Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Though the prospect of bushfires is just as damaging as floods - perhaps even more so as more lives tend to be lost in bushfires.

Personally its floods but i get your point.

1 Like

I’d take excessively wet over excessively dry, and increasingly it’s either one or the other in summer now. The only advantage of dry conditions is lower humidity, but it’s not that humid here in any event.

You can prepare somewhat better for a flood, and it’s wise not to live in a flood prone area in the first instance. Bushfires can start (or intensify) without much warning and, on the most severe days, can engulf entire towns in minutes.

Drought on its own causes a whole stack of problems of course, and droughts generally mean extreme summer heatwaves. Heat is actually the most deadly natural hazard.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Something just flew into FNQ just now. Asteroid or space junk ? Or did a nuclear bomb just go off somewhere in Asia? Whole sky lit up.

Will be a big crater somewhere out towards the Gulf.

1 Like

If it’s a nuclear weapon, you’d know all about it. Go watch Threads or The Day After. Or any nuclear apocalypse drama.

That was probably your NQ Cowboys being blown apart back into Townsville after having 66 points put on them by the Wests Tigers!

3 Likes

2 Likes

I don’t know, therefore aliens?

There would have been more than a few UFO reports from outback QLD; it is the extraterrestrial capital of Australia after all (Min Min lights etc.)

Good video

3 Likes

Not much between Cairns and the Gulf so might be a while if anyone finds anything left over.

I wonder how big it was… and how much damage it might cause if it were to crash into say Sydney or Melbourne?

1 Like

Likely not that much damage, however the media would likely go into meltdown if it was a Melbourne or Sydney, likely rolling coverage.

3 Likes

Suggestion of somewhere near Croydon NQ or in the ocean.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I did this and unsurprisingly got Brisbane. Though I did find some of the measures misleading - the dots appear to rank every other capital apart from Canberra and Perth as having greater humidity, which as anyone who’s lived in Brisbane knows is just not the case.

Maybe the authors fell for the old trick of using relative humidity which may be higher in cooler, damper climates like Melbourne. But on any absolute measure, surely Brisbane is a more humid city than any of the southern capitals?

3 Likes

I got Sydney, even though I opted for lower humidity. Sydney is more humid than everywhere else except Brisbane.

I got Sydney. The Guardian can rack off back to Manchester.

1 Like

I’m moving to Brisbane. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: