Community Radio

Anymore updates on 97.4?

I recall they had a site near Geelong Rd in Brooklyn but I recall they also had an FM transmitter array nearby on top of the Olex tower in Tottenham/West Footscray. Last I looked just yesterday I noted that FM array is no longer there.

2 Likes

Matt DeGroot, breakfast newsreader of the Fitzy & Wippa program on Sydney’s Nova 96.9 has been appointed as station Patron for 104.1 CHY FM.

3 Likes

89.7 2RES returned to the FM airwaves sometime today.

1 Like

New 80s station in Penrith My88, sister station to Vintage FM starting 1st January 2021 with Jason Bouman hosting the weekday breakfast show starting from 7am on January 11.

Source

4 Likes

Interesting… I suspect 80s music might be considered too mainstream for a narrowcast licence?

1 Like

Air FM ran it for ages on the same licence…

wouldn’t an 80s only music radio station be hard to run? unless it’s only for a certain demographic and the reach wouldn’t be the wide would it?

… but they didn’t have “Jason Bouman will host the weekday breakfast show starting from 7am” and the ACMA investigation stated as a reason that it was OK that “The music is played without the announcements that are typical of commercial radio broadcasting services” and “Air FM is 100% pre-recorded”

2 Likes

Thanks, didn’t know Air FM was the subject of an investigation. Yes live and local programming would tend to tip the balance towards a community or even commercial service in the eyes of the regulator. You don’t even have to look far to find an example: Kick FM Penrith fell afoul of the ACMA several years ago for this reason.

… and guess what … Jason Bouman was part of that too … what was that about “history repeats” … :rofl:

3 Likes

3CR off air on 855 AM. Must be limited to the East Mast (potentially impacting on local DAB repeaters) - West Mast stations Vision 1611 AM and WYN 88.9 FM unaffected.

2 Likes

Listeners of WYN who love Voice of America 24/7 will be pleased then

5 Likes

Must be so many. Coronavirus is but an excuse for their troubles.

2BACR having issues today with intermittent audio:

(You’ll have to click through to YouTube due to copyright claim)

3 Likes

Seams to be resolved now.

2RES previous tx (ant.) problems maybe resolved too.
Not noted any issues for some days.

3 Likes

I heard on inphase that SWR might be going back to being SWR without the 999. I hope they can be heard on DAB like Eastside radio is. :slight_smile:.

But I best not jump to conclusions. It is probably just an innocent rebranding of the station.

1 Like

That’s good… not really a fan of the “Triple Nine” branding… I preferred “Ninety Nine point Nine Swar FM” as it was ID’d on air previously.

I expect the RDS will be changed too…

And I agree it would be great to hear SWR on DAB. And as my FM reception here is very weak, but then I am waaaay out of their licence area.

I imagine other Sydney suburban community stations must be wondering how Eastside managed to get on DAB and would no doubt be making similar enquiries.

1 Like

Gosh. Just noticed Eastside Radio with logo slideshow pic on my DAB+ radio.
Wonder who they purchased the portion of the multiplex from? And when?
The DAB+ medium would have come in handy with the recent FM antenna problems.
Being the first small local area coverage community broadcaster to utilize DAB+ in Australia (AFAIK) does indeed set an interesting precedent, but it is perhaps probably a simple case of dangling a carrot (or cash) in front of an allowed/allocated DAB+ broadcaster to see if they would rent / sacrifice some of their bitrate (spectrum) to an interested other party.

1 Like

Yeah I wonder too. It might open a can of worms for other community stations. Anyway I hope SWR gets a slot. I hope it’s 48k , but I prefer 64k even at 4A, I think it’s worth it.

2 Likes

I think Melbourne CBD community station JOY 94.9 was on Sydney DAB a few years ago… not sure if it was on Melbourne DAB too?