Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV: Wednesday 7 February 2007, Perth
Source: The West Australian

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 13 February 2010, Perth

There was a typo error saying WEekend Today on Channel 7 instead of Weekend Sunrise. On that day, Channel 7 expanded a Saturday edition of Weekend Sunrise, hosted by Larry Emdur and Sam Armytage.

Quite a heavy sports schedule on WIN there - the AFL, the 2010 Olympics and the Rugby League.

2 Likes

14 February 2000
Source: SMH

Seven and Ten not even trying at 7:30pm.

5 Likes

I remember Millionaire being in the weeknight 7:00pm slot for a while… perhaps Sale was in the process of a revamp? Because I know they were rebranding to Sale of the New Century (for the year 2000 only, though).

1 Like

Today’s TV: 14 February 2006, Perth, WA

Channel 9 screened a One Day Cricket Final between Australia and Sri Lanka at the Gabba, Brisbane. However, the match was shown on a delayed telecast in WA. After the cricket telecast concluded, Nine aired Temptation at a later timeslot at 10:15 pm.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 14.2.1988, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

The first day of ratings for 1988 includes the return of Business Sunday, Sunday, Vox Populi and 60 Minutes, the debut of Ten’s new local sports/magazine show Sportz Crazy and variety import The Dolly Show, and Nine’s coverage of the opening ceremony of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

3 Likes

Winter Olympics was also on delay

1 Like

Back then I think the Winter Olympics were only restricted to nightly highlights. It was only when Nine broadcast Vancouver 2010 that they would treat the event the same as its summer counterpart in terms of all-day broadcasting.

I also wonder how the Commonwealth Games prior to 2006 were covered, specifically Manchester 2002 (which Seven televised).

4 Likes

Todays TV: 15 Feb 2007, Perth

3 Likes

Pretty comprehensive from memory. Here’s a guide from 2 August 2002
https://web.archive.org/web/20020802145535/http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/feature/33/

Salt Lake was decent (at least on this particular day) Looks like live coverage all morning and into the afternoon with afternoon and primetime highlights.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020222233328/http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/feature/33/

Turino 2006 was the shit coverage with hardly anything live.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 15 Feb 2010, Perth

2 Likes

Certainly the coverage of Auckland 1990 was comprehensive enough on Channel 9 to have the summer’s Cricket schedule basically pushed back allowing Australia to tour New Zealand in January. It was in essence the return of Ray Warren to the national stage doing the swimming, with that and Athletics getting the big share of coverage (there weren’t as many sports to cover in 1990), although Darrell Eastlake doing the weightlifting got the headlines, being so loud they had to find a soundproof booth for him to call.

1994 coincided with QTV rebranding to 10 Queensland on the opening ceremony. Again much focus on swimming and athletics with Stephen Quartermain calling the swimming with Norman May in what I believe was his last TV spot (he did at least 2 more Olympics for ABC Radio).

1998 was during the NRL finals so coverage of that kicked in as well as the Comm Games. With more sports to cover (debut of Netball, Rugby 7s and Hockey, only appearance for men’s 50 over cricket which were NOT ODIs) and being in a friendlier timezone (Kuala Lumpur I believe is an hour behind Perth time) we got decent daytime coverage. Yes swimming got its usual high rotation and the athletics had Terry McAuliffe (Adelaide race caller) at the mic.

1 Like

Both cities, as well as China and Hong Kong among others, are in the same time zone. This means that all of WA would’ve gotten the 2008 Summer Olympics and last year’s Winter Olympics in “real time”.

2 Likes

Day 2 opening of coverage

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 16 Feb 2011, Perth
Source: THe WEst Australian

I noticed that Channel 10 had a encore of 6pm with George Negus at 10:30 pm before TEN Late NEws/Sports Tonight. I wonder whether the 6pm with George Negus had stabilised in the ratings in the 6pm timeslot.

3 Likes

i doubt it given that they’d bumped it from 6.00 shortly after

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion that while moving George Negus to 6:30 didn’t improve the ratings, it at least was a sensible move as 1) it wouldn’t have to compete against the 6:00pm bulletins on Seven and Nine and 2) it would’ve provided Ten a point of difference against TT and ACA.

A shame the George Negus experiment didn’t work, though it was nice for them to finish on 200 episodes.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 16 February 2006, Perth

Channel 9 broadcasted a special presentation of the Life of Kerry Packer.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 19.2.1988, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 20 February 2010

A very heavy sports schedule on WIN with the 2010 Winter Games, Horse Racing, the NAB Cup AFL, Netball

3 Likes