Classic TV Listings

Wrong - Rob “Coach” Fulton was the first millionaire, four weeks before Martin Flood.

There were allegations Flood cheated his way to the top prize but after an investigation by Channel Nine he was cleared of any misconduct.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 19.8.967, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Because of its extended length, The Godfather had to be split into two parts which would be shown across two nights. In that case, part one would screen one night and part two the next.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 20.8.2009, Melbourne. Free-to-Air

8 Likes

All that new content across the night on Nine and Ten, just doesn’t happen now. Ten often just repeat whatever they aired three days ago ad nauseam.

3 Likes

And that was probably a repeat too! :joy:

1 Like

Todays TV: 21 August 2008, Perth, WA
Source: The West Australian

Unusual that SBS showed a 30 minute highlight show of the Opening Ceremony at 5:30pm. Channel 7 showed a chockful of live primetime events including hte canoeing, the athletics, the diving and equestrian.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 21.8.1993, Northern Territory and GTS/BKN

My memory is lacking but my vague recollection is that SBS was available via the Aussat satellite but was not available via any terrestrial sites in NT until at least 1994

4 Likes

TOday’s TV: 22 Aug 2005, Perth
Source: THe West Australian

NOticed that Cheez TV was replaced by Toasted TV in the morning timeslot.

3 Likes

Shepparton was the last regional city to get SBS in the late 90s.

1 Like

Cheez TV barely existed throughout 2005, The last show with actual wrap-around segments was in 2004. Prior to Toasted TV debuting the name Cheez TV existed just as a cartoon block with no wrap-arounds.

7 Likes

Mt Gambier didn’t get SBS until a few weeks before the 98 World Cup.

3 Likes

November 2001.

3 Likes

Shepparton had to wait that long to get SBS?

1 Like

Yes unfortunately. When the rest of regional Victoria (Ballarat, Bendigo, Gippsland and Albury) got SBS in 1991-92, Shepparton missed out even though a frequency was allocated. The reason being that the Keating Government of the day deemed Shepparton as not a big enough population to warrant an SBS service. Shepparton got Prime, VIC TV (WIN) and Southern Cross in 1992, their ABC service moved from VHF to UHF. SC with severe transmission problems in the first few years of aggregation, their transmitter was often went off the air in the middle of programming. So much so that viewers there continued to watch SC via BCV8 Bendigo until analogue switchoff in 2011. When Bendigo got SBS most Sheppartonians (my parents included) got a third antenna to receive it. Even today you still see three-antenna setups in Shepparton.

Also parts of Melbourne could not get SBS on its UHF-28 frequency because of its hilly topography, and most apartment blocks only had VHF antennas and couldn’t cough up the cash to buy a UHF antenna. It wasn’t until the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy when you saw UHF antennas in homes in Melbourne. The UHF reception problem was remedied when the digital restack happened, SBS got moved to VHF-7 with a more powerful signal. Programming wise SBS is a different beast today than what it was in the 1980s and 1990s: foreign language programmes were moved to online, and nowadays lots of docos on railways, emergency wards of hospitals and Adolf Hitler’s reign in WWII.

4 Likes

I noticed in this test pattern some areas received SBS on more than one channel.

YouTube: Australian TV Fan

4 Likes

Usually one high power and one or more lower power translators - like Adelaide with main 28 + Adelaide Foothills on 43; Sydney with 28 + Kings Cross 58.

3 Likes

Wagga Wagga got an SBS service (I presume this was the lower-powered Willans Hill and not the main SW Slopes transmitters at Mt Ulandra) in 1989, along with Goulburn, Mittagong and Cooma were the first regional areas to get SBS. I also remember Nymagee in outback Western NSW (population of around 100) having an SBS service as well, I’m sure the locals would love that! Since replaced with VAST via satellite.

1 Like

Order In The House on a Saturday, rather than Sunday night.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 22 August 2008, Perth
Source: The West Australian

Channel 7 broadcasted a broad range of events including the athletics (where my father was at the Beijing National Stadium), the cycling, taekwondo, diving, gymnastics and synchronized swimming. Over on SBS, they had the Men’s Bronze Medal Soccer match between Brazil and Belgium. They didn’t show the half-time analysis and went straight to World News Australia.
I even noticed that 7 Perth showed Saturday Disney at 5:30am (which was quite strange, even thoguh it was a Friday Guide.

I didn’t realise that Nine showed Seinfeld at 11:45pm straight after the Late News.

4 Likes