Climate, Weather and Emergencies

So does the humidity at this time of year in Yeppoon still make it feel “muggy” as opposed to just being warmer than usual for June?

I’m loving the weather here in Newcastle lately, days are mostly sunny with temps around 7 to 19 degreees.

1 Like

Generally no . It just doesn’t feel cold .

I did go walking in an area away from the very light wind at the harbour yesterday . Very calm almost no wind and i did end up very lightly sweating . Not as intense as summer but it was warm. Said it was 22 deg but felt like 26-27. That’s an extreme example.

With more moisture around the air just feels not cold . When we had that cold snap in May it felt really chilly.

1 Like

Are you likely to get the cold (or rather, cool) snap that Brisbane is due for in the next couple of days? Overnight lows in particular here are about to drop from tomorrow onwards - Ipswich is down to 3-4 overnight by Thursday/Friday.

2 Likes

Thursday onwards Yeppoon below , the humidity and dew points drop back so yes our overnight lows go back to 13 deg and days around 22 deg

Thursday , Friday and Saturday below for Yeppoon …

Yeppoon :

Rockhampton

Cooler minimums though 50km inland from me but days warmer (should be around 23.6 deg in June there).

The mean 9am dew point is usually 12.8 deg here and 13.6 deg in the afternoon… lately the dew point has been over 16 deg hovering around 19-20 deg .

Guess this humidity is not surprising given the narrow strip of coolness

Wonder if El Nino if it is announced by the BOM … will not be as dry with the sea being warmer than normal. Wonder if floods in summer despite a Nino.

1 Like

You still need the atmosphere to play ball. Warm SSTs by themselves are not sufficient for rainfall. Warmer than average SSTs can certainly enhance rainfall events, though.

Unfortunately, by definition in an El Nino, atmospheric conditions are usually unfavourable for above average rainfall. The SE’ly trade winds that are the mainstay of rainfall in eastern Queensland are weaker and shallower than usual, so don’t pick up as much moisture from the Coral Sea. That leaves storms as the main source of rainfall, and you don’t want to be relying on them, particularly in central Queensland where the Great Dividing Range (the trigger for most storms) is well inland.

Storms are already the dominant source of summer rainfall in the Canberra region, which is naturally a dry climate anyhow.

As I’ve said before, you can have insanely high dewpoints but zero chance of rain. This happens quite often in Australia. You just need a stable, hot continental airmass with a shallow seabreeze on the coast. The moisture (humidity) introduced by the seabreeze is extremely shallow and so doesn’t produce rainfall.

2 Likes

Like back in 2021 into 22 the dew points here high from November but very dry but we were in La Nina but all the rains were down in SEQld ? North and CQ were very dry.

I meant just average rainfall here? maybe… . The Coral Sea is still warmer than normal.

Rockhampton could be on 28 deg again by the end of the week.

Come to think of it our heaviest rain here isn’t until about Dec- March anyway which is when an El Nino would be starting to break down I think.

2017 was quite warm for winter in Rocky and by October saw some heavy rain but it must have been storms .

We can’t seem to have an average temp /average rainfall winter these days it just swings to cool wet or warmer than usual and dry .

1 Like

That’s a problem everywhere. There’s no happy medium anymore.

1 Like

Yeah coming from April still hitting 35 deg which is unusual for here in April then it started cooling off and May mins this year was 2deg cooler yet last year it was 3 deg warmer than average

Everything is on the extreme. Could be up to 26 deg on the coast with NW winds here on Friday .

At least the nights here are stable not swinging around between 7 then 17 deg.

1 Like

An earthquake has been recorded in Sydney’s south west. #7NEWS https://t.co/jyENsDB90v

— 7NEWS Brisbane (@7NewsBrisbane) June 18, 2023

2 Likes

I didn’t feel anything here in Newcastle.

What’s the bet it was a 2 or lower?

1 Like

Well last night was just a wee bit chilly in NSW!

Lots of temps below 0, minus 10 at Perisher Valley was the lowest I could see on the BOM site.

Closer to home, Lake Macquarie was minus 1, very unusual for it to below 0 that close to the coast here.

The cool air is not penetrating much north like it usually does . Combine that with a lack of rain and it’s been quite warmer than normal mainly at nights here. Rockhampton for day time max averages is averaging 26 deg instead of 23.5 deg . warmest since 2009 June.

1 Like

Oh my, 31 degrees is just too warm for this time of the year.

1 Like

@dxnerd or @Dani-Chan did you feel this?

3 Likes

Nope and I did not feel the Appin Earthquake either.

2 Likes

28.5 deg in Rockhampton today looks a bit humid too.

24.8 deg here in Yeppoon but it only briefly hit that at midday, Around 23 deg and muggy … feels warm but not hot.

Next weekend looks wet for much of Qld.

1 Like

Looks like February

And
extreme cold in central Australia with snow ?

2 Likes

ANother Victorian earthquake and another report from Chapel Street where a building was damaged in 2021 - seems to be the go to place when filing reports.

4 Likes

Some crazy humidity in Yeppoon and dew points next Thursday looks more like February than July

1 Like