Classic TV Listings

12 September 2001
Source: SMH

The day of 9/11. Basically none of the non-news programs on ABC,SBS, Seven or Nine aired. Ten did 9/11 coverage until 6pm. They were the first to return to normal programming which IIRC some people criticised at the time. Ten probably won all the demos that night.

8 Likes

From memory Ten had normal programming at 7.30pm with The Simpsons. Neighbours didn’t air on September 12 so I presume there was news coverage at that time. I do remember they made up for the missed episode that night with a special hour episode of Neighbours on September 14.

https://www.neighboursepisodes.com/index.php?year=2001&episode=3853

And from this YouTube video channel surfing on September 12 it looks like Ten played Ed at 8.30 that night but then at 9.30 they went back to news coverage. The Panel didn’t air that night either.

3 Likes

My memory is not good but i seem to recall Nine ran a one hour news at 6 followed by a one hour ACA. I could be wrong there.

Some tv stations did eventually find a somewhat interested daytime audience for the test pattern, as they would play music which, being on VHF, was FM quality, although in mono, and no doubt superior to regular AM radio. I don’t know if stations were able to monetise that, though. Advertising over a test pattern might have been considered a no-no.

3 Likes

I swear i remember Simpsons airing at 6pm. I was watching at the time. At least in Sydney it did.

Looking at the old tv.aus forums someone posted that Ten returned to normal programming at 7pm (Seinfeld) so maybe my memory is failing

1 Like

I somewhat remember them doing some special 6pm news.

1 Like

By September 12 more attention would have been diverted to the collapse of Ansett than anything additional on what happened in America.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 13 September 2006, Perth
Source: The West Australian

5 Likes

14 September 2000
Source: SMH

NBN showing a different 2pm movie to Nine for some reason. They didn’t do that to any other 2pm movie that week.

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 15 Sep 2000, Perth

Apologies for the blurred text, but The 2000 Summer Olympics got underway in Sydney.

4 Likes

The Opening Ceremony was replayed in full in Perth in primetime after the live broadcast

2 Likes

Today Marks 19 Years since Mum Marisa Tamboro won Cash and Prizes Totalling $568,316 including a Ramada Pelican Waters Apartments on the Sunshine Coast and all the Prizes including the Alfa Romeo Spider V6 Convertible Valued at $79,512, Jewellery from Bevilles Jewellers, Massage Bed from Niagara Therapy, Sony VAIO Laptop Computer, 2 Esky Coolers from Willow, Portable Spa, Outdoor Setting from Hartman Pacific and a Patio Heater from Techinika Domestic Technology.

1 Like

Sale of the Century?

The Price is Right since that would have been 2004

2 Likes

Seven Late News wasn’t shown in Perth. Chariots of Fire immediately followed the encore screening of the Opening Ceremony

1 Like

Today’s TV: 15 September 2006, Perth
Source: THe West Australian

Over on WIN, they broadcasted an AFL Match between the Fremantle Dockers and Melbourne Demons at Subiaco Oval live, while 10 televised the game on a delayed basis. I wondered why Perth viewers showed the game on a delayed basis. As well, I noticed that WIN TV, broadcasted the Temptation at 10pm straight after Late ACA.

4 Likes

That would have been to ‘protect the gate’, and try and boost attendances at the game by not broadcasting it live on TV at the same time (a practice that only ended in 2011). Regional WA being such a huge licence area is probably why they got the game live.

4 Likes

Drumline, Man Seven went all out to compete with the AFL that night didn’t they

Also I remember seeing that Nine Presents: Billy Joel a stupid amount of times back in 2006

Since this is the last time it can be mentioned I want to say that I actually enjoyed watch The Steph Show, Even though I was kind of bummed it meant only 4 nights of The Simpsons at 6 during August/September when it ran. I still have her one album on CD which I got pretty cheap on eBay.

3 Likes

I watched The Steph Show too.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 16 September 2005, Perth

I noticed that there was no NRL match being played on a Friday Night. That night, the Saints took on the Swans in the Preliminary Final at the MCG.

3 Likes

16 September 1996
Source: Sun Herald

40 years of television

3 Likes