Classic TV Listings

Normally they would show the match live or with minimal delay, especially a daytime match with no other commitments at that time, yet still delayed it for four hours. Unusual indeed.

Think he meant that the match was already over before they started airing it in regional WA.

2 Likes

Todays TV: 25 Sep 2010, Perth
Source: The West Australian

7mate was launched on that day, replacing 7HD as Seven’s Only HD channel. 7 and 7mate simulcasted the AFL Grand Final on that day.

2 Likes

it was shown live on Ten West (digital) which would suggest WIN’s delayed broadcast was to allow access to viewers still on analogue, with the live broadcast an incentive to get people to convert to digital.

4 Likes

That does makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 25.9.1987, Melbourne

Queensland

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 26 September 2009, Perth

Quite a heavy TEN lineup on WIN with AFL being shown during the daytime.

4 Likes

Re: 25.9.87 - surprised to see Sons and Daughters repeats on BTQ7 at 3pm. Had they finished the first run by then (none of the other metros had, and I thought BTQ was a year or so behind!). Unless the repeat symbol is an error, and this is still the first run?

Earlier in the year (May), BTQ7 was screening Sons And Daughters weekdays at 5.30pm, not marked as repeats.

But by September and even in October, any first-run episodes were not seen in the schedule, with only the 3.00pm screening marked as re-runs. It is not clear if the marked re-runs are in error (unlikely) or if perhaps they had gone back to repeating early episodes in the mid-afternoon, with the first-run episodes put on hold? Hard to tell with the limited information I have available.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 27 Sep 2004, Perth

Seven and TEN both ran movies at midday.

2 Likes

If they were showing it five nights a week at 5.30, there’s a possibility they completed it before September (as that’s 2.5 times the pace ATN and HSV were showing it in 1987). Had Melbourne and Sydney continued to show two hours a week in 1987 they would have completed it by the middle of the year. I assume production ceased around Easter. All this depends on how far behind BTQ were, and as you say, there is limited information about. I think they were pretty much in sync with MEL/SYD around mid-1985, from an article I’ve seen about Belinda Giblin’s introduction at Brisbane pace.

1 Like

I am not familiar with the storylines of S&D by this stage but the only episode synopses I can locate so far for Brisbane for 1986/1987:

• “Alison and David put their plan into action. Ginny is caught out” – BTQ7, Tuesday 4 November 1986

• “Ginny puts the lessons she’s learnt from arch-manipulator Alison to good use. Caroline plots to destroy Wayne’s marriage” – BTQ7, Wednesday 5 November 1986. (S&D airing Tuesday and Wednesday nights 7.30pm in one-hour episodes)

• “Doug has a few shocks in store him for him when he returns unexpectedly from the States. Debbie’s love for a horse puts her job in jeopardy. Alison and Doug discover a vital clue concerning Caroline’s disappearance” – BTQ7, Thursday 12 February 1987. (TV Week had S&D listed only for airing on one-hour episodes on Thursday 7.30pm-8.30pm).

• “Who is the mysterious man in Susan’s life?” – BTQ7, Wednesday 3 June 1987 (S&D airing weeknights 5.30pm-6pm)

1 Like

Thanks @TelevisionAU - that’s really helpful. It looks like in 1986 BTQ were about two months behind ATN/HSV. The February 1987 synopsis refers to storylines from November 1986, so it seems they were falling a little further behind (but would catch up a bit due to the ATN/HSV end of season break).

I’m not quite sure yet which episode the June 1987 synopsis refers to, but if BTQ continued at a pace of 2.5hrs a week, this is at least eight weeks before the finale. It’s looking possible that they managed to complete the series by about August.

By the way, 19 August 1987 was cited for a long time as the date the final episode aired, which we know is utter bunkum for Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. I wonder if that was the date BTQ completed the show, and if were the first station in Australia to do so (which explains where that date came from)?

2 Likes

An interesting theory. Could be right, there. Would certainly be unusual for Brisbane to wrap up ahead of Sydney and Melbourne, but given the show’s very fluid scheduling during that last year across different cities, i guess it’s possible

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 28 SEptember 2007, Perth

Channel 10 even broadcasted a RWC match which doesn’t involve the Wallabies.

5 Likes

Today’s TV:

28.9.1976, Melbourne

28.9.1982, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

2 Likes

Yes, and for every game they had their own presenters, set and commentary team all in France.

These days they would host it out of a studio in Sydney, only show Wallabies games and use host broadcaster commentary.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 29 September 2006, Perth

Seven screened a special of the Greatest Grand Finals (even though Seven didn’t have the AFL rights).
TEN News and SPorts Tonight was shown at 12:40am and 1:10am the following day.

3 Likes

None of whom (Rupert McCall, Ben Tune, Ben Darwin from memory) had any prior experience of calling Rugby matches on TV, and none of whom have returned since.

Today’s TV: 30 September 2011, Perth

End of the line for TEN Late News and Sports Tonight. This also marked the end for Deborah Knight who has left Network TEN to head over to Channel Nine

4 Likes

Melbourne TV: Sunday 1 October 1978
from The Age

ATV0
8.30 You Say the Word
9.30 Hour of Power
10.30 Mass for You at Home
11.00 Greek Affair
12.00 Variety Italian Style
1.00 Racing Review (Saturday’s racing)
1.45 Movie “Montana”
3.10 Movie “Adventures of Robin Hood”
5.00 The High Chaparral
6.00 News (includes News Magazine)
6.30 Johnny Young’s Sunday Special “Jacques Cousteau: Life at the End of the World”
7.30 Bionic Woman
8.30 Dallas (part 1 of 3 of the miniseries that predated the regular series)
10.30 Steve Raymond: Television’s 22 Years (premiere)
11.30 Frankie Howerd
12.00 sign-off

ABV2
10.15 test pattern/music
10.30 World Chess Championship 1978
11.00 Divine Service (from Adelaide)
12.00 Vision in Mind (today’s program looks at Sydney artist Eric Smith)
12.30 Living Tomorrow
12.45 Sow What
1.00 Four Corners (repeat)
2.00 The Winners (highlights of the VFL Grand Final, played on Saturday)
3.00 A Big Country
3.30 Movie “With a Song in My Heart”
5.15 Yak
5.30 Shari Show (premiere)
6.00 Countdown
6.55 Weather
7.00 News
7.15 Weekend Magazine
7.40 Marie Curie (BBC drama series; part 1 of 5)
8.30 The Long Search (BBC documentary)
9.20 News
9.30 The Turbulent Percy Grainger Plays Again
10.05 The Prince of Denmark (1974 BBC comedy starring Ronnie Corbett)
10.35 sign-off

HSV7
7.40 test pattern/music
7.55 Auto Racing: Hardie Ferodo 1000
5.30 It’s Academic
6.00 News (includes Camera Seven)
6.30 Wonderful World of Disney “For the Love of Willadean” (conclusion)
7.30 This is Your Life (hosted by Roger Climpson)
8.00 Father Dear Father
8.30 Movie “Sharon: Portrait of a Mistress”
10.20 Movie “Ziegfeld Follies” (1945 flick; introduced by Ivan Hutchison)
12.25 Insight
followed by sign-off

GTV9
6.00 Thunderbirds
7.00 Star Trek (cartoon)
7.30 Look, Listen, Laugh & Learn
8.00 Day of Discovery
8.30 Good News
9.00 Rex Humbard Hour
10.00 Youth Speaks for Australia
10.52 Point of View
11.00 Religious Feature “The Holy Shroud of Turin”
11.30 You, Me and Education
12.00 World Championship Wrestling
1.00 Movie “Just My Luck”
2.30 Movie “The March Hare”
4.00 Curiosity Show
5.00 Star Trek
6.00 News (includes Sunday Magazine)
6.30 New Faces (hosted by Bert Newton)
7.30 Happy Days (2 episodes)
8.30 Movie “Soldier Blue”
10.30 Movie “Marty” (introduced by Philip Brady)
12.30 Movie “The Resurrection of Zachary Wheeler”
2.15 Movie “The People”
3.30 Movie “The Angry Red Planet”
5.00 Edgar Wallace

2 Likes