Classification

Government changes the rules to allow M at 7.30pm (which I assume was pushed by the networks) and then go and pull this shit. I don’t get it.

1 Like

No, “films” must still follow the old rules.

“M” not before 8:30pm & “MA15+” not before 9pm.

:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I forgot about that.

Probably been discussed before but why are M films excluded from airing at 7.30pm?

1 Like

I would guess most content on TV, is TV shows, which are produced to a broadcast standard (i.e.) not NC-17 / R18+.

Whereas movies are purposefully made with stronger content.

Just a safeguard.

If that makes sense?

1 Like

Tonight’s ep of Murder Uncovered on Ch 7 is the first not to carry an MA15+ classification (but rather M with language, violence, drugs).

I’d say because all the other episodes contained graphic themes (seriel killers/peadophiles/child abusers) and stronger violencd.

Tonight is about Melbourne’s infamous ‘gangland war’ from the 90s/2000s.

Interesting that the sport programs (at least on Seven) without a classification (represented as “E” or “–”), have the watermark “Live & Free | 7Mate” (e.g.) Talking Footy tonight.

Yet the sport programs with a classification (such as AFL Game Day) carry the “Live | 7” watermark (without the “FREE”).

Also, during Talking Footy’s “Say That Again” segment, an obvious reference to sex was shown, with a call from Bruce McAvaney on Friday night saying “he’s taking it up the front” [with the panelists laughing].

Is such content allowed in “E” (exempt from classification) programs? @JohnsonTV

The Broadcasting Services Act states that films classified M must be shown after 8:30pm. The M rules for programs other than films are not specified in the legislation, they are covered under a code of practice so the networks were able to have it changed.

1 Like

I don’t know what that means

4 Likes

Neither do I tbh.

I used my imagination.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve just recently gotten Foxtel, and one of the first things I’ve noticed is that classifications of programs seems to be much more extreme than on FTA.

For example,
The Big Bang Theory is rated PG on FTA on nearly all episodes, but Foxtel seems to classify all episodes (that I’ve seen so far) as M. I’ve seen these same episodes on FTA classified as PG.

There certainly doesn’t appear to have been anything that I’d consider M in any of the episodes I’ve watched recently.

Another example,
Police Ten 7 was rated MA15+ when I watched it. Swearing was blanked out, etc. and having watched the episode I would say it was barely an M.

What is the reason for Foxtel classifying programmes higher than FTA?

1 Like

They haven’t had time to review the eps so just take the cautious route and mark up the classification? :thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve never understood Foxtel’s classification/editing.

Much worse and less thorough than FTA, so different :confused:

Much of the time a generalised classification with “may contain” or most consumer advice is listed.

So like Television AU said, they don’t have the time or maybe they’re more slack?

1 Like

That partly explains why all programs on Fox Footy channel (live and pre-recorded) are rated PG.

3 Likes

That’s a question, not a note.

5 Likes

The C-Word? Classification?

5 Likes

I just think being 2017 we’ve moved beyond ‘taboo’ a bit now, yet if any program on television even has one muffled use of the word, it’s slapped with MA15+.

The Simpsons at 8pm on ELEVEN tonight (“Weekend at Burnsie’s”, Season 13, 2002) was classified “M” with “Drug Use” (sceeenshot from eBroascast below).

Interesting that Ten classified it with that, because the Australian Classification Board only classified it as “PG” in June 2010 (screenshot from their website below).

Thoughts?

I’d imagine this episode for broadcast would have been classified by Ten around 15 years ago, with the Code of Practice having changed since then.

But I know from watching TV over the years, that “drug use” (as opposed to “drug references”) has never been allowed by any network at the PG level

(e.g.)
Ten edited Otto smoking acid in “The Simpsons Movie” when broadcast.

Note:
The episode in question dealt with the use og medicinal marijuana and was controversial at the time of release in the US, despite being met with strong ratings and positive reviews.

I can vaguely remember reading about that episode being bumped to a later slot when it originally aired.

@Bort

1 Like

BTW, Luke please promise me you will never ‘smoke’ acid.

6 Likes