Classification

Whoops :pensive:

(I should have also probably tagged Mr. Simpsons AKA @Sifon or @JBar - I know one of them loves the show).

Party pooper.
Smoking acid, injecting marijuana and Smoking Pingers are the best thing ever /s

@LukeMovieMan did you intentionally post this on April 20?

5 Likes

No you shouldn’t have because I only care if they are showing a new episode that I need to record. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

4 Likes

Correct. I want to say 9.30 Monday billed as Adults Only Simpsons. From memory they either paired it with “Natural Born Kissers” from Season 9, or that aired in the same slot the following week.

I think they aired a few other episodes in the late slot, but every episode bar Weekend at Burnsie’s was rated PG. I don’t recall any other episodes being rated M, though I did stop paying attention about 13 seasons ago.

4 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

Don’t be a tease!

3 Likes

Don’t make me post the meme again.

2 Likes

Wow, what a great memory!

–

It should also be reminded, that every ep (repeat) which aired at 6pm on Ch 10 over th years, had to be edited to “G” (as per the code until a year ago).

Which, judging by the Australian Classification Board classifications for the DVD releases, was every ep post Season 3?

TV Tonight years ago also had an article on TV shows that are frequently edited, that you may not realise, including The Simpsons & The Bold and the Beautiful.

But as I alleuded to, that practise has now gone by the by.

So I wonder if the repeats that air in the various slots on ELEVEN, are still the edited M or PG ones (down to G) from when they aired at 6pm on Ch 10 OR uncut?

But I think I have seen a number of old eps with a PG classification, so probably the latter.

No I think we were all aware that both shows were subject to editing, not just for timeslot restraints but it doesn’t hurt (them) to have the capacity to slip in another ad or two.

3 Likes

Except for that time that The Bold and the Beautiful had a child kidnapping story and because it was in a G slot they could only air ten minutes of it so they just replayed parts of the previous episode and parts of the next episode. :rolling_eyes:

Haha what!? Do tell more (I may have read about it, but I can’t remember) :thinking:

As far as I know, Ten/Eleven still just play the edited versions. It’s particularly noticeable after you watch the uncut episodes on DVD, but there were also cuts made presumably for time on Ten.

(e.g.) One that comes to mind is Bart’s Inner Child from S5. At the end of the act Patty and Selma’s TV plays up and repeats Brad Goodman saying “chronic nagging” - Ten always cut to the ads before Patty or Selma mentions that it’s a problem with the TV rather than Marge having a moment of realisation. That wasn’t always the case but once that edit was made, it stuck around.

1 Like

It certainly was a long time ago. It involved the kidnapping of Sally Spectra’s son, CJ Garrison when he was a child. This was way after I stopped watching the show, so I don’t know all the details. But I still remembered the characters and was interested in what Channel Ten did because it was covered in magazines and newspapers.

I think the daytime soapies were also pushing the envelope with sex scenes at that time in an effort to boost falling ratings and they had mentioned how many of the scenes in those eps were also being censored in that afternoon G timeslot.

1 Like

Ten never did take up the opportunity to show “uncut” episodes in a more appropriate timeslot… or have they?

They never did. There was talk of moving the show back to an earlier PG timeslot in the afternoon but by that stage Ten was running a few successful chat shows and didn’t want to shift those. They didn’t have a spare timeslot that also didn’t compete with The Young and The Restless and Days of Our Lives, of course.

1 Like

I believe mild coarse language was also removed from B&B.

Put it this way, until the Code changes in December 2015, I never heard the words “pissed off” (or similar) ever?

I had heard “bitch” used (like with Stephanie & Brooke’s infamous encounters), but only when particularly vital to the storyline, otherwise I think they too were removed?

These days with two other channels to fill it’s staggering they can’t employ timeshifting to accommodate “uncut” episodes. I mean how crucial are double up episodes of JAG on Eleven, really??

3 Likes

So this is how it feels like when doves cry.

3 Likes

Next time I have a question about Melbourne, movies, or Masterchef, I’m so not tagging Luke.

3 Likes