Climate, Weather and Emergencies

When the gambling industry is more important than ordinary people’s homes:

1 Like

You’d think they’d be more important considering they probably own quite a few :wink:

Not the only place i’ve seen this.
In QLD where I grew up, a Woolworths was built in a flood zone with a giant wall along the edge of the lot.

After that the houses a couple of km away on the other side of the wall all flooded multiple times (and continue to, to this day) when they never used to even be in the flood risk zone.

1 Like

On Tuesday morning, the agency asked media outlets to update their style guides and no longer refer to it as the “BOM” or the “Weather Bureau”.

Instead, it wants reporters and presenters to use the full name of the Bureau of Meteorology in the first instance and “the Bureau” in subsequent references.

It appears the bureau is yet to make those changes, and within minutes of the media alert being released, some of their desired Twitter handles were claimed by other people.

https://twitter.com/TheBureau_NSW/status/1582192150305198080?s=20&t=BTzuzC940VaYLfPpoT8Iug

2 Likes

Who are the idiots running the BoM? :clown_face:

Yeah well I’m going to keep calling them BoM. What are they going to do about it?

2 Likes

That’s straight out of an episode of Utopia.

2 Likes

Some of these pictures of before and after are incredible

3 Likes

Checked this morning, the guy on Twitter is now @I_am_da_BOM

Plibersek: “The rebrand commenced under the previous government for reasons I don’t quite understand.”

Simple, someone in the LNP has a buddy who works for the branding agency that was hired.

2 Likes

Not looking forward to next Wednesday in Yeppoon (BOM Meteye ) , it’s the high dew points and light winds with forecast sunny with no clouds too . Also the feels like temp of nearly 30 deg so early in the morning.

I hope the NE breeze is nice and strong to move the air around in the afternoon.

I don’t mind this weather but it is more like January with these dew points than late October … October is usually 26 deg days with a dew point of around 18-19 deg.

When it is a dew point of 24 plus deg for 2 weeks and hardly any wind then that is when it gets annoying but that is extreme for here .

1 Like

I think you mean, “The Bureau Meteye” :wink: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Da Bomb?

1 Like

The Bureau of Meteorology has backtracked on its request to no longer be referred to as “the BoM”, admitting Australians can call the agency whatever they like after a public rebuke from the environment minister.

4 Likes

Da Rain Bomb, they could brand their forecasts since they’ve been giving us a lot of these lately.

2 Likes

Brisbane City Council has sent out Severe Weather Advice text messages this afternoon to residents of the LGA.

Is that why its warmer up on north qld the past 2 months is it because theirbsea surface temps are higher than normal

I checked yeppoon a few weeks ago there was ac1 deg anomaly slightly cooler…not sure if this is the same now.

Humidity hasnt felt as bad with light winds here but cant tell if that is because its october not february and sun is at a different angle.

Yeah, the hot SSTs off northern WA and the NT seem to lead to a more torrid build up in the north. Stronger and earlier heating of the landmass thanks to AGW also plays a role. The build ups in Darwin have been horrendous the last few years by all accounts.

Some heat records in the north over the last few days: Darwin with a min of 29C which has never been achieved in October before, and I think Townsville got a minimum record as well.

1 Like

Wasn’t that long ago Darwin had that "cold/cool " snap .

Humidity here in Yeppoon is not that bad. It does seem to creep up a bit with the storms we had then it drops right down. Dew point a bit up and down but at least it isn’t constantly over 24 deg for days like further north:

On the 25th of October the dew point hit 24.5 deg but it seems to be going up and down quite a bit it dropped as low as 14 deg a little over 24 hrs later .Now seems to be in the high teens .

Seems to feel muggy then dry …then muggy again then dry lol

Something to do with the low moving south i think .

The average dew point in October here at 9am to 3pm is around 17-18 deg anyway .

The BOM says a cooler than median november to at least january in central queensland yet the sst’s are about average looking at that not cooler ?

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s good that its not consistently humid (yet anyway) …When would you say is the most uncomfortable time of the year normally is in Yeppoon as far as the heat/humidity/dew point is concerned… would it be Jan-Feb or does it peak before then?