Random Radio

You would probably notice a small improvement in sound quality for DAB, pocket radio or on a low end receiver if using high end headphones, but obviously the better quality sound source, the greater the gain in sound quality is on high end headphones.

I have the Bose QC35 and Sony XM3 headphones, both have very good sound and are very comfortable. I also have the Bang and Olufsen H4, more expensive again, but not as comfortable as the others but have a very meaty sound.

2 Likes

good headphones are essential to avoid listening “fatigue” especially over long periods. Good headphones also allow you to hear detail - important when listening to DX through noise. For music they are simply fantastic. You can score a pair for $279

A lot of headphones are horrible for listening to DX. The AD700 are fairly neutral whereas avoid pioneer which pound your head with excessive bass. - UGH

These are the 700X model (I’m not sure how these compare to the AD700’s I have but I’m assuming they’re similar) & are a newer version to what I have.

BTW - they pair well with a Marantz amp for music quality.

2 Likes

Random thought time.

In the USA - ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Univision and possibly others produce news bulletins for radio (some are owned by the broadcasters, but also some are affiliates).

Nine has bought several radio stations outright in Australia and produces news bulletins for many affiliates across the country.

Could Seven or Sky News Australia try to get a foothold into radio too? Maybe try to take over 2SM and the Superadio Network and turn it into a competitive force in talk (conservative talk in Sky News’ case) and also syndicate their news bulletins across multiple stations? Ten could take over Nova’s or ARN’s news operation.

Air News’ list of affiliates could be on the cards for a takeover as it has some commercial (like RadioTAB Brisbane and Sky Sports Radio Sydney) and major community stations (like Family 96.5 Brisbane on a weekend and Gold Coast’s 94.1).

3 Likes

I guess it’s a personal choice on how you like audio to sound, e.g. Bassy, Tinny, strong mids, etc.

For me the best headphones I’ve found, & what I have, are AKG K240 MkII’s, these & the K240 Studio Headphones have been used, & highly recommended in the Radio industry since at least the 1980’s, many a radio announcer has, or has used these over the years.

You’ll hear every frequency available to human hearing & then some, (15Hz - 25KHz range), & it’s pretty flat across the spectrum, so you’ll hear audio as it is from the source, it’s not altered, equalized or any frequency flavored/enhanced.

I always use these when I’m in the radio studio, & for monitoring the audio off air of a radio station, & when I’m setting up the audio processing of a radio station, because you’ll hear if it sounds good, bad or indifferent.

Something that will probably annoy some of you if you listen to DAB+ with them, you’ll hear every little imperfection & artifact with them.

https://au.akg.com/Professional%20Headphones/K240MKII.html?dwvar_K240MKII_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=Professional%20Headphones#start=1

4 Likes

This is from the UK, but could easily apply for Australia.

7 Likes

Not sure where this fits, so Random became the destination! I’ve always found it difficult to get a view as to how much cut-through is obtained by community radio, as they are typically excluded from ratings research. Following a comment by @ozbark Community Radio - #1367 by ozbark about community station using social media, I’ve done a brief analysis of social media followers at 31 Dec 20 for Melbourne community stations (plus a couple of higher profile narrowcasters):

Some comments:

• No doubt there will be an overlap between the different media (for instance the same person may follow 3RRR through both Facebook and Twitter)
  • The analysis includes station-only handles and therefore excludes show specific accounts (eg @Breakfasters twitter account for 3RRR, or the various language Facebook pages for programs on 3ZZZ)
  • 3RPH does have a Facebook account (with circa 100 followers), but given its target audience the limited social media presence is not surprising and therefore not a true reflection of its community reach
  • In terms of the media platforms and their growth, Instagram is first, Facebook second and Twitter third based on 3RRR and 3PBS changes since Dec 18:
  • The proportion of followers by platform seem to vary based on the nature an audience of the station - in particular there is a Twitter bias towards the more talk/“active listener” type stations. This graph may assist in understanding the platform ratio for each station:
  • Followers appear to be relatively sticky regardless of the level of content. For instance, 3MBS did not tweet during 2020 yet remained stable at 2,300 followers. IMHO, I am not even sure why a station like 3MBS needs a Twitter account apart from protecting its name.
  • There is also no allowance in the analysis as to whether a follower is still active on social media (ie are they dormant followers). On a similar note, I suspect a portion of the Kiss FM followers joined during the dispute with 3TTT (ARN) about the use of the name KIIS regardless of their listening intentions.

Anyway, hopefully the above is of interest and over to youse all for comments.

4 Likes

Generally what’s thought, is that social media following has no relation to actual listeners, but online listeners can be roughly scaled up to indicate “off air” listeners.

Example in my area Newcastle/NSW Central Coast:
CoastFM 96.3 Gosford has about 3,000 Facebook followers, but listeners is likely closer to 5 times that figure, possibly more.
Lake Macquarie FM 97.3 has around 10,000 Facebook followers, but actual listeners is likely closer to 10-20% of that figure.
2NURFM 103.7 Newcastle has around 10,000 Facebook followers & listeners is likely to be 2-3 times that figure.

4 Likes

Yeah, most interactions I see with social media of radio stations is when their attempts at memes/viral content are successful. For more local stations, a lot of followers would be there for local news/community events.

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Triple M last week and today,(not by choice,I’d rather listen to my own music on Spotify)
It’s always good to hear more music in the mornings instead of ‘Yap yap ,yap👎.
That will be over when Marto and Margaux return Wednesday :confused:

4 Likes

Has someone been sacked from radio recently?

I don’t think Em is referring to herself here?

3 Likes

Jodie in Adelaide?

Appears so

3 Likes

Why not Erin and Soda?

Because it sounds like a drink? :rofl:

So did Jodie and Soda.

2 Likes

It just seems unnecessarily long. Why have one last name and not the other? “Erin Phillips and Mark Soderstrom in the morning”?

1 Like

The radio directory used by the Pure radio - Pure Connect app is slightly dated with 2UE still appearing as News Talk, the old 2CH logo and the incorrect logo for Nova Sydney.

2 Likes

That’s a very old metallic ABC logo too.

1 Like

I’ve seen that used on the DAB+ slide shows on a few of there stations as well.

Aside from Local Radio (which I believe was reasonably quick to update with the new logo in 2017), most of the ABC’s DAB+ slideshow images probably haven’t been substantially updated since the services began or were renamed.

Last I checked it was still the old metallic logos for Radio National, NewsRadio and Classic FM on their DAB+ slideshows, even though all those stations have since been rebranded to include the classic ABC logo as per all corporate properties in recent years.

3 Likes

The ABC is actually even worse at promoting DAB than the commercials are. They actively ignore it.

5 Likes