Climate, Weather and Emergencies

At least it doesn’t snow in Brisbane

2 Likes

This could be a taste of what is in store for Australia this summer.

2 Likes

-7.9 here this morning. And for the record, I got Canberra in the survey above :slight_smile:

(I would prefer Nimmitabel if that was an option).

1 Like

Fuck… did Melbourne just have an earthquake??

I just woke right up and the house was swaying.

4 Likes

Yep, definitely an earthquake.

3 Likes

Didn’t seem as bad as the one in 2021. This felt quick, I was almost asleep!

1 Like

Big one… It felt like the house was coming down. I’m on the second story so it may have felt worse.

2 Likes

Apparently it was a 4.7

2 Likes

from here it felt quicker/stronger than the 2021 one. The 2021 one felt like it went for about 20 seconds, like just a rumbling, this one was like only a couple of seconds, felt like a truck hitting the house.

Apparently the epicentre was just outside Sunbury. Twitter is showing some homes to have small cracks in them.

It definitely felt different to the 2021 one but I was in two different locations. Strange feeling afterwards with all the birds waking up and flying away.

2 Likes

So many cracks in this house, what’s a few more :anguished:

4 Likes

I generally do a bathroom run at like 2 or 3am, but strangely the body woke me up at 11.43pm last night. Makes sense now lol.

2 Likes

I went to bed at 11.10pm last night and didn’t feel the earthquake at all.

I only found out via radio news this morning.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Brisbane a burn off has left a thick blanket of smoke over the south east

2 Likes

I can see it from down here on the Gold Coast

Normally i can just see the Brisbane skyline, but not today, too much smoke

1 Like
1 Like

I really question the value of the ‘scorched earth’ approach to HR burns. Pleasingly there are more traditional/cultural burns down this way nowadays. HR needs to be done but a more nuanced approach is needed.

No amount of HR will stop the worst bushfires anyway. Frequent HR burns have been a feature on the NSW South Coast for decades now and they made no difference to the outcome in 2019/20. The smoke pollution from the burns and their health effects are- on the other hand- known and certain. We’ll be getting enough smoke pollution from the next bad fire season so we don’t want to add to it voluntarily.

It’s been a chilly May but it will be an unusually warm start to June and winter here. Not looking good for the start of the snow season.

If you thought burnoff in Brisbane were bad last week , look at NYC impacted by Canadian wildfires.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s becoming a problem everywhere. Eastern North America was once a haven from bushfire smoke but no more.

The June average is 23.6 deg for Rockhampton .

Looks very warm the next couple of days for Rockhampton. Same day temps as Townsville.

In Yeppoon we still are running the ceiling fan in the west facing room . Dew points are still well above average in the last couple of weeks. The humidity today did not drop below 81 percent and the dew point was around 18-19 deg today well above normal.

The day temp was only 21.7 deg which is slightly below the average of 22 deg but it was not a cold feeling 21.7 deg . The air in the morning has no coolness in it .

I went to weather.com and from around the 20th it seems normal mins of 13 deg but for how long?

At this rate winter will be about a month.

Seems like winter was 2 weeks in May. We’re about 3.5 deg above average for min temps. Last night it didn’t cool off until 1.30am the feels like temp was still around 20 deg. We’ve had no mins below 14 deg this month.

All this humidity but no rain .

Currently 17.4 deg but it doesn’t even feel cool it feels much warmer.

1 Like