Classification

Very true.

1 Like

Update

Just checked, nup, Seven cut Vacation’s end credits (which included a photo of a penis and a song with non-stop “mother fu*ker” expletive).

So what was the “Some Coarse Language & Some Nudity” at the MA-level for?

I’d say Seven’s classification team viewed the untouched copy and classified it as such, before Seven’s broadcast team removed the credits?

Last scene jumped to this:

I’m just watching “Vacation” on 7Flix QLD now, and there were clearly multiple breasts shown in full just now… I’m sure that’s the “Nudity” component.
One of the characters just said “go fuck yourself”, so I’m sure that’s the coarse language part.

5 Likes

They’re absolutely not at the MA-level (strong in impact) though.

That’s M-level.

“Fu*k” and breasts can be used / seen a number of times at M.

(The aforementioned MA-level consumer advice, would be for the components in the end credits that I mentioned - which are indeed at the MA-level).

The Good Doctor being encored on Ch 7 at midday this week.

Cut to “PG” with Medical Producers (down from “M”).

The operating scenes I believe have been edited.

Due to school holidays.

1 Like

I’m sorry, not sure why you would expect Ten, who lost the show months ago, to help a commercial rival over classification??

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I believe Seven, Nine & Ten’s classification departments do consult from time to time though. Particularly about comprehension of the code, etc. So there’s relatively even understanding across the board.

Nine’s chief classifier Richard Lyle has an organisation “Media Classifiers Australia” or something.

From an industry perspective for lobbying governing organisations, sure. I’d be stunned if that extended to individual shows.

1 Like

“The Boy Next Door” (2015) is classified “MA15+” uncut. It is scheduled for Perth at 8:30pm local time. MA films can only be broadcast from 9pm. Hence Seven had to cut to “M”. Other markets have it scheduled well after 9pm, should remain given another tennis match on now. You live in WA don’t you? Check your EPG for the movie, it should say “M”. Whereas my EPG says “MA15+”.

Yep looks like it.

Untitled-3

Untitled-2

2 Likes

Spoke to my bud who runs the YouTube channel “Australia TV & Movie Censorship”.

He already had Seven’s cut (M) version recorded, they:

•Completely removed the first sex scene.
•Edited out most of the second sex scene.
•Removed the ‘C word’.
•Edited out most of the shots with a needle in a man’s eye and an eye gouge, during the final fight scene.

continuing in appropriate thread

Films, no. Any other programming, yes.

Not sure why people are finding this difficult to understand. However if you genuinely weren’t aware of this clause in the Code, then my apologies.

ACMA is the federal government statutory organisation, acting as the ‘watchdog’ for communications and media (broadcasting, radio, et al.) So not sure why you think there was a specific stipulation for South Australia anyway?

2 Likes

But can commercial broadcasters be allowed to air MA15+ at 8:30pm? I know that abc and SBS has done since 2014.

1 Like

…is what I am referring to only (not ABC and SBS).

Code being the “Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice”.

:+1:

I feel like this has been discussed here before, but why would this be the case?

2 Likes

Yes, I’d also be rather interested to know why movies are still running under the old classification rules even after things have been relaxed for other programing.

1 Like

Certainly not in Adelaide and regional SA as you state, but remote SA and remote NT yes where MA movies can be shown earlier than 9:00pm if they are scheduled at 9:00pm in the primary time zone of the licence, which Imparja and SCA has determined is Queensland time. iirc.

2 Likes

Obviously that’s different.

1 Like

Something I’ve been meaning to bring up for while.

Nine for some reason broadcast many films cut after 9pm, even though they don’t have to. It is a trend that only they seem to do, over many many years.

It seems to only occur with their old copies, from their Warner Bros titles, probably dated back to the 1990s.

I just watched “The Gauntlet” (1977) with Clint Eastwood on 9Gem from Saturday night. Broadcast as “M”, when it should’ve been “MA15+”!?

Other examples include “Just Cause” (1995), “The Shawshank Redemption” and “Goodfellas”, “Hard To Kill”, “The Enforcer” & “Dirty Harry”, “Mad Max 2”, “Cobra”, “Lethal Weapon 4”, “The Last Boy Scout”, “Eraser”, “Payback”, “Three Kings” (among many others).

I think these copies are also from the time (no later than early 2000s), when MA15+ (cut from R18+) would remove most ‘F words’, as in they used to completely butcher it. But that hasn’t been the case for around 15 years now, in line with newer approaches by the Classification Board.

Hence, I wonder if it’s because these versions became the master copies, I’d say so? Nine should contact Warner Bros International Television and get new copies, if they still have rights to such tities in this aforementioned situation.

I am hoping members like @Zampakid and @SydneyCityTV who would’ve seen these movies air frequently over the years, know what I’m getting at.

It is not good to edit movies unnecessarily, especially for loyal fans of certain titles and if they DVR it.

Only example from another network, where they never air the uncut version for some reason, is “American Pie 2” (Seven), always the cut “M” version.