Climate, Weather and Emergencies

3 Likes

Isnā€™t 733mm Perthā€™s yearly rainfall average these days.

When I see Youtube videos of the UK and they say itā€™s raining , it looks more like spitting or super light compared to here.

Sydney really had that much? I went online and it says 221mm in Sydney this month?

1 Like

London and Bungendore have just about the same annual rainfall; I calculated a long term average of 620 mm for Bungendore going back to the late 19th century. But there is obviously much more evaporation, sunshine and heat in Bungendore compared to London and thus Bungendore is a much drier climate overall.

Places just to the east of Bungendore on the Great Dividing Range crest have a much wetter climate and thereā€™s even some patches of temperate rainforest around Harolds Cross (SW of Braidwood). Amazing what a high mountain range can do.

1 Like

Brissy current temp is 11.8 degrees. Maximum was 13 degrees? Wow. I guess it is nothing compared @TV_Addict post.

4 Likes

Unseasonally cold weather in many parts of QLD. Even Cairns hit a top of just 20 degrees! The 20 degrees was the coldest maximum since 23 May 2020 where it hit just 20.3 degrees! I think Cairns is enjoying decent amount of rain.

2 Likes

Yeppoon has had 139mm since Friday the average for this time of year is 43mm.

Still on 558mm so far year to date by now we should be on 700mm so still behind .

Another 12.5 deg day here at times the feels like temp was 7 .

Tomorrow is going to be sunny and 19 deg still 2 deg below average.

1 Like

I think the 733mm would be quoting the wettest figure within metro Sydney (probably somewhere like Lucas Heights) as opposed to the main CBD weather station at Observatory Hill.

As the rainfall totals have been quite volatile.

Cooktown had maximum of 24 I assume thatā€™s cool. Currently 20.1 degrees.

1 Like

Nearmap have been very clever in getting in and taking aerial photos of floods during/very soon after the events for some years now, itā€™s quite the resource to have access to. They took an image of Brisbane a day or two after the peak of the 2011 floods which is an excellent resource for plotting just how high the water levels got - very handy when house hunting, I can assure from personal experience.

4 Likes

Sydney city is about 300mm away from its wettest year on record [in July]

In three days in March, Brisbane got 80 per cent of its average annual rainfall

1 Like
1 Like

Another rain event mid week , upper trough. Central Qld could be in the firing line.

1 Like

The Brits are dealing with their first 40C day, ever.

The poor Brits just arenā€™t equiped to deal with that heat. I was watching some British breakfast news this afternoon and had a chuckle about commuters on the trains complaining about the heat in carriages. Having endured long hot summers commuting on non air-conditioned Sydney trains and arriving at work drenched in my own sweat, i didnā€™t have a lot of sympathy.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny, my parents are over there at the moment with the hottest temps ever there but weā€™re here and getting minus 2 and 3 degrees in the morning which is actually quite cool for us.

I know Australians are laughing and telling them to suck it up but itā€™s like here in North West Tassie facing temps of 40 degrees. It doesnā€™t happen and it would be a huge shock if it did. Hobart and other places in Tas have done it and they only do it for a day but this is several days of a severe heatwave. Our houses arenā€™t designed for that and neither are theirs - we still get laughed at by the mainlanders for calling the air con a heat pump, but I can tell you they are used a heck of a lot more for heating than cooling in a year!

1 Like

Bungendore gets below -5 and also occasionally above 40; itā€™s a pretty extreme climate by Australian standards in terms of temperature variance (not, however, in terms of actual weather: the majority of days are fine and mostly sunny).

Heating and cooling are both required, but the former much more than the latter as average temperatures in January are still reasonable at around 20C, similar to Melbourne in summer.

Itā€™s no Winnipeg though: apparently they had a dewpoint of 27C yesterday, and can also get temps in the 40s. This is a place that regularly sees -30 and below in winter! A dewpoint of 27 is above average during the height of the wet season in Darwin.

4 Likes

Updated record temp over 40