AFL Coverage

The Glasshouse and AIA are separate, but both controlled by Collingwood and part of their admin and training base.

And some interesting reading about Eddie’s more than convenient stint on the board of AA whilst president of Collingwood.

Anyway, way off topic.

2 Likes

Nine Radio have 3AW’s Round 1 schedule up on the Syndication site. It’s pretty much as per the press release, but only mentions play-by-play callers, not special comments or boundary riders. If we fill in those based on the press release, the schedule looks like this:

Thursday 19:07 – 22:30
19:20 Richmond v Carlton
Venue MCG, Vic
Callers Anthony Hudson, Bruce Eva
Comments TBC
Boundary TBC

Friday 18:07 – 23:00
19:40 Geelong Cats v Collingwood
Venue MCG, Vic
Callers Anthony Hudson, Bruce Eva
Comments Leigh Matthews, Matthew Lloyd
Boundary Libby Birch

Saturday 12:07 – 23:00
13:45 North Melbourne v West Coast Eagles
Venue Marvel Stadium, Vic
Callers Tim Lane, Tony Leonard
Comments Leigh Matthews, Jimmy Bartel
Boundary Jacqui Reed

19:25 Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Venue MCG, Vic
Callers Matt Granland, Shane McInnes
Comments Tony Shaw
Boundary Abbie McKay

Sunday 12:07 – 19:00
15:20 Hawthorn v Essendon
Venue MCG, Vic
Callers Tim Lane, Matt Granland
Comments Matthew Richardson, Tony Shaw
Boundary Jacqui Reed

3 Likes

Eddie McGuire said at the 3AW season launch on Thursday that he had made himself available to commentate on a handful of games this season for the station, and had not ruled out calling some matches with Tim Lane. The two men fell out in 2002 over McGuire calling Collingwood games on Friday nights, when they were working for Nine.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/3aws-toprating-afl-team-has-secured-eddie-mcguire-for-select-games-this-footy-season/news-story/b714c6e22ab41e56db4997aec4a90887

3 Likes

K-Rock and Triple M Melbourne are broadcasting tonight’s practice match between Brisbane and Geelong live.

Triple M will also broadcast these practice matches live.
Friday: St Kilda v Essendon, West Coast v Adelaide
Saturday: Melbourne v Richmond

SEN 1116 will broadcast Saturday’s match between Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne.

3 Likes

Former Geelong and GWS player Steve Johnson will join Triple M’s commentary team for the 2023 season, which starts next Thursday.

UPDATE 14/3: SCA announced sponsors for Triple M’s coverage this morning: McDonald’s, Rheem hot water system, CBUS Super, Harvey Norman, Beacon Lighting, Choice Hotels, Jim Beam, Bob Jane T-Mart and Neds.

2 Likes
1 Like

Truth be told this comes up every 2nd year or so, but it would be awkward this time for an organisation who is supposedly supportive of “The Voice” (a discussion for another place) to turn its back on the radio service that’s catering for the very people the voice is supposed to support.

1 Like

SEN/AFL Nation has stopped providing a complete list of AFL matches they will broadcast on analogue radio for respective markets each week, as well as commentary teams for each match.

Of course, every home and away game this year onwards will be available via the SEN app (and SEN Stadium app for selected matches).

The AFL website is now the only place to find out the stations covering each match (usually updated every Wednesday).

3 Likes

Saturday 18 March
Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval
4:00p – 6.50p
Bounce: 4:05pm
Call team: Chris Dittmar, Mark Soderstrom, Shaun Burgoyne, Dom Cassisi, Rhett Biglands

Well that’s a new name for Triple M. I guess it makes sense since he’s doing breakfast at SAFM, not sure how it’d work with his channel 7 SANFL and AFL commitments though.

2 Likes

3AW have brought back their old theme.

1 Like

Old theme? Have they dropped the updated one that was brought in a few years ago?

1 Like

Yes, they’ve removed the updated one and gone back to the old one. I mean it sounds good, but I feel like it’s a bit of a backwards step.

1 Like

Might have even an accident actually… because it doesn’t include The Suns. New producers?
Unless they don’t care because we only care about the Vic teams ? Haha

I have always preferred the old one, it has a better tone and tempo. The new one was too acoustic.

Would be great if they could somehow update the old one and maintain it

1 Like

SEN / AFL Nation commentators tonight appear to be Gerard Whateley, Matt Hill and Dermott Brereton.

SEN’s live sport guide indicates that the Ace stations are the only non-SEN stations taking AFL Nation tonight. Although as 2SM is still promoting AFL coverage, I expect that when the list is updated for the weekend, SRN/BOG will take a couple games.

2 Likes

No effect this week given the SANFL doesn’t start for another week, and apart from R5 (Gather Round) the first Ch7 commitment for an Adelaide based game is a Port FNF game in R10, when MMM usually have the Melbourne based team do the game.

3 Likes

Is it still called AFL Nation? Or is it just NRL Nation that has dropped the generic branding?

1 Like

If it were me, I’d have SEN League and SEN Footy. Then call Football Nation SEN Football (or just SEN Soccer - as we ARE in Australia).

1 Like

The AFL Nation website is still active, but is only reposting AFL news articles from the SEN website.

The AFL Nation podcast has also been updated with highlights from the commentary of last night’s season opener between Richmond and Carlton, as well as pre-match and post-match in full.

2 Likes

Yep, still called AFL Nation. The various SEN streams taking the call even list it as that.

As for affiliates. In addition to Ace taking most timeslots and SRN/BOG taking at least two Saturday games, it seems that Resonate are taking the same games as SRN/BOG, while CAAMA, Cruise 1323 Adelaide, Voice FM 99.9 Ballarat and KLFM 96.5 Bendigo are taking some games.

3 Likes

Any mention on air or online/socials from Cruise1323 regarding them now taking the calls?

I’d love to read/see listener feedback.

They’re one of the last of the strong performing AM music stations and this’ll seriously have an impact on its listeners.

It’s not like Adelaide really has any alternative for when 1323AM takes the call.

SEN already destroyed ARN’s 4KQ. Why are they letting it happen again to Cruise?

3 Likes