Community Radio

A couple of days ago 100.1 Triple H (Hornsby) issued this statement on both their Facebook Page & Website:

We are currently experiencing issues with our transmitters. But don’t despair - you can still listen to your favourite programs on Triple H via various platforms like our website

And yes they’re still off the air.

4 Likes

We don’t read of much of Radio Northern Beaches (RNB 88.7 & 90.3FM in Sydney) on this forum.

Has anyone looking back over the years noted any reduced signal levels of the above
outlets? I’m sure the outlets were better received years ago.
Both outlets were in stereo years ago, but when I last monitored both were in mono (i.e. no stereo pilot carrier). I wonder if the transmitters are aging & power reduced & thus to compensate for reduced S/N in coverage area RNB tuned off their Stereo Pilots to improve reception?

3 Likes

88.7 is one of the better received Sydney suburban community up here, better then even 2SER!

Yes, sometimes it’s in mono, but seems to be stereo most of the time.

90.3 i can’t really get at all now since 2HD went to air, before that it was very weak and tropo didn’t lift it much.

2 Likes

Remember RNB used to be on 92.1 and 93.7 in the 90s. 92.1 was heard weakly via tropo into Cooma. I think it was the Balgowlah Heights (Manly South) transmitter on 92.1. I reckon they may well have been more powerful in those days as there were no competing stations on those ‘Sydney’ frequencies apart from the flea powered 92.1 at Lithgow.

In Oatley it’s difficult to hear 88.7 due to Vintage FM Razorback bossing the frequency. 90.3 gets in OK. RNB is impossible to hear in Bungendore due to the Goulburn blasters.

And yes, it was Manly South on 92.1 and Manly North (Bilgola) on 93.7 per this ABA update:

http://138.25.65.17/au/journals/AUBAUpdateNlr/1998/25.pdf

4 Likes

Thanks, I always thought it was the other way around.

And as I remember my Ford Telstar Pioneer car radio auto seeking 92.1 on the Swansea bends in the early 90s.

2 Likes

I thought I’d better produce a source for that claim quick smart, otherwise it’s a swift rebuke from @TV-Expert :wink: I seem to remember getting one of them in weak mono from Oatley on the Sanyo boombox, it was probably 92.1. Only a very marginal signal from memory on that, though.

2 Likes

Currently the ACMA are conducting an Audit of LPONs, do you think the ACMA should extend this audit to Community Radio and Commercial Broadcasters?

2 Likes

If memory serves me correctly I was listening to both of those outlets in my youth in the St.George area of Sydney.

3 Likes

Yeah, if I had a better setup then I dare say both would have been received OK.

Community radio stations basically get audited at licence renewal time. There should be more oversight of commercial radio but it ain’t gonna happen: paying $150 M for a licence is also a ‘golden ticket’ out of regulation, sadly.

1 Like

hhh is still out. Helps me with my SWR reception in reducing interference. Not sure what else you can get on 100.1 FM in Sydney. Maybe Bathurst?

2 Likes

Bathurst would be most likely, followed by 100.1 Triple J Bega, but current tropo conditions & week long forecast is woeful ATM, (similar with the weather), such that I’m not predicting anything much more than white noise… (or a return to the airwaves of 100.1 2HHH) over the week.
If it was the SpE season 100.1 Wide Bay would be a possible candidate.

1 Like

2RE Gloucester has been received in the higher parts of Newcastle, though not very strong.

You’re probably more likely to get 2RE than Wide Bay. Agree that Bathurst and JJJ South East are more likely.

SBS Murrurundi is no longer on air as well.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the temporary community licence for 94.1 on the Gold Coast has been extended? I had read it was due to expire on 31/03/2023.

1 Like

Yes, the new licence will take effect from Saturday 1st April, but it hasn’t been granted as yet.

3 Likes

So its running illegally… ugh…

1 Like

Well there’s still a few days until 31/03/2023

1 Like

true i think im about a month ahead of myself again… been one of those weeks

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s any chance they might look for a different frequency for 94.1 given it’s a temporary licence anyway. It would be good to free up 94.1 for possible use in Brisbane.
Other community stations like Juice 107.3 aren’t on “Brisbane” frequency spacing so I don’t see why 94.1 has to be. Juice is on 0.4 spacing sandwiched between Nova and Triple J.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. ACMA’s RRL isn’t 100% reliable where TCBLs are concerned, especially when a TCBL holder’s licence is due to expire and a new one is due to kick in upon expiry of the old one.

1 Like

There’s also 4UM (‘Us Mob’) in Cherbourg to consider.

2 Likes