Climate, Weather and Emergencies

1 Like

Shortest Day of the year today. Now we go back the other way.

7 Likes

Its very chilli in Darwin. Max of 25.

http://www.bom.gov.au/nt/forecasts/darwin.shtml

Interesting, unusual to have wet weather in the dry season.

2 Likes

Driest June on record here in Yeppoon Central Qld … though records start in 1994.

We’re 233 mm short year to date but looks like a heap of rain coming soon.

Looks like a similar month to 2007 June.

1 Like

Down to an ungodly 14C in the Darwin CBD next week too. Might even need enclosed shoes!

5 Likes

Make sure you get your winter woollens out. I think the record low is about 10?

The record low maximum temp is something like 21C. Its currently just below 20C at 9am so if things keep tracking the way they do we’re not far off.

1 Like

Going to be unusually cold in Rockhampton

The average max is usually 23.3deg.

4 Likes

Forecast maximums are only one degree warmer than Geelong on those days, but Geelong will be sunny so will probably feel warmer

2 Likes

Monday Rockhampton

Geelong

2 Likes

Still not much difference considering the locations of both places

1 Like

The mean 24 hour temp will still be significantly cooler in Geelong, though. That’s what I look at when gauging how warm a place really is. So even an unusually cool spell in Rockhampton is still much warmer than an above average winter’s day in Geelong.

Bungendore and inner western Sydney have the same average maximum temperature in summer (27-28 in Jan) yet it feels a bucketload cooler here, due to our sharp evening easterlies and much cooler nights. Not to mention the much lower humidity (dewpoints).

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good call re the mean temp. So winters here in Brisbane for instance normally hit 21-22 degrees, yet you really only get that for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day and it’s acutally much colder at night/in the morning due to the lack of cloud cover letting the temps drop low overnight. I know still hitting 21 is quite nice, but when it’s been 4-5 overnight (which it routinely hits out here west of the CBD) it can feel a lot colder than that for a good chunk of the day.

And @TV_Addict nice to see CQ will finally get some of that rain they’ve largely missed out on all year.

2 Likes

Though I have noticed that even at Canungra with its very low minimum temps, it’s usually well above 10C by 9 AM. So never too bad in SEQ, at least compared to here or Victoria. If there is fog or low cloud in Canberra inhibiting morning warming, mean 24 hour temps can be as low as about 2C. The house never really gains any warmth on those days.

3 Likes

In Yeppoon it can be 12 deg at 7am and by 9am it is already 20 deg .

Looks like the cooler weather is here already , check out those apparent feels like temps

12.6 deg here feels like 10.3 deg ! (average here is 21 deg and 12 at night in July)

Warmer in Hobart

2 Likes

Today was colder in Cobar than Canberra… for both max and min. Not very often you see that in any season. The reason is the location of the low, pumping warm and moist air onto the east coast and drier, cooler air from the SW into inland NSW. Queensland is also getting some of that colder air; the surface wind is cooler westerly in Rockhampton as shown above.

We are barely getting a drop of rain here thanks to the strong rain shadow effect from the coastal mountains (and the focus of the coastal rain is further north in any event).

Despite the cloudy and windy conditions making things feel a little cool, mean 24 hour temps are well above average here at around 9C (average should be 5-6C in July). June’s average was 5C and with the warm start to July, I think June will comfortably be the coldest month of the year here. July is almost always above average these days.

The June mean temp is usually 6C and it’s an achievement to get any winter month 1C below average now; it seems to be more common to get negative anomalies in the warmer months as it’s cloud cover and rain that dictate how cool things stay, rather than penetration of cold fronts as in winter.

In Bendigo, we have currently had some cold days recently, some days in the morning dipping to minus temperatures. I think nearly all of Victoria is getting these cold temperatures, not just Bendigo.

However, there haven’t been many cloudy days recently. It has been sunny for the past week, and looks to continue until school holidays end in Victoria. In my opinion, I actually like cloudy days better than sunny days.

This month, I haven’t seen any rain around at all, and looking at the temperatures online, it seems that there will be no rain until the end of the school holidays, unlike in NSW who will get another big drenching.

From January to July, we have only just got over 300mm, with us having 301.6 mm of rain, which is 70mm more than our average. I feel like this month will be like February, where we get hardly any rain.

Off a social media post

1230 pm QLD time

Temps on the tropical and sub tropical coast

Some holiday makers wouldn’t be happy about this coming from the southern states

Cairns 18.4

Townsville 14.1

Ayr 12.9

Woolshed 10.6

Hamilton island 14.8

Mackay 12.6

Gladstone 11.8

12.3 in Yeppoon and 12.5 in Rockhampton it’s warmer in Hobart !

2 Likes

I hope it’s not like that next month 9th -15th August when I’ll be there.They have the v8s there next weekend so I hope they have good weather for it