Climate, Weather and Emergencies

It was the coldest morning in Melbourne in three years today. In Glen Waverley it was around 0C. In the CBD the temperature dropped to 0.9C at 7am.

EDIT: Melbourne CBD’s official lowest temperature was 0.8C recorded at 7.40am.

2 Likes

you thought that cold, try living in Ballarat, where it was -1 or more at 7am

1 Like

The highs this winter have been way further south than usual causing very cold mornings in VIC and TAS, places that are usually affected by too much cloud and wind. By contrast, after a few frosts up here, we’re expecting very mild nights for the balance of the week courtesy of wind, cloud and humid air from the Tasman Sea in E-SE winds.

I am gobsmacked at just how many stations reached 40 in the UK. I was expecting maybe one or two.

3 Likes
1 Like

Highs have been further south but at times I have seen them over land. I wonder if that is why it has been so wet in our dry season here in Central Qld and so dry in Perth’s wet season.

There was a good burst of proper westerlies in June, which resulted in an excellent start to the snow season, but that’s dried up almost entirely now. We have a persistent positive phase of the Southern Annular Mode, causing cold fronts to contract towards Antarctica and high pressure further south, and mild easterlies right down the east coast. Basically, in a positive SAM the weather systems move further south; the reverse is true in a negative SAM.

A strong negative SAM in spring 2019 was one of the culprits behind the severe bushfires that year. Strong and dry westerly winds blew as far north as SE Queensland. Between extreme heat days there were actually some very cool days in Bungendore that spring, notably 13-14 one day in early December- though it was dry everywhere.

Positive SAM phases are becoming the norm, hence the long term drying trend in what I call the ‘SAM regions’, SW WA being the most obvious. As the decades roll on I expect other SAM regions further south (such as around Mount Gambier) to undergo more drying. And places that benefit from easterly rain such as the Southern Highlands of NSW will become wetter in winter.

2 Likes

Are Sydney trains all air-conditioned now? That would have been a while ago I’m guessing.

The past tense was used (‘endured’). But going home on a 40C day in an S-set (‘tin can’) sans A/C is an experience that is not quickly forgotten. Particularly if one has to wear a school uniform. And yes, even in the morning they could be uncomfortable during the interminable humid rut Sydney finds itself in during late Jan to early March.

I recall that being one of the hypotheses I learnt about back in my (brief) studies of atmospheric science at uni - that climate change would shift the prevailing weather patterns further towards the poles as the planet warmed, meaning areas such as mid-latitudes that relied on frontal systems delivering their rain would start to suffer from drought as a result. This was in the mid-2000s though, right after the nasty 2006 drought year (part of the multi-year millennium drought), and I presume there has been a bit more evidence to base things on since?

1 Like

170mm this month in Yeppoon and the average is 43mm

Our wet season was dry and our dry season is wet.

Still 105mm below average year to date but as long as we keep getting above average rain this should reduce.

It feels like a cooler wetter winter.

Everyone likes pretty pictures…but these aren’t so pretty. Compare a year in the 80s or 90s to now (using 1991-2020 averages):

https://climatlas.com/temperature/jra55_temperature.php

Most of Australia has actually had a pretty cold July…except for eastern NSW, which is feeling the effects of all that mild easterly air. Locally we are in for a pretty warm finish to the month, so July could be about 1.5C warmer than June in Bungendore on a 24 hour mean temp basis which is quite significant.

2 Likes

Brutally cold this morning across the Southern Tablelands. Temperature roll call:

Canberra Airport: -6.5
Braidwood: -6.9
Bungendore paddock station: -7.5
Goulburn Airport: -8.1
Cooma Airport (always the winner): -10 even.

3 Likes

Yep! Had -6°C on the thermometer at my part of Canberra at 7:30am this morning, freezing!
I had a look online this morning and found an unofficial weather station online near Cooma which got down to -11.1°C as well.

Heard on the JWC Facebook page that there is a 75 percent chance of the BOM calling a La Nina in September.

I’d believe it. There are much better frost hollows in the Monaro than Cooma Airport.

1 Like

This is just so sad to see.

1 Like
1 Like