Classification

Why would you watch the channel 9 edited version if you have access to the unedited version? You’ve got too much time on your hands. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I hadn’t seen it before and it just happened to be on.

I viewed that uncut scene via YouTube.

1 Like

How’d you manage to outsmart the “please enter your birthdate” checkpoint and view such smut?

12 Likes

Someone’s not a fan of Demi Moore then… :confused:

You’ve got me there.

4 Likes

I noticed 7Mate are airing an edited (M) version of “Resident Evil - Apocalypse” tonight.

Why wouldn’t they just air the uncut version, as it’s at 9pm?

It’s what got Ten unnecessarily into trouble a few years ago with Tropic Thunder?

1 Like

SBS are airing the 2013 film “Blue Is The Warmest Colour” at 11:15pm tonight.

According to The Age Green Guide review it will be uncut because (quote) “that’s the point of SBS broadcasting films late at night”.

I’ve never seen the film, but I have heard how controversial it was due to the graphic sex. It was given an R18+ classification in Australia & the rare NC-17 in the US.

I find it very unlikely that SBS won’t edit it.

UPDATE:

SBS heavily edited it… They butchered it.

1 Like

Quite interesting…

“The Wolf Of Wall Street” is airing again, this time on 9Go! on Sunday night.

I found out that the version (same as Foxtel’s broadcast too) is an edited version by director Martin Scorsese and the studio.

They digitally edites multiple scenes, by adding figures/objects & using alternate footage (like what happened with “Eyes Wide Shut”).

It’s also why there was a special message at the beginning of this version.

Nine also further edited this version by blurring some genital nudity & cutting some other shots/scenes.

So it’s possibly one of the most heavily edites movies on FTA :+1:

3 Likes

Something I picked-up on with Foxtel.

The film “Once Upon A Time In America” (1984) was broadcast last night on ONE & coincidently enough again tonight on Foxtel Movies.

Both Ten & Foxtel had to edit it from R18+ to MA15+.

•ONE had: “strong violence, sex scenes”.

•Foxtel Movies - Masterpieces had: “violence, coarse language, sex scenes, sexual references, drug use, nudity”.

Why did Foxtel need to mention all that consumer advice, at the MA15+ level (strong)?

The coarse language, drug use, nudity and themes were all at the M level (moderate) & I’ve seen the film and confirm it.

Sounds like they used one of Foxtel’s generic classification boards. They do have ones where they just claim all the consumer advice by default, and they’re often used on channels that don’t usually classify programs - I noticed a similar, M-rated, classification board at the start of last night’s Late Night with Matty Johns on Fox League, as another example. Music channels might be ripe for them too, in the rare instance they show something not exempt from classification.

Sounds odd for them to use a generic board on a movie channel, though.

The “claim everything” method of consumer advice has a precedent - I recall The Comedy Channel used the same concept (although their own board rather than a Foxtel generic) way back in the earlier days of Foxtel, when they didn’t classify individual programs and instead considered the channel MA15+ all day.

3 Likes

Seven butchered the film “Rambo” (2008) on Friday night.

I get that it had to be cut, because it’s rated R18+ high level violence & the did (lots of small edits and one scene had a part completely removed).

But a few scenes in the film, had unnecessary edits, like they were completely out of place from the original/uncut!? Like they moved one scene to a few minutes later than where it should be, transitioning it from/into another scene. Another couple of scenes had what looked like alternate frames/footage.

Hope that made sense? Does this happen often?

Dating Naked on ELEVEN has been classified “MA15+” for tonight’s episode with “Strong Coarse Language” (AKA “Very Coarse Language”).

At least one use of the ‘C-Word’ is being used.

I believe this is the first time the show has been deemed absolutely not suitable for children.

Note:
Why is the C-Word always heavily taboo? Like why has it gathered public perception as being the most coarse single word? Hence ACMA/networks are overly careful when it’s used. I think some derivatives of the F-Word are worse!

According to online guides, tonight’s AFL pre-season doubleheader on Fox Footy is rated PG. Previously live matches are never classified. Any reason for the change?

1 Like

See these(Language warning ofc)

1 Like

They’re incorrect quite often.

(e.g.) eBroadcast’s online guide seems to remember classifications from a movie (for example) that has aired before, so when it airs on another network, it puts the old classification up & it’s completely incorrect.

Use the EPG (the coded classifications are always correct) :+1:

Or check when the program is broadcast, what the on-screen classification warning/icon is.

Seven West Media found not in breach of the Code of Practice by the ACMA, after an investigation was launched into a broadcast of the movie “Hannibal” :clapper:

The report (I had a look and it’s ridiculously long and thorough) is available on their website:
http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/ACMAi/Investigation-reports/Television-investigations/2017-television-investigations

Note:
Coincidently I actually mentioned this film a few months ago on MediaSpy, not sure if it was the same broadcast, but others obviously wanted to get answers. In this case it sounds like a guardian of a child that complained, by the looks of one of the appendices.

So, I picked up two main issues raised during the investigation report (there were probably more though):

•Seven’s classification officers apparently requested and read both the Classification Board & Classification Review Board reports for the film (MA & R) from 2001, despite the latter being the current one, although apparently not with another MA rating given to a Blu-Ray release eight years later.

ACMA noted it was clearly a challenge in determining what is considered to be “high in impact” now, compared to back then, with community attitudes, policies and guidelines changing. They noted that the “Broadcast Standards Act” requires modification of R content for television.

Seven also noted that two scenes had been cut. So clearly Seven took the view that some scenes were either indeed R worthy or simply couldn’t be accomodated into the code.

•The other issue and probably main issue, was Seven acknowledging they found the film “thematically challenging” to classify.

Due to having crucial scenes in the narrative but that still posed the most classificable content.

Example: The famous dinner scene near the end, it is arguably the most violent scene, but Seven confirmed they left it unedited as it was vital to the plot (among other justification for doing so). The complainant I gathered was most concerned with this scene.

Interestingly, the ACMA took a different view, saying this scene came under “themes” rather than “violence”, as it was linked to the horror, his cannibalism and being a seriel killer. They also believed the scene was more a “medical procedure” than violence (which I found odd).

To be honest, I found this report very eye-opening and interesting to read. Adding together the ACMA’s responses, Seven’s responses, the complainant’s responses and other sources, it’s almost an essay!

If anybody else gets time to sift through it, I’d be keen on your take?

2 Likes

I suspected Seven just played a version they had already cut years before, and I still think that. They can probably now play the movie uncut based on ACMA’s findings, and that it is actually rated MA 15+ anyway.

2 Likes

But this is from Foxtel’s own online guide. I check it this morning and find every program on Fox Footy now rated PG. Very unusual.

Expecting coarse language. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It appears Seven’s classification department has reviewed & re-classified all the Highway Patrol eps.

Because the regular repeats on 7mate, now have consumer advice provided next to the PG classification, they never use to (or maybe up until now Seven just chose not to provide it on air).

Each ep also has a special board with John Deeks V/O saying Victoria Police legislation has changed since this ep was produced.

1 Like