here, so tropo could pick up again. Hints of a traditional mid Jan heatwave. Tropo is usually below average in a La Nina summer due to a greater number of rain bearing disturbances and weaker high pressure systems.

3 Likes

@dxnerd wants us Sydneysiders to try for reception of Braidwood FM 88.9 during a suitable tropo opening. And 2RSR keeps taunting us with open carriers on 88.9 when there’s no tropo reception (as is the case right now), thanks to the above described La Nina weather patterns - all a tad annoying, LOL.

1 Like

Reading the 2RSR web page, they mightn’t be on air at all much longer anyway, so there will be plenty of time for DX’ing Braidwood FM.
The Community Broadcasting Foundation have pulled their funding of the station, which they’ve been providing for the last 30 years apparently, last year RSR received $150,000 for operations. I nearly fell off my chair when I read that, that’s extreme costs for a community station, that most others could only dream of having that sort of cash available, how much self funding have RSR been doing, probably none?
If they can’t fund themselves then they shouldn’t have the license IMO, it not like they’re the only community station in Sydney of the ethnic variety, that programs can’t be picked up by other stations, for a start those who fit can go to Koori Radio (that was born out of RSR), then there’s 2OOO which is Multicultural Radio, for others, don’t know if there’s any Musilm programming on RSR that could go to 2MFM, all stations which have a larger coverage of Sydney than RSR anyway.

2 Likes

Hmmmmm Starter 88.9 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes