Classic TV Listings

Today’s Olympic themed classic TV guide from July 20, 1996

Source: The Age Green Guide

7 Likes

Also on WIN for Mildura, with pretty easy opt-outs from their schedule.

1 Like

Back in the day when we only had 1 commercial TV network! Prime would eventually arrive in 1997. Then Ten in 2006.
Occasionally for big events (not on Nine), Win Mildura would cherry pick other channels programs ie: Olympics (and AFL football)

2 Likes

Now we have Streaming Services delivering Every Single Event no matter where we live.

and WIN Mildura pre-Prime and pre-WINTen carried Seven and Ten’s big movies, plus Beyond 2000 from Seven.

There was also a time, maybe in the early 2000’s, when Win Mildura tried a “thank god its Friday” type line up with some Of Ten’s more popular shows - from memory it was The Simpsons (8.30), the X Files (9pm) and The Panel (10pm). The Simpsons didn’t last long because it was apparently too offensive for the Mildura audience! (There were letters to the editor etc in the local paper about it!).

4 Likes

oh all the shows to find offensive, that is the one that tips people over the edge?! :laughing:

Sydney TV: Tuesday 21 July 1987
from Sydney Morning Herald

3 Likes

That was the time when Ten had the rights to NSWRL premiership but Nine had the rights to tests (and presumably State of Origin).

Today’s TV: 21.7.1979, Melbourne

21.7.1984, Sydney

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 22.7.1993, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Look no Simpsons anywhere on the schedule!

1 Like

I seem to recall it was towards the end of 1993 when Ten began airing repeats of The Simpsons. Being an early teenager at the time, I thought all my Christmases had come at once!

2 Likes

Ten’s 6pm repeats of The Simpsons began (the first time) on Monday August 20, 1993 after Jeopardy with Tony Barber ended on Friday the 17th.

4 Likes

A bit sooner than I can recall. Thanks for that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Didn’t they have a brief period in the late-90s when they aired MASH in the 6 pm timeslot?

1 Like

i have a tape of Home Alone on ten from late 1993 that advertises Simpsons at 6 starting the next week

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. Just one of many programs Ten has tried out at 6pm over the years.

And The Simpsons being their most successful to the point they had to bring it back after their extended News block failed in 2011 and before they revamped Family Feud.

yup i remember Brady Bunch at 6 at one point in the 90s

1 Like