Community Radio

That’s what I thought.

Radio Skid Row continue to frequently ask for donations on air.

This site reveals more.
The site says raised $103,710 of $70,000 needed on Dec 4th, 2020.

I do hear several African/Jamaican themed programs in Skid Row that probably aren’t as common on other community stations.

How much money does it take to keep an average 100-200Watt community FM station afloat each year?

3 Likes

It’s probably more the rental cost of things like studio and office space, which wouldn’t be cheap being in inner Sydney.

2 Likes

Radio Skid Row are based out of the Addison Road Community Organisation at Marrickville, and they’ve had some issues with tenants recently. The Bower was nearly kicked out, and I think Reverse Garbage was in a similar position.

I’m guessing either they’ve got a peppercorn rent, favourable terms, or RSR are having similar issues with Addi Road.

3 Likes

I do, we all do know.

Poor management.

To have not set up remote broadcasting in this age of accessible internet and computing power is simply lazy and puts the ongoing viability of the station at risk.

Haven’t looked at the Victorian legislation for incorporated assocs, but the board clearly haven’t acted in the best interests of the station.

@ozbark Very funny video… Rasta Francis has a decidedly UK tilt to his Jamaican accent.

3 Likes

Yes. This arvo I found this on their Facebook page, posted 7 hours ago:-
“Due to issues with the broadcast aerial you can only listen through the website at the”

Well the aerial is fine (so it seems), just no baseband (program) signal modulated on the FM carrier wave. And at the moment no streaming from their website, but there was a day or two ago when the transmitter wasn’t providing program (modulated) signal.

2 Likes

Sunshine FM is the Sunshine Coast equivalent of Coast FM on the Central Coast, in which it has an easy listening/classic hits-type format, providing a point-of-difference from the local commercial stations.

You can see their playlist here:

3 Likes

I always worry when I see strict playlists like that, then I see a tiny amount of on air volunteers.

2 Likes

The latest (yesterday’s news release) from Radio Skid Row 88.9

Radio Skid Row has been experiencing outages in our FM signal over the last few weeks. Due to clearing of old copper lines at Marrickville exchange, we are subject to random outages. As a result we now have to undergo upgrades to fibre at both our Marrickville studios and our city based transmitter.

We were unable to do these upgrades prior due to our loss of funding. We want to take this opportunity to thank our community for their support, as we can now afford the increased costs of NBN signals. The upgrades will take a few weeks to fully complete and we thank you for your patience.

We are still broadcasting LOUD and CLEAR over streaming, tune in via radioskidrow.org

I ask why not power down the 88.9 transmitter & save on energy costs for the interim? That might sound like (uncommon) common sense though…

6 Likes

And @dxnerd would get more listeners in Sydney on a Tuesday Night if there is tropo which is also an added bonus to turning off the transmitter.

5 Likes

IDK, looks like some weak excuses from RSR.

I’m guessing they had an ADSL setup & now it’s been turned off, they would have had plenty of time to move to the NBN & they could get a account at each site for about $75 each, that would be bigger pipe than a ADSL STL, I doubt they’d have to go Fibre.

If that’s their excuse for the FM signal, how’s their Web streaming getting out of the studios?
If the web stream’s perfect, feed the TX off the web stream until you get things sorted properly, it’s been done before.

There’s no NBN connection at Artarmon transmission site so all broadcasters have to use private Fibre or microwave to there for STL’s at around $400 per month minimum, 2MFM still have 2 ADSL STL’s but are looking to change over to Fibre, & the other community services at Artarmon don’t complain about it, it seems to me RSR are like those habitual dole recipients who want someone else to pay for everything, with out them having to lift a finger.

When they apply for a license renewal, they have to list day’s, times when the TX is off & give good reason why they couldn’t keep it on air to ACMA, it probably won’t matter, but the excuses I’ve seen & the fact is they can’t fund themselves, I believe their license shouldn’t be renewed.

6 Likes

92.5 Music FM Moss Vale, NSW service now restored this evening.

3 Likes

“WHCR taking the piss out of community radio in the Hawkesbury”

“WHCR doing nothing for the Hawkesbury community since 2017”

Anyone else hear the new robot station imaging for WHCR? :joy: Classic.

2 Likes

100.9 2BACR running with low power atm.

2 Likes

Love to hear an off the air recording if you have one. :slight_smile: bloody hilarious. I could add one more, but I think I’ve already pressed Mr WHCR’s buttons already somewhere else in this forum, so I’ll leave it for now. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No concern, it’s only words and nothing is not the truth. Some simply react poorly to honesty.

For anyone who’s interested, CoastFM 96.3 is running a listener survey until the 1st March, so we can try to make the station better, let us know what you like or don’t like about it, you don’t have to be on the Central Coast to do the survey, you could listen from anywhere in the world online.

At the end of the survey there’s the option to leave your details & go in the draw for a $250 Visa Gift Card.

Just go to the CoastFM web site & on the Home page is a link to go to the Listener Survey, you can complete it anonymously too if you want, but you won’t be in the draw for the Gift Card.
www.coastfm.org.au

4 Likes

The storm on Monday night damaged Braidwood FM’s main antenna. We are currently running reduced power from our old 94.5 antenna until it’s rectified.

I can still hear 88.9 in Bungendore but it’s weaker than usual. So unfortunately it’s unlikely to be heard outside our region.

6 Likes

99.7 4RED community radio Redcliffe was off air for around two hours today, returning to air at about 4:40pm.

After realising he was on air, the announcer, who very much was attempting to emulate a professional music announcer but falling short, gave a talk break apologising for being off air and introed Elton’s “I’m still standing” before a break after two or three songs where he read what sounded like a prepared liner about sponsorship and that more sponsors means less time off air.

Wild horse FM Yarraman or any other co channeled station could not be heard during the outage, only usual static,

2 Likes

A good music choice admittedly, though. The station must have looked like a true survivor at the time, even though the announcer may have felt like a little kid. He picked up the pieces.

As for attempting to emulate a professional announcer, that whole gig is just a circus, waiting for the next clown…

2 Likes