Classic TV Listings

Even 10 was fiddling around with their schedules in the 2000s at 6pm

1 Like

I thought that was just for summer, given the Simpsons was airing at 7pm.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 2 February 2010, Perth
Source: The West Australian

2 Likes

Somewhat of a broad and misleading claim given The Simpsons/Neighbours were pretty much cemented in 6-7 for the decade, aside from the occasional summertime tweak.

1 Like

Summer it changes with Sabrina reruns when Neighbours was on a break

IIRC the Ten News/Simpsons/Neighbours schedule at 5/6/6:30 started in 1993 and lasted until 2011. aside from tweaks to 6pm (as has been said, Simpsons was at 7pm for a bit) but it always came back to the regular lineup.

1 Like

The Simpsons didn’t have the 6.00 timeslot to itself for that whole time. There were times during the '90s Ten tried other shows at 6.00. I think classic hits like Happy Days and MASH were thrown in there along the way but there was also the game show Battle Of The Sexes which IIRC started at 6.00 but later moved to 7.00.

Didn’t Ten try Jeopardy with Tony Barber at 6pm?

Yes I know that. It seems Ten didn’t like Simpsons at 6 and tried to replace it but the replacement failed and Simpsons kept coming back. IIRC in-between Eleven’s launch and the Ten News Revolution Ten and Eleven both aired Neighbours at 6:30pm (not sure if different episodes or simulcasts) and Simpsons was 6pm on Ten and 7:30pm on Eleven.

That was all around 98/99 the next time they tried to really push The Simpsons from 6 was 2007-2009 when they tried things like Friends, Will & Grace and The Bold & The Beautiful

2 Likes

and I’ve just been reminded of Echo Point that launched at 7.00 in 1995 up against Home And Away, then when it flopped – which everyone except Ten saw coming – it got moved to 6.00. It still flopped and then it was axed and left to serve out its remaining days in late nights.

1 Like

The only thing I remember of that show was that Dougie the Pizza Boy was in the cast.

1 Like

And a young Rose Byrne

1 Like

Today’s TV: 5 February 2010, Perth

This marked the end for 9am with David and Kim on CHannel 10. Ironically, there were highlights over the summer break. A new morning talk show, The Circle (which had 4 female presenters) would replace the 9am with David and Kim.

3 Likes

Looks like they moved Simpsons to 7pm that week replacing Becker repeats according to this thread on whirlpool. They must have thought Sabrina wasn’t strong enough for the 7pm slot and they didn’t have anything else?

ew Malcolm in the Middle at 6pm. I think Sabrina lasted longer in that slot

Only lasted the 09/10 summer

Today’s TV:

6.2.1980, Melbourne

6.2.1984, Southern NSW

6.2.1996, Sydney

Source: TV Week

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 6 February 2006, Perth

SBS used to broadcast the NFL Super Bowl.

4 Likes

The first few years SBS had it, they had Don Lane (coming over from the ABC) hosting the coverage in what would turn out to be his final TV gig of note.

In their later years, Ed Wyatt hosted with Colin Scotts (who briefly played for the St Louis Cardinals in 1987, becoming the first Aussie to play in the NFL a position other than punter) as a studio analyst.

Morning TV lineups used to be so much better before 7 and 9 got morning shows.

3 Likes