Classic TV Listings

Does anyone remember if The Big Breakfast featured that bus set that would carry over into The Big Arvo?

Big Breakfast was a house

2 Likes

Big Arvo was the bus.

2 Likes

There were a bunch of times Ten tried other shows at 6 pm to replace The Simpsons but in the end they always ended up going back to The Simpsons even after the 2011 News Revolution failed they went back to The Simpsons at 6 pm.

3 Likes

I think 1999 was the first time they tried The Simpsons in the weeknight 7pm slot. It must’ve worked well as a few years later it would air at 6pm and 7pm.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 22 NOvember 2006, Perth
Source: The West Australian

Back then, Good Chef Bad Chef was previously on the Seven Network through to 2007. This show was put on hiatus from 2008. However, the show was picked up by Network Ten in early 2011.
I noticed that 7th Heaven took over the midday timeslot at midday on TEN, replacing the Medical Investigation. THe midday timeslot was a problem for 10 and have changed programs.

2 Likes

That was kind of a summer staple for Ten at 12 pm for a few years.

2 Likes

Good Chef Bad Chef was also shown by WIN around 2007 during the affiliation disagreement.

3 Likes

Great post, look at all those regional variations, a lot of them home shopping, but some not, like NBN airing The Sullivans in place of National Nine Morning News and My Favourite Martian in place of Step By Step.

2 Likes

I don’t think you could air repeats of 7th Heaven these days.

1 Like

Nope, They pulled from Eleven when that thing broke in 2014 and it hasn’t been seen on TV since. At the time I think that was the only show other than a Raymond that constantly aired on Eleven from launch day.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 22 NOvember 2010, Perth
Source: The West Australian

2 Likes

Good News Week would return the following year as the more skit-based Good News World. The new format would not be well-received.

Is that the version that added the Sammy J & Randy sketches? Because those are pretty good.

Yes it was.

Listings for the Mining Television Network in WA for 27-23 November 1984.

I know we’ve mentioned “mining” stations before but my memory is vague. How did they differ from other regional stations? Am I right in thinking they had no technical links to any other stations and relied on tapes of off-air recordings? Or am I confusing them with something else?

6 Likes

Wasn’t “Mining Television Network” just another name for VEW?

1 Like

Mining Television Network was a separate entity. (VEW8 was branded “Mid-Western TV” or MWTV for a time before it got taken over by GWN)

AFAIK it was really just a network of low powered transmitters at mining sites/towns with a glorified VCR hooked up and programming was provided on tapes sent around from Perth. There were also some Mining Television sites in the Northern Territory. In the early days of the system (early 1970s) the transmitters broadcast ABC programming from tape but at some point in time this changed to commercial programming. I don’t know how or why that came about.

The network was basically made redundant when the Aussat satellite went up and the commercial satellite services like Imparja and GWN took over those transmitters.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 23 November 2004, Perth
Source: THe West Australian

4 Likes

I didn’t even know this was a thing back in the day. :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes