Classification

Seven West Media found not in breach of the Code of Practice by the ACMA, after an investigation was launched into a broadcast of the movie “Hannibal” :clapper:

The report (I had a look and it’s ridiculously long and thorough) is available on their website:
http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/ACMAi/Investigation-reports/Television-investigations/2017-television-investigations

Note:
Coincidently I actually mentioned this film a few months ago on MediaSpy, not sure if it was the same broadcast, but others obviously wanted to get answers. In this case it sounds like a guardian of a child that complained, by the looks of one of the appendices.

So, I picked up two main issues raised during the investigation report (there were probably more though):

•Seven’s classification officers apparently requested and read both the Classification Board & Classification Review Board reports for the film (MA & R) from 2001, despite the latter being the current one, although apparently not with another MA rating given to a Blu-Ray release eight years later.

ACMA noted it was clearly a challenge in determining what is considered to be “high in impact” now, compared to back then, with community attitudes, policies and guidelines changing. They noted that the “Broadcast Standards Act” requires modification of R content for television.

Seven also noted that two scenes had been cut. So clearly Seven took the view that some scenes were either indeed R worthy or simply couldn’t be accomodated into the code.

•The other issue and probably main issue, was Seven acknowledging they found the film “thematically challenging” to classify.

Due to having crucial scenes in the narrative but that still posed the most classificable content.

Example: The famous dinner scene near the end, it is arguably the most violent scene, but Seven confirmed they left it unedited as it was vital to the plot (among other justification for doing so). The complainant I gathered was most concerned with this scene.

Interestingly, the ACMA took a different view, saying this scene came under “themes” rather than “violence”, as it was linked to the horror, his cannibalism and being a seriel killer. They also believed the scene was more a “medical procedure” than violence (which I found odd).

To be honest, I found this report very eye-opening and interesting to read. Adding together the ACMA’s responses, Seven’s responses, the complainant’s responses and other sources, it’s almost an essay!

If anybody else gets time to sift through it, I’d be keen on your take?

2 Likes

I suspected Seven just played a version they had already cut years before, and I still think that. They can probably now play the movie uncut based on ACMA’s findings, and that it is actually rated MA 15+ anyway.

2 Likes

But this is from Foxtel’s own online guide. I check it this morning and find every program on Fox Footy now rated PG. Very unusual.

Expecting coarse language. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It appears Seven’s classification department has reviewed & re-classified all the Highway Patrol eps.

Because the regular repeats on 7mate, now have consumer advice provided next to the PG classification, they never use to (or maybe up until now Seven just chose not to provide it on air).

Each ep also has a special board with John Deeks V/O saying Victoria Police legislation has changed since this ep was produced.

1 Like

Government changes the rules to allow M at 7.30pm (which I assume was pushed by the networks) and then go and pull this shit. I don’t get it.

1 Like

No, “films” must still follow the old rules.

“M” not before 8:30pm & “MA15+” not before 9pm.

:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I forgot about that.

Probably been discussed before but why are M films excluded from airing at 7.30pm?

1 Like

I would guess most content on TV, is TV shows, which are produced to a broadcast standard (i.e.) not NC-17 / R18+.

Whereas movies are purposefully made with stronger content.

Just a safeguard.

If that makes sense?

1 Like

Tonight’s ep of Murder Uncovered on Ch 7 is the first not to carry an MA15+ classification (but rather M with language, violence, drugs).

I’d say because all the other episodes contained graphic themes (seriel killers/peadophiles/child abusers) and stronger violencd.

Tonight is about Melbourne’s infamous ‘gangland war’ from the 90s/2000s.

Interesting that the sport programs (at least on Seven) without a classification (represented as “E” or “–”), have the watermark “Live & Free | 7Mate” (e.g.) Talking Footy tonight.

Yet the sport programs with a classification (such as AFL Game Day) carry the “Live | 7” watermark (without the “FREE”).

Also, during Talking Footy’s “Say That Again” segment, an obvious reference to sex was shown, with a call from Bruce McAvaney on Friday night saying “he’s taking it up the front” [with the panelists laughing].

Is such content allowed in “E” (exempt from classification) programs? @JohnsonTV

The Broadcasting Services Act states that films classified M must be shown after 8:30pm. The M rules for programs other than films are not specified in the legislation, they are covered under a code of practice so the networks were able to have it changed.

1 Like

I don’t know what that means

4 Likes

Neither do I tbh.

I used my imagination.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve just recently gotten Foxtel, and one of the first things I’ve noticed is that classifications of programs seems to be much more extreme than on FTA.

For example,
The Big Bang Theory is rated PG on FTA on nearly all episodes, but Foxtel seems to classify all episodes (that I’ve seen so far) as M. I’ve seen these same episodes on FTA classified as PG.

There certainly doesn’t appear to have been anything that I’d consider M in any of the episodes I’ve watched recently.

Another example,
Police Ten 7 was rated MA15+ when I watched it. Swearing was blanked out, etc. and having watched the episode I would say it was barely an M.

What is the reason for Foxtel classifying programmes higher than FTA?

1 Like

They haven’t had time to review the eps so just take the cautious route and mark up the classification? :thinking:

4 Likes

I’ve never understood Foxtel’s classification/editing.

Much worse and less thorough than FTA, so different :confused:

Much of the time a generalised classification with “may contain” or most consumer advice is listed.

So like Television AU said, they don’t have the time or maybe they’re more slack?

1 Like

That partly explains why all programs on Fox Footy channel (live and pre-recorded) are rated PG.

3 Likes

That’s a question, not a note.

5 Likes