Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Here is a slightly different story - about 1 meter of rain so far this year in Sydney, Brisbane and Darwin - and BRisbane has had a lot more since 15 May.

Brisbane has been the wettest capital city this year, with 1060mm of rain, ahead of Darwin’s 1013mm and Sydney’s 967mm. While Perth and Adelaide are yet to record 100mm.

1 Like

Rockhampton pretty much didn’t get much substantial rain from mid December until May . Most of the rain that fell was isolated storms .

Wasn’t completely dry but November was above average , December was below (though they classify it as above as rain fell on the last day of November but counted as Decembers)

December dry, January below average, February below average , March below average … April rain came back but still below average and May finally above average.

Yeppoon is still 167mm below year to date.

Rockhampton is about 40mm short of the year to date average.

Yeppoon had the driest summer in 120 years .

Every January since 2015 has been very dry here for some reason but overall it has been made up in other months .

I know last year the IOD (Indian Ocean Dipole)was positive but we still had above average rain in winter… though for here that means about 50-60mm each month as the averages are low at this time of year. I didn’t think the IOD affected up my way but it was wetter slightly.

So not all the state flooded. Cairns didn’t.

Central Queensland seems to be caught in an unfortunate position for rainfall. You’re too far south for the genuine monsoonal rain in the tropics, but seemingly too far north to benefit from the subtropical troughs and lows which have been slamming SE QLD and NE NSW. As discussed before, the orientation of the coast doesn’t help and there are no high mountains nearby to attract rainfall as in Cairns or Coffs Harbour.

1 Like

Rockhampton is more in an unfortunate position. Yeppoon is right near the ocean. Our rainfall yearly though i guess for where we are is low 967mm just slightly behind Bundaberg , Mackay is about 1500mm. I think Rockhampton is 815mm .(That isn’t much more than Perth in SW WA)

Last year and the year before have although summer has been not always wet , the year has delivered above average rainfall. We’ve had just over 1200mm last year and before.

In 2020 we were got over 600mm in Feb and March combined from some coastal rain yet Rockhampton completely kept missing out . It just didn’t want to travel 40km inland.

I see next weekend in winter Rockhampton is going for 29 degrees (average is 23.5 deg ) . I’m thinking this winter might be warmer and drier than average despite the BOM saying wetter . It’s only early June so might change.

Just going by what it feels like now , only now starting to feel like May weather now and it’s late May so everything seems delayed .

Yeah, a great point about the weather feeling ‘delayed’. It’s exactly what I was thinking too.

An example from here in Brisbane, we normally do the Mother’s Day Classic run which starts at about 7am on Mother’s Day, the second Sunday in May. Typically by Mother’s Day the nights have become quite cold so getting up at 6am to chuck your running shorts on is quite brisk, and you’re normally debating whether to start with a jumper on.

This year it was quite different, a somewhat mild morning where jumpers were definitely not necessary, perhaps due to the extra cloud about associated with the rain we’ve had? Only this weekend, right at the end of May, does it feel like what would typically start May.

1 Like

Last year up my way it was like April 12th or 14 th it just changed and didn’t revert.

I think back when Cyclone Debbie (Ex by then) came around it even cooled down earlier in March a few years before that.

This year humidity and warm nights lingered into May. May here has been 0.5 deg above normal for days but with the humidity it has felt warmer. Nights about 4 deg warmer . Must be La Nina .

Going into June still looks like May nights in the mid sometimes high teens after that short coldness .

Doesn’t seem fair , we had above average humidity and dew points and temps from late October, below average rain or a few months, below average wind speeds this year , finally get rain then go into winter and above average temperatures starting off again.

Last year winter temps were very close to average which it hadn’t been for a few years so it felt colder.

It’s like it doesn’t want to cool down. Next week here the BOM Meteye app has my area on a dew point of 18 deg with 65 percent humidity and 25-26 deg . Temps , dew point above average. Dew point usually around 11-12 deg or less in June.

I’m going to bet it gets cooler after the solstice but I think we might get another lot of rain in Central Qld or somewhere before July is dry.

If you moved here from England it would be like summer all year around lol. To me if feels like October to June … feels like we are going into month 8 of … well not summer but not winter .

Maybe more cold fronts last year .

according to Twitter. Ballarat had snow today , and it also snowed in Creswick (source my other half)

1 Like

Melbourne’s weather was very windy, wet and cold with temperatures hitting just 11.4 degrees (at 9:48am) (according to BOM). My cousin was in Melbourne and she felt the cold conditions. What a cold day.
Over in the west, Newman in the Pilbara region, reached a top of just Nine degrees, which appears to be the coldest day on record for the Pilbara town. This was due to exceptionally heavy rain that lashed the region. Perth weather was warmer than Newman!

It’s only 2pm, might be a little early to call this.

right now its only 2.5 with a feels like -3.6

3 Likes

Just a quick update on Bendigo weather for this year:

The start of the year had nearly no rain here in Bendigo, with only 3.2 mm in February. I felt like we were gonna go into drought like in 2006-2010 but luckily we didn’t. When I went to swim at a reservoir near Bendigo this year in January, it was much drier than when I had been last been to it in November 2021.

In March we had some more 68.8 mm of rain, which was good unlike Northern NSW/South East QLD. Also some rain in April and May, but not much compared to other areas. We had a few days of heavy rain over the past few weeks, but it is mostly sunny or cloudy. Luckily, I have only seen hail in Bendigo once this year, at the end of May while walking home.

Overall, we have only had 260 mm of rain this year, which is 250 mm less than the average of 510 mm between 1990-2021. I hope Bendigo doesn’t go into severe drought again.

What has the weather been like in your area this year? I would like to hear from some other members.

1 Like

THe start of the year had nearly no rain in Perth, with just only 1.6mm recorded in February. In fact, Perth had an exceptionally hot summer with a mean max temp of 33.3 degrees which was the hottest summer ever. This exceeded the previous record of 32.3 degrees Celsius in 2012-13. Believe it or not, perth recorded 13 days of over 40 degrees, which shattered its records.
In March, we had a bit of rain, but still warmer than average. Also, in April, we had above average rain. We had at least one day of heavy rain during APril, but most of the time, it is mostly clear. In May, we had some decent amount of rain. The 12th May was the coldest day so far this year with a max of just 14.4 degrees, which was the coldest May day since May 2004.
Overall, we have only had 167.2mm this year which was drier.
As I have looked on the outlook, I noticed that Perth will have a drier than average winter. Last winter was very wet in Perth.

1 Like

Some brief snow in Bungendore very early this morning, the first I’ve witnessed within the town limits. It actually settled a bit on the escarpment which reaches up to 900 m ASL. We have only squeaked above 10C on two days this past week (10.7 and 10.5). That is cold for here; Bungendore and the Canberra region in general has warm maximum temps for the altitude due to its leeward position (we are better known for frost and low minima than snow and low maxima).

It is rare to get a day with no sunshine at all here due to the surrounding mountains. Brief sunny breaks tend to spike temperatures fairly quickly and so lead to a warmer maximum that may be unrepresentative of the day as a whole- even in winter.

1 Like

Yeppoon had the driest summer in 120 years .Not as dry as Perth but it was dry and temps were above average.

average rainfall to Jun
652.1mm
75.0 day(s)

total for 2022
423.2mm
68 day(s)

Also we started June very warm unlike Brisbane:

1 Like
3 Likes

On the Congo Line (Braidwood FM) I heard that the weather was a bit warmer due to the “foehn” winds , I looked that up and it is quite fascinating.

One example was pretty amazing (source Wikipedia) ;

• On 29 May 2007, it was observed that temperature at Sale (leeward side) was around 4–9 °C (7–16 °F) higher than the corresponding temperatures at Melbourne and Wangaratta (which lie on the upwind side). In this foehn event, Sale had a high above 24 °C (75 °F), whereas the latter cities struggled to reach higher than 12 °C (54 °F). Furthermore, the relative humidity was 31% at Sale and as high as 80%–90% at Melbourne and Wangaratta.[1] Unusually warm and dry conditions were also registered at other stations in the downwind side of the ranges – Bairnsdale, Orbost, Latrobe Valley, and Nowa Nowa, which recorded temperatures of 24 °C (75 °F), 24.2 °C (76 °F), 22.9 °C (73 °F), and 22.6 °C (73 °F), respectively, making this location in the lee of the ranges consistent with the position of the foehn gap and foehn arch.[1]

The Congo line isn’t all about the music, the weather forecasts are always very interesting even though I am in Sydney.

Market notices published on the AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) website are warning of maximum power load interruptions in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.

This is forecast to impact Queensland from 5pm until 10:30pm and NSW from 5:30pm to 10:30pm, with further interruptions possible tomorrow.

Potential power interruptions are being forecast for Tasmania, South Australia and Victoria tomorrow evening.

A solution would be to bring the entire electricity system back into the hands of either State Governments or the Federal Government. Privatisation was a mistake.

1 Like

That ship sailed 15 years ago, at least in NSW, with the previous Labor government.

1 Like