Classic TV Listings

Yes I remember that too. Odd that they never thought of relaying Brisbane kid shows in that era. With no satellite or microwave available, the show would have delivered by tape then courier to the next station in line like they did for many of night time shows. Regional QLD was also around 6 months to get a show behind Brisbane for instance.

First weekend of programs on CTC-7 Canberra, 2-3 June 1962. Canberra Times via NLA Trove.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18359077_10209069914849564_1793716928294369184_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=280e83fbf0cf0741a43dc0afbe7ace7e&oe=59C1D308
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18403829_10209069913769537_3067855727588457251_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8b51da2d6ecfb40ef93425f89b126277&oe=59C2C4A7

1 Like

Sydney, 25 April 1957. The first ANZAC Day after the introduction of television. ATN had live coverage of the Dawn Service in Martin Place, and all three channels covered the march.

SMH Google archives.

1 Like

Today’s TV listing is Sunday 13 May 1979 for Melbourne.

Source: TV Times

• SBS conducts a test transmission of “ethnic TV” on ABV2
  • ABC launches a new arts program, called Sunday Spectrum, hosted by Tanya Halesworth.
  • This Fabulous Century looks at the history of Australian music
  • Mass For You At Home, every Sunday morning as it still is now
2 Likes

Today’s TV, 20 May 1978:

Source: Scene

• No Hey Hey It’s Saturday. Daryl & Ossie had packed up to go to Channel 0 with a new show to launch later in the year.
  • Denise Drysdale is a guest on Young Talent Time
  • Even ABC is listed to displaying Tattslotto results
  • Speaking of ABC, they had no problem broadcasting the Qantas Table Tennis Tournament :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Junior Jury, a production of SAS10 in Adelaide, is broadcast on ATV0 in the afternoon
3 Likes

The ABC used to be more liberal in their use of corporate sponsor names for sport. Seems to have crept back in a touch the last few years especially with women’s golf broadcasts (well that’s about all they do these days).

They also used to broadcast Esso Night At The Opera.

2 Likes

Definitely has crept back in both on TV and Radio in recent years. I wonder why that is…

Seeing as I haven’t filed this copy of Scene away, here’s Sunday 21 May 1978:

• Vintage matinee movies, even on ABC.
  • VFA Football on ATV0: Geelong West v Coburg. No Sunday VFL (AFL).
  • All 4 channels filling out their Sunday news bulletins with ‘magazine’ segments, including Camera 7, Sunday Magazine (Nine) and Weekend Magazine (ABC). Presumably Sunday was always a slow news day. (And coincidentally, HSV7 also had a program called Sunday Magazine in the morning. IIRC Seven’s was a religious discussion program)
  • Channel 9 has a Golden Years Of Hollywood. I am assuming this had no connection to the same name that applied to Channel 10 in the 1980s. AFAIK Bill Collins was connected to ATN7 in Sydney at this particular time.
  • Pre-SBS days, the only “ethnic” TV to be found is Greek Affair and Variety Italian Style, and the WIN4-based You Say The Word, which was an English tutorial series. I vaguely recall it featured actors performing various scenarios and one was a young Paula Duncan.

And while I’m at it, here’s Monday 22 May.

• Seven’s movie double in the afternoon (which includes cartoons) implies school holidays, but ABC is still running schools programs, although a reduced schedule of mornings only.
  • Monday Conference, on ABC at 9.20pm, a 1970s predecessor to Q&A, in a similar timeslot.
  • The Don Lane Show includes Johnny Farnham, Joan Armatrading, Tommy Hanlon Jnr, while The Peter Couchman Show (Mon-Thu) presents a local variety and chat show alternative on Channel 0.
3 Likes

Here’s Thursday 22 May 1975 for Melbourne:

• School holidays means Hey Hey It’s Holidays with Marilyn Mayo from The Super Flying Fun Show.
  • Peter Hitchener reads the news from Melbourne for News Centre 9, with Brian Henderson reading in Sydney.
  • The Ernie Sigley Show features guest star Denis Walter, who was probably about 16 then :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Plenty of Australian drama in the evening – Matlock Police, Division 4, Number 96 and The Box – plus repeats of Homicide and Matlock Police in the afternoon.
  • Channel 7 has its traditional League Teams, while Channel 0 has its own VFA Teams which was no doubt a lot less informal

And the same day in Tasmania:

Source: TV Week

2 Likes

So Hey Hey It’s Holidays was like HHIS?

and here is a clip from Ross D Wylie’s Late Movie hosting “The Delphi Bureau”, (12.35am, Channel 0) I presume it was recorded that day. It had extended commercials mainly live commercials from sponsors such as Big Apple Mazda in Sunshine and Doug Thorley Caravans in Fawkner. I presume this was pre-recorded during the week and not broadcast live to air. Courtesy Youtuber “oldtvhistory”

Have often wondered if back in the day if you’d have a good large rooftop antenna and lived in somwhere like Tunbridge you could get both TVT 6 from Hobart and TNT 9 from Launceston and get the best of both worlds so to speak

1 Like

I would love nothing more than to say what a coincidence to have the movie hosting from the same day, but unfortunately I think this recording was from 1979, as Ross makes mention of the upcoming Deafness Appeal telethon which took place on 31 August - 1 September that year.

When I go back to the guides, there was another screening of The Delphi Bureau on Saturday 11 August 1979, 11.45pm. I suspect this recording was of that airdate instead.

Like you say I imagine these hosting segments were taped earlier in the day or week. Can’t imagine Mr Ansett willing to pay staff overtime to keep the lights going that late in the night :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Channel 0 (as well as the others) often repeated their movies at least once a year, but these days sometimes are repeated more often (on most occasions one screening on main channel and another one a few weeks late on a sub-channel)

On Young Talent Time, Johnny Young always introduced​ him as: “the incredible voice of Mr Denis Walter”!!

Residents around Smithton and Stanley in far north west Tasmania would receive their TV from Mt Barrow at Launceston, I live in Devonport and that is where we receive ours at over 100km distance. I know that at places around Deloraine (half way between Launceston and Devonport) you can get the Hobart radio stations and at the Risdon Road intersection on the Brooker Highway leading into Hobart you can also receive the Launceston radio stations and I believe in the past could receive the TV as well.

Saturday 27 May 1967, the day of the 1967 Referendum:

Source: TV Times

• Only ABV2 had any sort of referendum coverage with just brief updates during the evening although the commercial channels did have late news scheduled.
  • Meanwhile, ATV0 showing The Black And White Minstrels showed that we still had a way to go yet toward racial harmony
  • Earlier in the night, VFL replays on three channels between 6 and 7pm, followed by Football Inquest on Seven and Football Today on Nine.
  • Channel 0’s afternoon coverage of VFA Football is interrupted with updates from the Ballan races.
  • Children’s variety show Brian And The Juniors at 12.30pm is possibly a repeat as the show is also airing at 5.00pm on Sundays. Seven also has repeats of its former kids/game show Video Village and drama series Consider Your Verdict.
2 Likes

and just found that I had the Adelaide listing for the same day:

• Again it appears only ABC has coverage of the Referendum results. Channels 7 and 10 don’t even have any news service on a Saturday. NWS9 at least has a regular 6.30pm bulletin.
  • NWS9 has the pop music show Where The Action Is which was a ITS (0-10) Network production in the eastern states. One that SAS10 may have passed up on.
  • SAS10’s Today show runs six mornings a week.

Source: TV Week

1 Like

Was World Championship Wrestling on ADS7 the same program that was on TCN9 and GTV9?