Community Radio

Which would suit Jones perfectly as he is in “the nearly dead” category (he’ll be 82 next month).

4 Likes

With a target demo that’s probably approaching a median age over 80, too.

Yeah not sure that stereotype is quite as accurate these days.

4 Likes

Indeed; the post was jocular. It’s not quite Harrington Waters to be sure :slight_smile:

(Alan may find an audience on many a NSW North Coast station).

3 Likes

Where did I fit into that one before I moved hahaha

1 Like

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/doubts-over-future-of-the-national-indigenous-radio-service-as-funding-dries-up/news-story/e7ac595f8a838f19f76438c79d01045f

An Indigenous footy radio broadcast station may be forced to hang up the microphone just days out from round one after a call for help to the AFL was left unanswered.

The National Indigenous Radio Service broadcasts AFL matches into remote Indigenous communities around the country, with the station made up of almost entirely Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander commentators.

The station, who have hosted talent such as Gilbert McAdam, Andrew Krakouer, Nathan Lovett-Murray and Peter Keenan may not go to air this season after over 25 years of broadcasting after a lack of sponsorship and funding made it almost impossible to operate this season.

2 Likes

Much appreciated. It was fixed pronto :wink:

4 Likes
1 Like

https://twitter.com/darby_travers6/status/1637352461152432129?s=46&t=0cvx0O_eb9BdScEgyLG53g

3 Likes

Did someone forget to print the ‘r’ ? :joy:

8 Likes

How dare they call me a community station!

5 Likes

HA! That is gold
We had a few minor broadcast issues especially with crossing to the stage from the OB van… Event MC Patrick Bonello was really good and dropped off his RodeCaster so I was able to have a 2 way connection into his earpiece at all times and he could hear when we would cross over.

3 Likes

A couple of days ago 100.1 Triple H (Hornsby) issued this statement on both their Facebook Page & Website:

We are currently experiencing issues with our transmitters. But don’t despair - you can still listen to your favourite programs on Triple H via various platforms like our website

And yes they’re still off the air.

4 Likes

We don’t read of much of Radio Northern Beaches (RNB 88.7 & 90.3FM in Sydney) on this forum.

Has anyone looking back over the years noted any reduced signal levels of the above
outlets? I’m sure the outlets were better received years ago.
Both outlets were in stereo years ago, but when I last monitored both were in mono (i.e. no stereo pilot carrier). I wonder if the transmitters are aging & power reduced & thus to compensate for reduced S/N in coverage area RNB tuned off their Stereo Pilots to improve reception?

3 Likes

88.7 is one of the better received Sydney suburban community up here, better then even 2SER!

Yes, sometimes it’s in mono, but seems to be stereo most of the time.

90.3 i can’t really get at all now since 2HD went to air, before that it was very weak and tropo didn’t lift it much.

2 Likes

Remember RNB used to be on 92.1 and 93.7 in the 90s. 92.1 was heard weakly via tropo into Cooma. I think it was the Balgowlah Heights (Manly South) transmitter on 92.1. I reckon they may well have been more powerful in those days as there were no competing stations on those ‘Sydney’ frequencies apart from the flea powered 92.1 at Lithgow.

In Oatley it’s difficult to hear 88.7 due to Vintage FM Razorback bossing the frequency. 90.3 gets in OK. RNB is impossible to hear in Bungendore due to the Goulburn blasters.

And yes, it was Manly South on 92.1 and Manly North (Bilgola) on 93.7 per this ABA update:

http://138.25.65.17/au/journals/AUBAUpdateNlr/1998/25.pdf

4 Likes

Thanks, I always thought it was the other way around.

And as I remember my Ford Telstar Pioneer car radio auto seeking 92.1 on the Swansea bends in the early 90s.

2 Likes

I thought I’d better produce a source for that claim quick smart, otherwise it’s a swift rebuke from @TV-Expert :wink: I seem to remember getting one of them in weak mono from Oatley on the Sanyo boombox, it was probably 92.1. Only a very marginal signal from memory on that, though.

2 Likes

Currently the ACMA are conducting an Audit of LPONs, do you think the ACMA should extend this audit to Community Radio and Commercial Broadcasters?

2 Likes

If memory serves me correctly I was listening to both of those outlets in my youth in the St.George area of Sydney.

3 Likes