Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Yeah it is good. My house isn’t flooded yet but I know that some people aren’t leaving their houses due to the water blocking them out. I have sent images of floods to WIN News Bendigo/Nine News Melbourne, and the former has gotten back to me.

Looks like it is worse for you though. Bendigo only had 40mm of rain overnight but you had double that. Surprised the media didn’t mention that, only heard that Tassie was going to flood because of you.

2 Likes

The corner of sturt and glllies st here in ballarat is flooded

Update: More rain has come. The rivers on both sides of the highway are nearly up to the bridges in Kangaroo Flat. Also a crossing between the Gurri Wanyarra pool and a hill has water going through, which means nobody can cross. At my local high school, all the people who catched the bus had to go home at 11:30am, and multiple people went home. I heard some classes only had 2 kids left. Half the school left around that time, with 20 kids leaving in 20 minutes.

In Bendigo, since 12am Wednesday there have been 95mm of rain, almost to the 100mm the Bureau has expected and double of Ballarat with 48mm. At this rate I think we could see 110mm by 12am. Mum said this is the worst she has seen since moving house in 2009.

Evaluation orders are now in place for a number of towns in Tasmania and Victoria.

1 Like

Best place to find out if you or someone you know might be affected:

Was working in Latrobe tonight and it was so weird. Some people were all going about as normal, others trying to pretend nothing was happening, some anxious because their houses are on the edge of where the damage will go and others who already know what their fate will be, they just don’t know how much.
I was working at the pub across the road from the Memorial Hall which is where the evacuation centre is and there were just so many lights all evening from the SES, Tas Fire Service and Tas Police as they were cruising the streets helping people evacuate. It was good to see the organisation of everything but also so surreal and heartbreaking.

From what I heard based on all the numbers that have been happening, they’re expecting a peak at Latrobe around 9am tomorrow and it’s expected to be equal or slightly higher than the 2016 flood levels.

There was a video earlier of Wings Wildlife Park where that has been completely underwater, many animals survived however they expect some won’t have made it but it certainly sounds like stock losses won’t be anywhere near as bad as last time which is good as the farmers had warning this time - I never thought I would say this but I’m pleased to say I’ve seen no cows floating down the Mersey River again. It was not a pleasant sight last time.

The Port of Devonport is currently closed for a couple of days which has resulted in at least 4 Spirit of Tasmania sailings being cancelled and one of the ferries is currently off the coast in Bass Strait waiting things out and if things subside enough it may dock in Burnie instead depending on how long the port is closed for.

My weather station stopped recording rain from about 7am to 3pm but managed to record 70mm the rest of the time since midnight and I’d imagine there was probably another 50mm that fell that wasn’t recorded so - 120mm in suburban Devonport.

Lots of power outages and several evacuation orders tonight and more to come. I’m a bit nervous about what we’ll be waking up to in the morning in the region.

3 Likes
1 Like

I live around this area and It’s just amazing on a daily basis you drive on these roads, walk along the Maribyrnong River or visit Anglers Tavern and you’d never imagine it’ll be like this.

So close to home.

2 Likes

Same… often run around the river. Incredible to see what’s happening.

Didn’t know a few of us lived around here!

Its quite surreal.

4 Likes

What a mess… traffic is a nightmare around neighbouring suburbs. Buckley Street is gridlocked.

1 Like

Buckley St was a nightmare an hour ago. Better get used to it for the next week or so until the clean up is over :sob:

1 Like

Since there seems to be very little coverage of the Tasmanian situation I’ll give an update. Here in the North-West things are looking pretty good now. The Mersey River is still high - flowing about 2.5m now I think at the Latrobe bridge when it’s normally around the 1m mark. It peaked on Friday morning at 4.5m which was just below the 4.6m from 2016 which was good but still did a lot of damage.

Lots of roads impacted around the place and several friends of mine have been directly impacted with the floodwaters flowing through their houses from only a couple of cms for some to a couple of feet for others.

Great Lake received about 400mm of rain over the 48 hours and Sheffield received over 200mm and lots of other high totals.

While the risk has eased here, further East things are still bad. Deloraine had worse flooding than 2016 and is still quite a bit underwater and it’s going to be a few days for everything to go through Launceston too where there’s a few rivers that all merge and run out through the Cataract Gorge.

I’m not sure if the Devonport port has reopened yet but I think I saw a post before that the Spirit of Tasmania from here had actually sailed to the new port in Geelong.

As well as damaged roads, there was a big landslide near Poatina which actually took out a couple of HV transmission towers causing some big power outages but they were bypassed but will take a while to repair due to access issues.

Here’s a few pics of things.
Latrobe - not sure at which point this one was taken but last time the floods reached just near the yellow building in the bottom right corner.

The road between Latrobe and Railton has several areas like this:

Deloraine:
There’s a train and playground somewhere under here. The yellow thing near the tree is the top of it.

Launceston - a couple of before and after comparisons of the Gorge. Note also the lack of the swimming pool at the basin and the grass, it’s all completely underwater - so either lack of a swimming pool or a massive extension.

Normal:

Now: Duck River bridge being closed earlier today as it will likely go under at some point in the next few days.

6 Likes

Just on another note, one of the big recommendations from the 2016 floods was setting up a dedicated emergency response room and I think this was the first time that was used in this event and while it was in Hobart it had members of all the agencies, TasPol, SES, TFS, Ambulance(?) and the BoM all working together and co-ordinating the state operations and from all the reports this has been a massive success and meant the responses were hugely better than in previous events.

4 Likes

That road has been rip 'n teared.

2 Likes

Like the Victorian one?

Sadly won’t be fixed for 4 or 5 months probably.

1 Like

Do cars travel down that road often?

1 Like

Yep, I’d imagine so. I think there’s a few states with them now. Certainly sounds like it’s been a success which has been good.

Not a major highway but still an important road. There’s ways around it but they will add about an extra 20 minutes to the journey. This one does run alongside the river for much of it which is why it copped it in several places. It probably takes several hundred cars a day.

3 Likes

1 Like