Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Winter isn’t done with us yet!

4 Likes
2 Likes

(The Bureau) predicts a greater than 60 per cent chance of above-average rainfall on the east coast from December to February.

Nights are expected to be warmer than usual across the tropical north and in some southern areas, including Tasmania.

Summer days are also likely to be warmer than average across most of WA and the Northern Territory, north and central Queensland coastal areas, and parts of the south including Tasmania.

1 Like
1 Like

Perhaps to help offset the $220k wasted on its infamous rebranding exercise?!

If they are just given the information from meteorologists then it shouldn’t matter who’s saying it?

1 Like
2 Likes

The median rainfall here is quite low here i noticed in Yeppoon

We’re only at 57mm this month so need about another 40mm to get the median.

The humidity has gone after the storm last night

940am today

vs yesterday 9.30am

Dew point 24 vs 11 deg

Humidity 74 percent vs 34 percent now

Feels like or apparent temperature 34.4 deg vs 26 deg now

2 Likes

Been a while coming…

Seems to be cyclones on the west coast but havent seen anything since Debbie in 2017 in the Coral Sea.

Looks like the Monsoon has arrived. Next week looks particularly heavy across FNQ/Gulf/NT. If your planning a trip to Cairns I would possibly reschedule.

Look at this rain in the next 10 days. More next week, no warnings from the Bureau yet. Will be considerable flooding in the Far north.

1 Like

There’s only a 50/50 chance Central Qld will get median rainfall this month . So much for La Nina… Yeppoon has had 7 years in a row since 2015 of below average rainfall in January … will 2023 make it 8 ? (Note - despite this from 2015 to 2022 only 2018 and 19 were below average dry years) .

1 Like

Seems to be dying off.

El Niño on the other hand seems more probable in the coming years. Will be interesting to see what the data shows in around 6 months.

We might have got lucky in the last few years around any cyclone forming, might not see one for a while now.

It is probable because these things go around in a constant cycle.

2 Likes

Update from Bendigo:

So far we have not had rain for 9 days straight, and it will continue with no rain (or less than 1mm) until at least next Wednesday. It is also expected to get to 39 on Saturday which I hate. If La Nina will not return I feel like we will go into a drought.

1 Like
1 Like

It has been a very mild summer in the Greater Sydney region in 22/23.

I’m not complaining though :grin:

1 Like

Yeppoon is having the wettest January since 2015. It has been below average every year since then

1 Like

Wow, some massive rain totals are forecast for the Tropical Nth Qld area over the next 3 days.

Mackay - 430 mm
Hamilton Island - 550 mm

:scream:

Let’s hope it’s not that bad.

1 Like