Classic TV Listings

TCN

1 Like

Today’s TV: 9 September 2004, Perth
Source: The West Australian

4 Likes

I remember Jules talking about the Pamplona trip on 20 to 1 i think.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 10 September 2004, Perth
SOurce: The West Australian

An extremely heavy sports load on WIN with AFL Semi Final (Saints-Swans), NRL Qualifying Final (Panthers-Dragons) and US Open. While over on Nine Perth, they had full live coverage of the US Open Tennis. I wonder whether Nine Perth had the NRL game on a Saturday morning?

4 Likes

Tuesday 11/9/2001 - NSW

sourced from: Sydney Morning Herald (newspapers.com)

5 Likes

Of course we all know that this was the day the world changed forever.

All stations suspended regular programming for a few days (though I think it could’ve been more than that) to provide the latest updates on the 9/11 attacks that broke at around 10:45pm local time.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 11 September 2006, Perth
Source: THe West Australian

The 5th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Channel 7 screened The Path to 9/11, while SBS screened a docu drama movie of the September 11 attacks.

2 Likes

not sure that it was a full week? IIRC, Ten was pretty much back to regular programming, or at least ceased continuous rolling coverage, within 24 hours?

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge I remember the rolling coverage continued for at least a day or two. There was a promo on Seven wherein the voiceover said “Channel Seven suspends all regular programming to bring you every picture and every breaking detail”. That week’s episode of “Blue Heelers”, which was due to air on the Wednesday, would’ve been pushed back by a week.

Not sure about the other stations as 1) I was too young to remember and 2) I went on a pre-planned overseas trip (not to the US, thankfully) four or five days after the attacks.

3 Likes

Fair enough, so not quite “at least a week”?

1 Like

The Blue Heelers promo aired just before they went into the coverage

2 Likes

Yep. Ten returned to normal programming at 6pm.

11 September 2000
Source: SMH

Seven saves the day for breakfast news junkies with the premiere of Olympic Sunrise

8 Likes

Promo can be seen at 6:18

4 Likes

hosted by…

olysunrisenamename

8 Likes

Today’s TV - Sunday, 11 September 2011;
Source: The West Australia, Seven Days liftout

Big sports lineup with 7 airing AFL Elimination Final Carlton vs Essendon and 9 airing a RWC 2011 match between Australia and Italy from North Harbour Stadium in the morning. In primetime, Nine aired the Naudet brothers 9/11 documentary to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the attacks with ABC and SBS airing 9/11-related documentaries too. 7 had coverage from Ground Zero.

SFS was shown at 1:30pm with The Final Story at 2:30pm over on 9. The Rugby League Qualifying Final was shown at 12am after 9/11

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 12 September 2006, Perth
Source: The West Australian

5 Likes

Melbourne TV: Thursday 12 September 1957
from The Age

ABV2
3.30pm Women’s World
4.00 Kindergarten Playtime
4.15 sign-off
5.00 Children’s TV Club
5.30 sign-off
7.00 News (and Weather)
7.20 Ballet de France (featuring Mozart’s music)
7.30 Ellery Queen
8.00 Paragon Playhouse “My Favorite Aunt”
8.30 International Scene
8.45 Club Corner (Motoring Club)
9.15 Ruggiero Ricci (from Melbourne Town Hall)
10.00 sign-off

HSV7
5.15pm Judy Jack
5.45 Mickey Mouse Club
6.30 Texas Rangers
6.55 The Chef Presents
7.00 News (and Weather)
7.15 Shopping Guide
7.30 The Great Gildersleeve
8.00 Australia’s Amateur Hour (with Terry Dear)
8.30 Thursday Night Theatre “Pursuit” (drama)
9.00 Hit Parade
9.30 Beauty Feature
9.40 Late Show (with Bert Newton)
10.40 John Coleman on Football
10.50 News (and Weather)
11.05 sign-off

GTV9
1pm Thursday at One
2.00 test pattern
3.00 sign-off
5.15 Happy Show
6.15 Ramar of the Jungle
6.40 News (includes Professor Browne’s Study)
7.00 Frontier Doctor
7.30 My Little Margie
8.00 Pantomime Quiz
8.30 Susie
9.00 Mystery Theatre “Case of the Marked Man”
9.30 Raising a Husband
10.00 In Melbourne Tonight
10.45 News (and Weather)
11.00 Football Teams
11.10 Epilogue/sign-off

3 Likes

The difference between a test pattern and sign off being just static and a test pattern any reason they’d want to broadcast a test pattern and not nothing or vice versa?

2 Likes

I wonder if ABC was trying to emulate a British TV custom called “toddler’s truce” where they would shut down in the late afternoon/early evening as a brutal signal to kids that TV time was over and it was time for dinner/bed? In the UK it was a custom held by both BBC and ITV until the IBA argued that it was costing the ITV stations valuable advertising revenue, so the “truce” was abandoned in 1957. ‘At 6pm every evening the screen went blank’: the outlandish tale of the UK’s TV blackout | Television | The Guardian

If ABC was indeed trying to instill a “toddler’s truce” here it would have been fairly ineffective as Channels 7 and 9 quite happily kept going with kids shows during that timeslot!

2 Likes

Given the general lack of daytime programming, a test pattern would be useful for antenna installers who would work normal hours being able to verify that television worked - but I’d assume cost would be why they wouldn’t just be on a test pattern most of the time.

With how small the amount of potential viewers would be I’m sure they would be struggling financially early.

3 Likes