Classic TV Listings

I love that The Richard Simmons Show was being shown on a station servicing mining communities in 1984.

3 Likes

IIRC in addition to serving mining communities like Tom Price, Paraburdoo and Newman, I think that it also had stations on islands like Cockatoo Is.

2 Likes

I thought the ABC (via the NTA - now BAI) would set up those own transmitters that would broadcast delayed programming from ABC NT/ABC SA by tape (which would be the common sense reason of the change in programming affiliation) @myfriend

Also did Mining TV have graphics back then @myfriend ?

2 Likes

When you say tapes sent from Perth, were these official “clean” dubs or just taped off-air (so would be complete with network PRGs etc)?

The BFBS service serving British troops in places like Germany initially relied on material taped on VCR from the BBC and ITV, but it looked kind of professional with in-vision announcers and station clocks. Eventually they got a microwave link from the UK and showed news broadcasts and some other programming live. There were no commercials, so when taking a live feed of an ITV broadcast, the ads were replaced by “continues shortly” captions and library music. I digress, but were the mining stations something similar - was there any advertising?

1 Like

I’m not familiar enough with it to know how content was curated or presented. Suffice to say, though, I gather it was a very basic service. Any local graphics or presentation, if any, would have been very limited.

I believe so, at least when commercial programming was included, probably not when it was ABC content, but again my knowledge is vague on this.

From what i understand these were privately owned by the mining operators and not considered national infrastructure installed or maintained by the PMG/Telecom (as it was then). They were licenced as “translator” services, neither commercial or ABC services., but they did have callsigns. From memory, Gove in NT had GOVR 10 or something like that. I did have a list somewhere I’ll try to find it

2 Likes

Melbourne TV: Friday 24 November 2000
from The Age

7 Likes

The transmitter upgrade for ABC after 11pm would have been to install digital transmission equipment.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, this would’ve been in the week that Peter Mitchell took over from David Johnston and Anne Fulwood as the anchor of Seven News.

1 Like

The Morning Shift… from memory this was presented from a Sydney Harbour Studio?

Sunrise News returned mid year (2000) from Memory after a year off in 1999.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 24 November 2005, Perth
Source: The West Australian

Game show, The Price is Right went to air for the final time and Larry Emdur sadly departed the Nine Network at the end of 2005. Unfortunately, the TPIR ratings have experienced a decline from the start of 2005. (When TPIR moved to an earlier timeslot at 5pm in Perth, the ratings tanked, and losing to 10 News and MASH in its timeslot). Meanwhile, Seven dominated in the afternoon timeslot thanks to Andrew O’Keefe’s show Deal or No Deal and Bec Maddern hosting the 4:30PM News.

4 Likes

It also had an effect on National Nine News, as TPIR was moved for Coronation St, and the ratings tanked because of a horrible lead-in and never returned.

3 Likes

I believe it was from 2003/4 when Deal or No Deal was placed against it. TPIR had a revamp from the start of 2005, and I believe it was extended to an hour to get a head of Deal or No Deal. Then Bert’s Family Feud / Wheel of Fortune took the slot until Hot Seat arrived.

3 Likes

I think it was 2004 they moved it to 5:30, It debuted in 2003 as a once-a-week thing on Sunday nights with a top prize of $2,000,000

There were other things like Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt, and The Brady Bunch in between Family Feud ending and the revamped Wheel of Fortune in 2008.

1 Like

It was presented from Harbourside Shopping Centre at Darling Harbour from memory.

1 Like

Also, interesting to note this was the start of Sunrise extending its time gradually from a 1 hour programme. From memory it extended to 8.00am then 8.30am through 2001.

1 Like

According to The Age (from an article published on Saturday 11 November), David Johnston and Anne Fulwood presented their last bulletin together the previous night (10 November). Peter Mitchell became the new permanent weeknight anchor on Monday 13 November. On that day’s edition of the paper, there’s an advert promoting Mitchell’s new role that says “If matters to Melbourne, it matters to Peter Mitchell. Seven News, weeknights at 6.00”.

3 Likes

What actually happened at this time? Were rattings that bad in Melbourne?

David Johnson ended up leaving, then (I believe) retuned 2 years later with Anne Fulwood moving back to Sydney to take on the Late News. Jennifer Adams took weekends in Melbourne.

2 Likes

I don’t think he actually left i think he just did other newsreading fill in roles, weekends, covering for holidays, etc., until the 4.30 bulletin started.

4 Likes

Also hosted that weird travel show HSV had for a while, Discover.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 24 NOvember 2011, Perth
Source: The West Australian

3 Likes