Classification

oooo burn

2 Likes

The Australian Government Is Letting Netflix Classify Its Own Shows

Netflix shows could get to Aussies quicker

Communicatons Minister Mitch Fifield announced a new 12-month long pilot scheme to test a new classification tool which the streaming service will use to classify its movies and TV shows.

“The tool speeds up the classification process and removes red tape for Netflix, while ensuring that all Netflix content is classified,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

The terms of some of the members of the Classification Board expire in the middle of next year. When the positions are advertised you should think of applying.

5 Likes

Pretty sure Foxtel can show R18 on any general ent or movie channel with it’s parental lock system in place but chooses not to.

4 Likes

Of all the networks, I’ve always found Ch 9 to be the most harsh when it comes to cutting movies/programs. You can even tell, once that movie ends up on another network & is edited differently. Particularly violence.

Ch 10 seem to just do the basics, what’s absolutely necessary, arguably the best when it comes to classification.

Ch 7 may have the best classification advisories, but they’re also not flash when it comes to editing.

(e.g.) If there’s strong sexual references in a sentence, they’ll just edit out the strong words/actions/frames but whilst keeping the rest of the sentence. Rather than just cutting the entire scene. So it makes it look so bad, clearly edited!

I haven’t seen too much M rated stuff shown at 7.30, but don’t really go looking forward, just if I notice it. Was slightly surprised then tonight at First Dates UK including the F word at 8pm. I know it is allowed, just a surprise. A little like when I was younger and Four Weddings And A Funeral was first aired on TV and there was some kind of warning before hand because the first 10 or so lines in the movie are the F word.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean, hearing the ‘F-word’ in the early evening, it does sound stronger and weird.

–

I was reading a very interesting article over the weekend, I think it was in one of the lift outs from The Australian, talking about content regulations on Australian TV and how they’ve changed over time.

Ms. Sally Stockbridge (network head of classification, Regulatory Affairs, Ten Network Holdings) said in her 20 years at the network, she has seen so much relaxation in the rules surrounding what is right and what is wrong during a certain timeslot. She also commented on hoe many elements of content are more acceptable today than they were many years ago. She said even though there are television settings available to restrict viewing, she still believes regulating the content on free-to-air television is important, particularly in protecting minors and younger children that would be very disturbed or confused at certain content. The article I read also mentioned the Commercial Television Code of Practice was updated a year ago, which allowes MA15+ and M classified programs to air at earlier time slots, however this does not include feature films.

I’m trying to find a link to the full story.

NB/
Sally is not the only veteran in her field, the Nine Network’s “chief classifier” Richard Lyle has been with the network for more than three and a half decades.

Lyle and Stockbridge are truly stalwarts.

2 Likes

Excuse you.

6 Likes

There’s also Mr. Adrian Carneluti (Network Head of Classification, Corporate & Regulatory Affairs, Seven West Media)…

In 1993 Nine for the first time put a microphone in the Queensland team huddle just before kick off in the State of Origin, and it clearly picked up captain Mal Meninga’s pep talk that included liberal use of the F and C words, just before 8:00pm. Very entertaining television, I recall.

It was a live unclassified program so Nine had done nothing wrong.

SMH news story at time:
http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=nstore&kw=Mal+Meninga+and+swearing&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=entire&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=20&rm=200&sp=nrm&clsPage=1&docID=news930511_0086_5213

2 Likes

The Imparja/Southern Cross Austereo owned One in central Australia is currently showing M programs from 7:00pm CST, and MA15+ programs from 7:30pm CST. I’m guessing they’ve been doing this for a while now. This Thursday on yourtv.com.au:

That would be OK because it is for a remote area licensee with a licence area that falls in more than one time zone.

2 Likes

1996 MA classification

3 Likes
  1. What is “SAN”?

2. Anyone know what that program is?

Just a wild guess

Sexual References
Adult Themes
Nudity

5 Likes

Oh of course, consumer advice, my bad.

Ch 9 are airing a movie called “Disclosure” tonight.

It’s classified “R18+ medium level coarse language, adult themes”.

As it’s R18+, how do Ch 9 even edit a movie like that? You can’t edit adult themes and coarse language hasn’t been used at R18+ level since the Australian Classification system updated in 2005.

(i.e.) The film would probably get an MA15+ classification if it were re-classified today.

Nevertheless, it still must be edited. So they’ll probably just edit a sex scene or something.

Like “Fight Club” (which ONE broadcast). It’s R18+ with “high impact adult themes”. But they just edited a few ‘violence’ scenes instead.

Nine has shown Disclosure numerous times before, so they’ll probably put on whatever version they already have.

4 Likes

The film was edited by Ch 9. They removed a few frames from the passionate scene between Michael Douglas & Demi Moore. Bringing the classification down to MA15+.

But still, looking at the unedited version of that scene, I don’t think it looked R18+ at all.

Ch 9 obviously just looked for the highest impact content in the film to edit, so they didn’t breach the code (i.e.) all R18+ programs must be modified.