Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Heavy fog in Brisbane this morning - all flights diverted, many to Coolangatta.

Traffic helicopter

5 Likes
1 Like

Apparently there is a La Niña ALERT system

Issued today:

La Niña ALERT—chance of La Niña increases

The Bureau’s ENSO Outlook has been raised to La Niña ALERT. This is due to both renewed cooling in the tropical Pacific Ocean as well as climate models indicating La Niña is likely during the austral spring and early summer. Historically, when La Niña ALERT criteria have been met, La Niña has subsequently developed around 70% of the time; this is approximately triple the normal likelihood. La Niña events increase the chances of above-average rainfall for northern and eastern Australia during spring and summer.

2 Likes

Another wet summer on the way then.

An alert for something that “increase the chances” - oh boy, batten down the hatches.

We had the driest summer in 120 years with humidity that was insane (clear skies no wind ) so felt 10x worse like I was in Singapore.

Mackay and Yeppoon still below average year to date rainfall.

1 Like

Its funny, since I stopped working in mid July, the weather here in NSW has been much drier and sunnier, so i think I should stay not working!

I often find that the wettest days are on my days off work

1 Like

So you should keep working then! :grin:

1 Like

I moved to Bungendore in March 2020, just after the Black Summer fires. It’s been wetter than average ever since. I think I must share some DNA with the Indian cricket team…

1 Like

The new fire danger rating system features four levels instead of six.

5 Likes

So if there’s pouring rain and/or a flood, it’s still moderate… hmmmm…

1 Like

Certainly makes it easier to understand, simplifying is always good in emergencies.

Only thing I’d change is keep Catastrophic as the red and black diagonal caution tape stripes to keep things visually familiar with the old system. Easier to associate the top level of danger between old and new.

1 Like

I agree, I also feel like the extreme one could be red then because “EXTREME” sounds like the top tier of a warning system but orange is associated with high extremes. It’s just a bit odd having three “high” levels and “high” meaning a relatively low compared to the others.

The consistency is good too - similar will roll out for floods and other emergencies soon

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Snowing in the Blue Mountains tonight.

4 Likes

I did some reading about this new rating as I thought the same.
But, there’s a little white strip underneath the “Moderate”, which is apparently called “No Rating”, which will be used during rain, floods, etc., etc. Basically anytime there’s not enough risk to be considered Moderate.

2 Likes